• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

The cutoff is crazy!  I have a friend 15-20 minutes away near Frederick with nothing, got about 2" here in Germantown, and my wife's brother in Bethesda near the DC line got 8!  (I couldn't believe it then I saw a spotter report of 8.5 just down the street from them).  Wow

Bad part is my niece in rural Anne Arundel has no power as with many people.  Hope they get it back quick as tonight will be frigid!

Select snowfall totals through 1 pm EST:

Baltimore: 6.8" (old record: 1.6", 1988)
Washington, DC: 6.7" (old record: 2.4", 1988)

The snowfall was also Washington, DC's highest daily snowfall following a day on which the temperature reached 63° or above. The old record was 5.7", which fell on February 17, 1967.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The cutoff is crazy!  I have a friend 15-20 minutes away near Frederick with nothing, got about 2" here in Germantown, and my wife's brother in Bethesda near the DC line got 8!  (I couldn't believe it then I saw a spotter report of 8.5 just down the street from them).  Wow

Bad part is my niece in rural Anne Arundel has no power as with many people.  Hope they get it back quick as tonight will be frigid!

Do the Bethesda friends live in Chevy Chase? Either way they have to be less than one or two miles from me. I haven't gone out to measure (work ugh), but I was eyeballing anywhere between 5-7" by the looks of it. 8.5" seems high!

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select snowfall totals through 1 pm EST:

Baltimore: 6.8" (old record: 1.6", 1988)
Washington, DC: 6.7" (old record: 2.4", 1988)

The snowfall was also Washington, DC's highest daily snowfall following a day on which the temperature reached 63° or above. The old record was 5.7", which fell on February 17, 1967.

Also 3.9” at IAD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amped said:

NWS went lower than models too, but not that low.

There was plenty of reason to be cautious with the strong gradient and to be skeptical of the loltastic 10-18” Kuchera amounts. But widespread warning criteria snow was not a surprise.