Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Solid 8 in" across the river from her.

We may have lost a rose bush. Went out to knock all the snow off of our trees and boxwoods and found the rose bush laying dead flat and looking very perturbed.

i sent her out to measure as she was saying "about 4". I laughed at her and said she had more than that. 

Hope your bushes end up okay! 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

i sent her out to measure as she was saying "about 4". I laughed at her and said she had more than that. 

Hope your bushes end up okay! 

Yeah your mom definitely got more than that. Heading back out to very gently get the snow off the split leaf maple.

Screenshot_20220103-122136.png

• Like 5

The GFS led the way with this system, let us not forget. I even recall it had *something* at times for Jan 3-4 10-14 days out. 

In the near term, NAM3 did well, as did the HRRR and RGEM (generally). The sharp deformation and S-N gradient was nailed. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9.5", and still SN. Impressive, and easily the wettest/pastiest snow we've had here in many years. Magnolias, dogwoods and myrtles taking a huge hit everywhere you look...that's a little sad. That wire now resting across my front yard is my tenuous Verizon FiOS connection to you and the rest of the world...and is somehow still working.

PXL_20220103_162802126_MPa.thumb.jpg.f12f1a22c53e12a53e33404c63f96e34.jpg

• Like 11

6.5" final. Biggest La Nina snowfall since Jan 26 2011 (8.1"). 5" fell from 8am-12, including 2"/hr rates for part of that duration. Great storm, can't wait for the deep winter conditions tonight and tomorrow morning. 

Oh btw, I completely forgot to change my location back to McLean due to winter break. Apologies

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I missed thundersnow? My worst fear!

How'd you do down there?

I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. I live up near Hollymead, very close to Cho airport. We ended up with about 8". All done at this point and warmer temps are dropping snow bombs off the trees. Power also out

• Like 1