• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

A solid 4-8” snowfall (lollipops above 10”) for many around the 95 metros with temps under freezing in early January. A day after being 60 degrees. Cannot complain. Over a foot in some places in just over 6 hours! Incredible. 

Yes, many in the northern crew received 1” or less (my oldest brother lives in Urbana near Frederick and has seen nothing more than a dusting - pretty sure my house in union bridge saw less than an inch as well) We didn’t ALL cash in, but I know the northern crew is happy for the 95ers and know their time will come down the road.

My middle brother (who’s house I’m at in OEC) hasn’t seen snow like this in a few years and is happier than a pig in sh*t  jebwalking through the neighborhood. Happy for all you lowland snow weenies!

Really nice way to kick off the season and we’ve got another threat to track after this storm departs. Little more iffy of a situation, but the potential is there for some significant wintry precip if things fall into place   

• Like 5

Looks like it cut off here, as if that mattered given what had been falling. Eyeballing about 3, maybe if I give it the ole' slantstick? Given how close big totals were, this is one of the most painful storms I can ever recall. Probably a little easier to handle if it hadn't been for the past five winters of nothing, or a lot of the models showing I'd end up with at least double that, if not more. Oh well. Keep the pictures coming. Love seeing them. Hope you guys cash in as that final band sweeps through.

• Like 1

Just stopped snowing here just southeast of Haymarket. I love these snows. So picturesque but lost part of one of my crape myrtle stalks. Worth it!  Really enjoyed the build up to this storm. I'm a bit melancholy that it's behind us, at least in my mind. Looking forward to the next chase.

20220103_103251.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Looks like it cut off here, as if that mattered given what had been falling. Eyeballing about 3, maybe if I give it the ole' slantstick? Given how close big totals were, this is one of the most painful storms I can ever recall. Probably a little easier to handle if it hadn't been for the past five winters of nothing, or a lot of the models showing I'd end up with at least double that, if not more. Oh well. Keep the pictures coming. Love seeing them. Hope you guys cash in as that final band sweeps through.

Id say I have every bit of 5-6" in Dundalk. For sure a crazy storm with the gradient. Flake size has been relatively small though but the thundersnow was a big plus

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I’m still in awe at the sharp cutoff along 29 and 40 

Local reports indicating nearly double the snowfall fell in OEC / Oella / Catonsville and East Columbia  than west EC / Columbia / Clarksville / Woodstock 

Just now, jayyy said:

The western flank is now moving east fairly rapidly again. Expecting CAPE to be able to hold on to heavy snow for another few hours at least and surpass 12”

Last hour or so has been meh. Just a steady light snow. Was expecting some banding late morning/early afternoon but has not materialized. Curious to know how much snow has fallen south and east of here. Radar has looked more impressive.

12 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Is that a thing that happens during snow? I’ve been seeing the same.

Snow takes a while to fall 5k feet and the radar beam returns are from well off the ground. It's really obvious with snow squall lines that blow thru. Yellows overhead and nothing in the air, followed by an immediate meltdown here, then quickly followed up with a "scratch last post it's dumping" lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1