Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

He's not wrong, yet.  Probably will be, but who knows. 

I actually think 1-3" is a very reasonable call for my area.

But I'd be very surprised if nobody in the DC area or southern MD west of the bay gets over 5" with the heavy rates, plummeting temps, and abundant QPF.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It will be wet at first and maybe melt a bit if it’s light to start, But looks like temps drop nicely. Those pounding lift into the DGZ won’t have that issue. The cutoff to me is the biggest issue. 

You're talking to me aren't you :(

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
339 PM EST Sun Jan 2 2022

.SYNOPSIS...
A cold front will cross the region this evening, with low
pressure then moving northeastward along the front late tonight
into Monday. High pressure will return Tuesday before a weak
system passes east Tuesday night. High pressure will return
Wednesday before another system threatens for Thursday night and
Friday.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...
Latest analysis shows cold front across western Maryland and
eastern West Virginia, sliding southeast across the region. To
the south, low pressure is organizing over Alabama and Georgia
and will be riding northeast across the Carolinas tonight and
off the coast Monday.

A few showers will cross the region this evening as the cold
front crosses the area. Temps will fall rapidly behind the
front. Quick on its heals, the low pressure will begin to spread
precipitation northeastward across the region starting late this
evening and continuing into the early morning. Guidance has come
into better agreement and has trended significantly further
northwest, so have increased snowfall totals and expanded
warnings and advisories. Will be continually reviewing latest
guidance this evening given still significantly discrepancies
between model guidance, as well as great potential for a very
sharp northwestern cut-off with some models showing a range from
nothing to 6 inches within just a dozen miles or so. Great
concern exists regarding potential for an intense FGEN band
developing close to the metro early Monday which could drop 1-3
inch snowfall rates across the region. At this time, best odds
favor locales just southeast, but potential does exist for
upwards of a foot somewhere in our CWA. Nailing that location
down is the hard part.

----------------------------

What you posted:

Guidance has come into better agreement and has trended significantly further northwest, so have increased snowfall totals and expanded warnings and advisories. Will be continually reviewing latest guidance this evening given still significantly discrepancies between model guidance, as well as great potential for a very sharp northwestern cut-off with some models showing a range from nothing to 6 inches within just a dozen miles or so. Great concern exists regarding potential for an intense FGEN band developing close to the metro early Monday which could drop 1-3 inch snowfall rates across the region. At this time, best odds favor locales just southeast, but potential does exist for upwards of a foot somewhere in our CWA. Nailing that location down is the hard part.

What I see:

Guidance has come into better agreement and has trended significantly further northwest, so have increased snowfall totals and expanded warnings and advisories. Will be continually reviewing latest guidance this evening given still significantly discrepancies between model guidance, as well as great potential for a very sharp northwestern cut-off with some models showing a range from nothing to 6 inches within just a dozen miles or so. Great concern exists regarding potential for an intense FGEN band developing close to the metro early Monday which could drop 1-3 inch snowfall rates across the region. At this time, best odds favor locales just southeast, but potential does exist for upwards of a foot somewhere in our CWA. Nailing that location down is the hard part.

1 minute ago, Warm Nose said:

What you posted:

What I see:

Well I am pulling for all of you to get hammered HARD with heavy snow!

Its about time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Are you guys saying Tom is wrong around Baltimore or because of his totals further south? Because I feel 1-3 is very much in the cards around Baltimore, especially northern/western areas of Baltimore. 

We just don’t like the cut of his jib

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Are you guys saying Tom is wrong around Baltimore or because of his totals further south? Because I feel 1-3 is very much in the cards around Baltimore, especially northern/western areas of Baltimore. 

I just didn’t understand the ratio argument. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

IMO if he’s riding the NAM hard (which isn’t his explanation), then the 1-3 is fine but a max of 5” anywhere in VA is a standout low against other Mets (and the guidance). 

The bigger issue some of these guys are taking is that his explanation of low totals due to poor snow:liquid ratio seems unlikely given forecast temps in many areas. 

• Like 1