• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS-NOWCAST for the first moderate to high impact snowstorm of the 21-22 season, along and south of I95 3AM-7PM Monday January 3, 2022

wdrag

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

No expert. But judging by radar back end should graze LI. Not sure how long it will last 

Peaks of sun in Barnegat NJ, back end is marching to the coast FAST.  Just about over.  Quick 4 inch storm, and watching temps slide with the DP 

• Thanks 1

NW edge obviously dried out and SREF in particular was too far nw while the multiple model ensemble axis S+ did well (GEFS/EPS/SREF)...many reports 8-12" just south of DCA to near or just south of ACY.  

GFS obviously has a problem drying out snow, despite its decent soundings. Even the drier NAM was too robust on the NW side.  Am thinking similar drying out problem with the EC.  

Which leaves the SPC HREF best of the short range groups with its 00z/2, 12z/2 and 00z/3 cycles attached. 

It was a grazer as initially threaded by Forky.

As a planner-preparer for minimizing impacts, even though essentially nada occurred NYC, I would prepare similarly again.  The downside is far larger problem than the successful zero accumulation forecast.  

It's a matter of all of us realizing that the gradient edges of ensembled, or operational cycles can be wrong and keeping that in mind as we anticipate.

I'm sure we're in a far better place with the modeling than 10 or 20 years ago, let alone 50 years ago. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.23.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.22.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.21.53 PM.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wdrag said:

NW edge obviously dried out and SREF in particular was too far nw while the multiple model ensemble axis S+ did well (GEFS/EPS/SREF)...many reports 8-12" just south of DCA to near or just south of ACY.  

GFS obviously has a problem drying out snow, despite its decent soundings. Even the drier NAM was too robust on the NW side.  Am thinking similar drying out problem with the EC.  

Which leaves the SPC HREF best of the short range groups with its 00z/2, 12z/2 and 00z/3 cycles attached. 

It was a grazer as initially threaded by Forky.

As a planner-preparer for minimizing impacts, even though essentially nada occurred NYC, I would prepare similarly again.  The downside is far larger problem than the successful zero accumulation forecast.  

It's a matter of all of us realizing that the gradient edges of ensembled, or operational cycles can be wrong and keeping that in mind as we anticipate.

I'm sure we're in a far better place with the modeling than 10 or 20 years ago, let alone 50 years ago. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.23.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.22.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.21.53 PM.png

Seems like the dry air really won out from Philly on north. It’s why it’s better to look at soundings which showed the dry layer than the overaggressive snow maps in most cases. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdrag said:

9.5" in ACY as of 1P...makes it top 14 snowiest January on record and I think Bluewave indicated we might get top 10 snowiest day.  Right now #16 snowiest 24 hour snowfall in a climate calendar day.  

All this means (for me): it was a big one for that area. 

Still some mod to heavy banding in that area. Wonder if they have a shot at 12”? 

So, what do the EPS and GEFS ensembles look like 12 hours into a forecast. The 12z/3 cycle attached ending 00z this evening.  This is only 1 vendor.  

So the EPS looks more throughly available... but notice how much light snow it put into the dry air nw of I95.  Ditto the less spatially complete GEFS, but there as well,   too much snow into the dry air and these are only 12 hours into the forecast. So there were still a variety of solutions with the 12z init.  

This tries to demonstrate some limitations in the ensemble utility...  the core axis should usually should be reasonable in big systems, presuming it's consistent, not wind shield wiper  = back and forth.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.11.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.13.40 PM.png

Flurries and 30F, Wading River.   Upton's most recent discussion still somewhat bullish for Suffolk Cty

Likewise, cloud bases are lower towards Central and
Eastern Long Island and low clouds are more expansive there.
Snow has begun to develop but is currently light. Most intense
snow expected with potential 1/2 inch to 1 inch per hour rates
between 3 and 6 PM for southern and eastern portions of Suffolk
County. Winter weather advisory remains in effect until 7PM for
these areas. Still going with a snow forecast of 1 to 3 inches
with localized amounts up to 4 inches possible. Elsewhere, less
than an inch of snow expected with too much dry air in the low
levels to allow for steady snow. For NW Suffolk, 1 to 2 inches
of snow expected.

• Like 1