• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS-NOWCAST for the first moderate to high impact snowstorm of the 21-22 season, along and south of I95 3AM-7PM Monday January 3, 2022

wdrag

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a concern that dry air ingest cuts back snow accums I95w itself...NYC could escape with NIL and PHL less than currently modeled-forecast?? Just need to wait til 1030AM to be sure (for me). The storm is still near Hatteras so we should see a northward push by Noon...  I added the HRRRX which looks reasonable to me. At 830A widespread 1/4S+ to 1/2S DCA-BWI-ACY.  Now awaiting some northward advance in NJ around 10A.  You can see the scalloped edges of northern snow boundary as dry air evaporates the falling snow LI-PHL. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 8.31.04 AM.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro still has an inch or 2 for southern areas and gfs showed 2-3 inches. We shall see.

Dry air in the mid levels looks to keep accumulating snow well south of the city.  I just checked traffic cams along I95 in the Philly area- nada.  In NJ the line that delineates snow from no snow looks to run roughly along I295 up to route 70 and then east and ENE along route 70 to the shore.  The extent of the radar returns north of there indicates the degree of dry air in the mid levels.

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ouch

trend-nam-2022010312-f009.sn10_acc.us_ne (1).gif

I suspected yesterday that the models may have over corrected north and we might see the shift back SE that often happens with these. In any case I’m starting to doubt many of us near NYC see anything at all. Dry air is holding up. Really a shame that this is a suppressed to crap system being pushed out to sea. Would’ve been a very nice event here-frustrating especially since this looks like a winter where our snow chances will be quite limited. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I suspected yesterday that the models may have over corrected north and we might see the shift back SE that often happens with these. In any case I’m starting to doubt many of us near NYC see anything at all. Dry air is holding up. Really a shame that this is a suppressed to crap system being pushed out to sea. Would’ve been a very nice event here-frustrating especially since this looks like a winter where our snow chances will be quite limited. 

What hurts is that there isn't alot of blocking.

25 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Lol

I sure hope a model like that doesn’t replace the NAM. 

https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/environmental-modeling-center/fv3-convective-allowing-forecast-system

NAM development was frozen after the March 2017 upgrade, and RAP/HRRR development with the WRF-ARW model will cease after the RAPv5/HRRRv4 upgrade in 2020. However, operational execution of these modeling and associated DA systems will continue until comparable FV3-based systems are able to give similar performance.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

This reminds me of the Feb 89 event where 4 to 8" was expected in NYC and not a flake fell. Meanwhile acy down to Norfolk got a foot or more

100%.  If it's the one I'm remembering, left for school in the AM with dreams of '83, even in terms of start time.  Didn't see one flake though, but as I recall Atlantic City got 18" and even Montauk got a foot.

Just now, coastalplainsnowman said:

100%.  If it's the one I'm remembering, left for school in the AM with dreams of '83, even in terms of start time.  Didn't see one flake though, but as I recall Atlantic City got 18" and even Montauk got a foot.

Yep I remember the feeling of dread as each hour went by and it wasn't yet snowing. By noon the sun was peaking out and I knew it was over

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yep I remember the feeling of dread as each hour went by and it wasn't yet snowing. By noon the sun was peaking out and I knew it was over

The 89 event models actually began backing off on the 00z run the evening before but forecasters were slow to react.  The 12z runs morning of 2-24 pretty much showed zilch but again they didn’t really give up on the forecast til 3-4pm.  ACY has had .24 liquid this hour lol 

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I totally remember that as a kid, my hopes were crushed.  I kept looking outside the window at school in hopes to see a flake of snow but it never happened. I watched the news that evening with South Jersey buried. The 80's were tough for us snow lovers in the city, it seemed every storm turned to rain or it was cold and dry. My grandparents lived upstate in Saugerties and they were buried while it was raining in the city.