Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Other than the dense .2" coating I got around 11:15pm during that burst of insanely huge flakes this was a net loss. There's nothing left on the ground, even my shovel piles are gone. 

Onward >>>> 

Elevation definitely played a huge role around here...my new house is at @ 430 feet right on the border of Mahopac and Carmel and we barely got any slowflakes and zero coating of any kind.

1 hour ago, snywx said:

It’s amazing how A grinch storm has become the norm now. 

I distinctly remember December 1981 as snowy albeit I was a mere 9 years old, but there are scenes from that month burned into my memory forever. I went back and looked at the COOP record for Walden. Now we lived in Fishkill back then but this report gives you a sense of the month. It was indeed a snowy mid month period but look at those high temps on Christmas Eve and Day!  Even rain too on 12/23!

C281D8EE-BDC4-48D4-9672-B0BC8F216854.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I distinctly remember December 1981 as snowy albeit I was a mere 9 years old, but there are scenes from that month burned into my memory forever. I went back and looked at the COOP record for Walden. Now we lived in Fishkill back then but this report gives you a sense of the month. It was indeed a snowy mid month period but look at those high temps on Christmas Eve and Day!  Even rain too on 12/23!

C281D8EE-BDC4-48D4-9672-B0BC8F216854.png

Wow the 1980s were generally much colder (prior to February anyway lol).....check out Christmas 1980, a covering of snow and below zero Christmas morning in the city!  The last time that's happened on Christmas.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow the 1980s were generally much colder (prior to February anyway lol).....check out Christmas 1980, a covering of snow and below zero Christmas morning in the city!  The last time that's happened on Christmas.

I remember that one too. Here I are the 12/80 stats from the same location in Walden.

A4B8CCFA-AFE9-4AD0-928E-98C359A9964F.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I remember that one too. Here I are the 12/80 stats from the same location in Walden.

Wow thanks I am saving this.  This is one of my very first weather memories.  I have very dim memories of the late 70s and early 80s.....like a dim memory of the Feb 1978 blizzard from when I was 4 what I remember is giant icicles hanging outside the window, from the Christmas 1980 arctic outbreak, very windy conditions and brutal cold, and then it's the January 1982 snowstorm with the plane going down in the Potomac and then the epic April 1982 blizzard and another snow event a week later.  My next big memory after that is the February 1983 blizzard and then more regular memories after that (next one after that is Hurricane Gloria but I was already in 7th grade in September 1985 so the memories are more continuous by then.)

So -9 was the low there on Christmas and 1" of new snow!

I wonder if this is the lowest temperature at which 1.0" or more of snow has fallen in our region (although I'm sure it was snowing when it was warmer than that-- just after the arctic front moved in?)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

16 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Those temperatures are off by a day.  The 12/25 temperatures are actually from 12/24 and the temperatures shown for 12/26 are from 12/25.  Of course that might be dependent on what the observer considered the time of observation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Did any other towns brine the roads yesterday? Why bother with the rain incoming before the freeze? Speaking of freeze, what time on Friday is the temp expected to drop below freezing? My kid has to drive home from work and she has no experience with that. 

Depends on which model you look at but maybe as early 5-6pm over there?  The front will have to be monitored on Friday. The good news is that Upton not expecting a flash freeze. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Depends on which model you look at but maybe as early 5-6pm over there?  The front will have to be monitored on Friday. The good news is that Upton not expecting a flash freeze. 

Definitely something to monitor Friday afternoon/evening. Walt mentioned in the other thread we could get a quick 0.2-1.5” snowburst. Along with the winds and temp drop. Roads could get a little slick especially the bridges and overpasses. 

• Like 1

Upton has the cold getting here later than Walt, I'm inclined to go with our guy here. I know how challenging it can be to get around the hills here when it freezes up like this has the potential to. Looks like I might be taking her to work and waiting for her to get out, I'd rather be the one to deal with it than her. 

• Like 4

On 12/18/2022 at 12:38 AM, NorthShoreWx said:

Those temperatures are off by a day.  The 12/25 temperatures are actually from 12/24 and the temperatures shown for 12/26 are from 12/25.  Of course that might be dependent on what the observer considered the time of observation.

I finally found some time to come back to this.  Here is 12/80 from the Yorktown observer and it reflects similar to the Walden observations.  Was it a case of a midnight high on 12/25 perhaps?

12-80 Yorktown.JPG