Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

20.8F this morning. Sets the stage nicely for the coming 

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

23 for the low here.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

So you want to play the tenths game...you win, my low was 21.2, happy pappy?  21 goes in the books!

Good morning Julian, Hudson, Rob. CPK just managed 35 this am. Quite a separation from your lows. I’m sure we’ll get closer once all the hot air is flushed out of the sewers and subways. Stay well, as always ….

• Like 3

Wantage NJ 4 sw: first snow and sleet of the season that we all notice. IP- began 5P. to snow ~530P changed to sleet and freezing rain around 730PM. 0.7" solid snow cover on most everything except slight slushy spots on pavement here and there. That might be my final for the night. 31F here at 740' and time of post to NWS 809P

• Like 2

Nice first wintry event for November here in the Poconos. I was actually shocked at how nasty some of the roads were heading home from work. Completely snow/ice covered, even the highways. Just cleaned up, picked up about 2.5” here at 2,075 feet. It has since changed to sleet/rain mix now. Temp is right around 31 degrees so that may actually be freezing rain at these elevations. 

E559BFDD-2241-4B92-BA1F-8556BF049065.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, NepaJames8602 said:

Nice first wintry event for November here in the Poconos. I was actually shocked at how nasty some of the roads were heading home from work. Completely snow/ice covered, even the highways. Just cleaned up, picked up about 2.5” here at 2,075 feet. It has since changed to sleet/rain mix now. Temp is right around 31 degrees so that may actually be freezing rain at these elevations. 

E559BFDD-2241-4B92-BA1F-8556BF049065.jpeg

TWC predicted 3-5 inches for me down by Albrightsville (also around 2000 ft asl), I wonder if that's going to pan out.

Good Wednesday morning everyone. I-84) survived the first little winter weather event of the season. Generally, 0.5-2.5" of snow fell last evening with a little sleet, and freezing rain but it's winding down now. Just be a little careful stepping outside prior to 9AM as there may be some residual slipperyness underfoot. Temps rise into the 40s today so melting occurs.

Old Forge NY: some snow and ice this morning. Then periods of snow or squalls late today and especially Thursday into Friday, and again Sunday into Monday. Follow local advisories and warnings up there. Old Forge itself should see over half a foot from all this. Isolated spots up there east of Lake Ontario could see 20" by next Monday night.

I'll add a map of last evenings snow amounts around 930AM, otherwise, since it's only blustery and cold at times the next 10 days, I don't plan on posting again prior to Thanksgiving weekend. Widespread hazardous wintry weather is not currently expected in our area (except Old Forge) prior to November 25 and possibly til December. Yes, there will be spotty snow showers leaking out of the snow belts into the I84 corridor into this coming Monday but amounts will be small and mostly reserved for the Poconos. 

Added CoCoRaHs maps for I84 corridor.  Let the numbers tell a good story. Click for clarity. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.25.25 AM.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, wdrag said:
Good Wednesday morning everyone. I-84) survived the first little winter weather event of the season. Generally, 0.5-2.5" of snow fell last evening with a little sleet, and freezing rain but it's winding down now. Just be a little careful stepping outside prior to 9AM as there may be some residual slipperyness underfoot. Temps rise into the 40s today so melting occurs.

Old Forge NY: some snow and ice this morning. Then periods of snow or squalls late today and especially Thursday into Friday, and again Sunday into Monday. Follow local advisories and warnings up there. Old Forge itself should see over half a foot from all this. Isolated spots up there east of Lake Ontario could see 20" by next Monday night.

I'll add a map of last evenings snow amounts around 930AM, otherwise, since it's only blustery and cold at times the next 10 days, I don't plan on posting again prior to Thanksgiving weekend. Widespread hazardous wintry weather is not currently expected in our area (except Old Forge) prior to November 25 and possibly til December. Yes, there will be spotty snow showers leaking out of the snow belts into the I84 corridor into this coming Monday but amounts will be small and mostly reserved for the Poconos. 

Added CoCoRaHs maps for I84 corridor.  Let the numbers tell a good story. Click for clarity. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.25.25 AM.png

Thanks Walt, looks like the predictions were right, 3.5" around my part of the Poconos!  Why did that area get more than areas to the north of there, Walt?

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks Walt, looks like the predictions were right, 3.5" around my part of the Poconos!  Why did that area get more than areas to the north of there, Walt?

I don't study these situations in quite the detail as I did when working NWS, but... some of the factors are probably related to less qpf up north, some valley reports?, and timing best lift just south in our I84 area...maintaining enough dendrites to make it to the ground.  Less lift=less chance keeping all snow and more sleet-freezing rain in the similar thermal profile.  

I didn't check all the ice data but in my opinion, the GFS/NAM total positive snow depth change worked better than the EC. The EC also missed the icing down into Sussex County higher terrain and the Poconos.  US models triumphed inside 84 hours.

As an aside: I was driving an ambulance (volunteer WTFAS) in the heavier snow band around 7P last evening and the snow reflection off the strobe  blue and red light was very very cool. Patient lived.

• Like 5