• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

my paltry harvest of almost ripe tomatoes were decimated by a local woodchuck this past weekend.  I saw the critter this morning about to munch on another tomato on the deck, but he caught me spying him and turned away, smirking, undoubtedly knowing I would soon be gone to the office, leaving him free to enjoy lunch.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Hitman said:

my paltry harvest of almost ripe tomatoes were decimated by a local woodchuck this past weekend.  I saw the critter this morning about to munch on another tomato on the deck, but he caught me spying him and turned away, smirking, undoubtedly knowing I would soon be gone to the office, leaving him free to enjoy lunch.

They are smart animals, they wait till you're about to harvest the crop. Did that to my corn too, when I lived in CT.

I think the significant synoptic rains next week are real. Jack zone TBD, but that's some impressive blocking for this time of year.

I have to mow today for the first time in well over a month. The grass isn't growing, but the ribwort and broadleaf plantains sure are. It's amazing how resilient and adept many naturalized weeds are.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I think the significant synoptic rains next week are real. Jack zone TBD, but that's some impressive blocking for this time of year.

I have to mow today for the first time in well over a month. The grass isn't growing, but the ribwort and broadleaf plantains sure are. It's amazing how resilient and adept many naturalized weeds are.

I had to weed whack for about 5 minutes, twice since I last mowed on 7/4.  Will still be at least another week before I'll need to mow, if then.  Incredible.  

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I spun the mower and weed whacker through the front yard after that last little bit of moistness just to clean it up.

I had a Great Mullein show up in the yard this year, I never watered or even touched it and it got 7 feet tall. 

I ran some numbers, looking at actual rainfall IMBY for met summer up to now (Jun 1-Aug 12) and it confirms this is the driest summer to date here:

2005: 5.79

2006: 10.39

2007: 13.06

2008: 8.49

2009: 18.26

2010: 9.91

2011: 14.65

2012: 10.08

2013: 21.34

2014: 7.61

2015: 9.42

2016: 11.62

2017: 10.26

2018: 14.21

2019: 8.41

2020: 8.28

2021: 9.99

2022: 4.39

• Like 3

It was 50° up in the hills between Binghamton and Middletown a few hours ago. Mmm, felt good driving along with the windows open. So 30-40% chance of showers Monday and Tuesday huh? Yeah, whatever. Time to give up on the garden and stop abusing our well pump :( I'll keep the herbs and strawberries going because they're a few years old now but everything else is on its own now. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Despite the cooler air mass, the 80F+ streak lives on at POU and it's easy to see that we're in the upper echelon of such streaks. Not updated for today, so it's at 46 days now.

4nKmH24.png

Looks Iike digital thermometers are to blame or placement or just bad record keeping perhaps… @Rjay thoughts?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Its become evident over the past week the beating the trees are taking with the lack of rainfall and the heat, some trees turning early with faded colors and more and more yellow and brown leaves each day dropping.

I'd been hoping to plant a few new spruces this fall to replace my dead ash trees. Maybe that's best put off until spring...

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I added it up recently and it was under 1.5 and I think I figured pretty well over 10" down since 3/1. Were those showers that only went through on radar all there is for today? 

There will be some spotty convective showers backing in from the north toward the end of the day. Maybe something will actually reach the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I added it up recently and it was under 1.5 and I think I figured pretty well over 10" down since 3/1. Were those showers that only went through on radar all there is for today? 

I know I’m around what you have. 1.5 is a good number. Irishrob has a little more than me. It’s actually nice having some cloud cover currently. Had about 25-30 raindrops this morning.