Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

49 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Oh no, here we go. A big one?

Edit: just saw the post, multiple fires.

Yeah 2 or 3 bigger ones plus a couple smaller ones throughout the last couple days. Thank god my volly house doesnt have a brush truck or id be leaving town lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Plus another one in Fort Montgomery.  These s/w winds and drought conditions are definitely not a help along with the heat. These guys have their work cut out. Watch the heat exhaustion. :(

We’ve been pretty lucky the last few years. One of these years that whole area is gonna burn from harriman up through bear mountain and along the river.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You can still see the scars on Storm King from the last big one in the mid to late 90’s as I recall. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/06/nyregion/ground-fires-scorch-acres-of-the-hudson-highlands.html

Mt Beacon burned bad in 1993, somewhere I have VHS footage of it from the Newburgh waterfront. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Yeah 2 or 3 bigger ones plus a couple smaller ones throughout the last couple days. Thank god my volly house doesnt have a brush truck or id be leaving town lol

I remember in the younger days strapping an Indian tank on and a rake to put out those fires on clausland mountain in orangetown. Then the forestry hoses came out, made it easier. With these dry conditions, the peat moss catches fire underneath and burns for sometimes days or till a good soaking rain comes. 
High of 96 here today, no rain IMBY.

5 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I remember in the younger days strapping an Indian tank on and a rake to put out those fires on clausland mountain in orangetown. Then the forestry hoses came out, made it easier. With these dry conditions, the peat moss catches fire underneath and burns for sometimes days or till a good soaking rain comes. 

My Old Man used to tell a story about a forest fire up in New Hampshire when he was a vollie up there how one of the Indian tanks carried a precious cargo…let’s just say the water was frozen in the form of ice cubes and I’m sure you can figure out the rest…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Yea those things suck. Ill stick to tenements and brownstones, and the occasional private dwelling lol

• Haha 2

Looks like the storm that came through last night was pretty significant, all the loose debris and stuff was washed into piles and plants that have never had that water weight on them fell over and broke. I was asleep so don't know how long it rained for but it's a fair bit of damage for just .32". Total for the day was .64. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Looks like the storm that came through last night was pretty significant, all the loose debris and stuff was washed into piles and plants that have never had that water weight on them fell over and broke. I was asleep so don't know how long it rained for but it's a fair bit of damage for just .32". Total for the day was .64. 

Glad that you got something. The ground is dry and hard, any downpour will just runoff.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, IrishRob17 said:

My longest streak of 90 or higher for the high temp is eight, set in 2013.  Yesterday marked day six, will I tie that streak of eight tomorrow afternoon?  Thankfully there is relief in sight this week regardless.   

I think the streak will end at seven days for me, clouds rolled in this way, high of 87 thus far. 86/76 currently. 

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Every day I get a few hundredths of an inch of rain, just enough to raise the humidity another notch and make sure my tomato plants keep spreading blight amongst themselves.

My garden is just about done. Tomatoes, melons, and squash are toast. What few tomatoes that are able to ripen taste like shit and the celery has wilted and stood back up so many times it's woody and tastes salty. The only bright spot so far is peppers and herbs. Even the strawberries in hanging baskets stopped producing and a 5 year old berry patch with blueberry, raspberry and blackberry bushes has all but died. My well water is too hard and I can't run it long enough to properly soak things anyway and I was out of town for 3 days and that was the final straw. All those hours spent on it... :(

• Sad 3

My garden is just about done. Tomatoes, melons, and squash are toast. What few tomatoes that are able to ripen taste like shit and the celery has wilted and stood back up so many times it's woody and tastes salty. The only bright spot so far is peppers and herbs. Even the strawberries in hanging baskets stopped producing and a 5 year old berry patch with blueberry, raspberry and blackberry bushes has all but died. My well water is too hard and I can't run it long enough to properly soak things anyway and I was out of town for 3 days and that was the final straw. All those hours spent on it... :(

Sorry to hear that. Such a bummer, especially after all the hard work earlier in the season. It has definitely been a challenge this year and fortunately (or alas, depending on how one views it) I've been in town all summer and haven't had to skip a day of watering.

It's sad to see all the endless acres of desiccated, stunted field corn. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Every day I get a few hundredths of an inch of rain, just enough to raise the humidity another notch and make sure my tomato plants keep spreading blight amongst themselves.

Good morning Julian, gravity. I thought, after reading your posts, how fortunate it is for us to have the capacity to go to a local produce store and purchase what we couldn’t enjoy growing. I wondered ‘what if’ we needed what we personally grow to survive. …. And remembered that it has happened before. Stay well, the gardens will green again. As always ….

D0752CF9-AA91-4A62-BE91-C59B19245390.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Sorry to hear that. Such a bummer, especially after all the hard work earlier in the season. It has definitely been a challenge this year and fortunately (or alas, depending on how one views it) I've been in town all summer and haven't had to skip a day of watering.

It's sad to see all the endless acres of desiccated, stunted field corn. 

Yeah, local farmers are going to have to scramble for supplemental feed this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Julian, gravity. I thought, after reading your posts, how fortunate it is for us to have the capacity to go to a local produce store and purchase what we couldn’t enjoy growing. I wondered ‘what if’ we needed what we personally grow to survive. …. And remembered that it has happened before. Stay well, the gardens will green again. As always ….

Mornin' :)

Agreed. Some of us are very dedicated to our gardens, but like you say, at the first sign of crop failure, we can run to the store and stock up. The happenings of 2020 made me feel pretty good about the stability of our food supply chain. While avocados or my favorite brand of chicken may have been hard to find at times, there was never any heightened threat of going hungry as far as I'm aware.  It was reassuring. We owe a great debt to farmers who live with the risk of disappointing days in the garden becoming existential threats.

• Like 2