Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

55 minutes ago, Hitman said:

4 times a day?

I’m a bad gardener.  Didn’t plant much this year.  5 tomato plants.  They get watered for a few minutes every 3-4 days.  They must hate me.

Soil type and sun exposure affect watering requirements to a huge extent. My soil is relatively sandy with low organic matter, so it's awful at retaining moisture.

The misting is just to cool the surfaces down, the soil doesn't usually end up more than damp but I find much happier plants when I do it on these hot days. When I'm watering deeper I only go right at the base of the plant so it dries more quickly than if I do a full soak so it needs a second shot. It uses a lot less water and keeps the leaves and soil dry so I have less disease, rot and bugs. 

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Yea that was a disappointing collapse of that line last night.

It’s been three weeks since I mowed and aside from weed whacking some taller weeds in one spot last week there’s still no need to mow.  I don’t recall ever going over three weeks with the grass this burned out and essentially not growing like this in the summer before. 

14 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

It’s been three weeks since I mowed and aside from weed whacking some taller weeds in one spot last week there’s still no need to mow.  I don’t recall ever going over three weeks with the grass this burned out and essentially not growing like this in the summer before. 

Whats weird is the reservoir in rockland is still pretty full. I mean its nowhere near capacity but i remember years where you could see old building foundations and the original roadway over it when we’ve been dry. But i definitely dont remember my backyard being this toasted anytime recently.

40 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Whats weird is the reservoir in rockland is still pretty full. I mean its nowhere near capacity but i remember years where you could see old building foundations and the original roadway over it when we’ve been dry. But i definitely dont remember my backyard being this toasted anytime recently.

Maybe due to runoff from the recent storms you had on top of the rock solid dry soil?  The pond here in the park is probably the lowest I’ve ever seen it. Granted, in years past they would pump river water into the pond when it was dry but for some reason that haven’t done that this year. A couple weeks ago that had to bring in and excavator with an extended boom to dig out the river bank to get the water to the pump house as the river is rather low too but that happens every few years or so. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Maybe due to runoff from the recent storms you had on top of the rock solid dry soil?  The pond here in the park is probably the lowest I’ve ever seen it. Granted, in years past they would pump river water into the pond when it was dry but for some reason that haven’t done that this year. A couple weeks ago that had to bring in and excavator with an extended boom to dig out the river bank to get the water to the pump house as the river is rather low too but that happens every few years or so. 

You posted the yearly precip departures a few days ago that really showed how this very dry pattern is a recent development. We've barely begun to register on the long-term drought indicators. It's an enormous inconvenience for crops, lawns, and other things related to surface hydrology, but at least we're still a ways off from genuine water supply issues. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

You posted the yearly precip departures a few days ago that really showed how this very dry pattern is a recent development. We've barely begun to register on the long-term drought indicators. It's an enormous inconvenience for crops, lawns, and other things related to surface hydrology, but at least we're still a ways off from genuine water supply issues. 

Very true.  So far the radar looks better than what has gone thru the tipper.  My driest July was 1.22" in 2015 but June that year had 6.63".  This past June I recorded 2.70".  Second driest July was 2.39" in 2006 but that June was also above normal with 7.85".  If I have time later maybe I'll dig further to look at back to back below normal warm season months.

It was dry but sufficiently moist to get the growing season off to a good start. Then it dried out by the middle of the second week of June and it just keeps getting worse. A few days ago I added it up from two of the closest stations to me and it's under 2" in 6+ weeks. Today looks like it's nothing more than drizzle, wind and clouds unless there's something else later. The reservoirs all seem to be holding strong but the feeder creeks and the Croton River are way down. 

34 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It was dry but sufficiently moist to get the growing season off to a good start. Then it dried out by the middle of the second week of June and it just keeps getting worse. A few days ago I added it up from two of the closest stations to me and it's under 2" in 6+ weeks. Today looks like it's nothing more than drizzle, wind and clouds unless there's something else later. The reservoirs all seem to be holding strong but the feeder creeks and the Croton River are way down. 

1.70" here since the last decent rain on 6/9 which was 1.24".

60dPDeptNRCC.png

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

This is easily the most I have watered lawn and garden here in SVT since moving here in 2014, also the brownest I have seen the lawn and that is with some rain here and there.

I think a big part of the brown lawns and dry gardens has been the very low RH and DPs for most of the summer.  The evapotranspiration I'm sure has been off the charts when you combine very low RH, sun and wind. The top 4-6" of soil has been getting sucked dry very quickly. Before this recent stretch every day seemed to be a Chamber day with sun and low dews.  The other week I had 1" of rain and was watering again in 2 days. Even 1" of rain really did nothing to my grass, just kept it from getting browner really.   I think many of our summers the past 15 years have been so humid, that moisture was retained in the soil much more so after a rain event.  

As was mentioned also, soil composition plays a big part too.  Obviously it has been dry for a big part of the region as well as per the map posted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

This is easily the most I have watered lawn and garden here in SVT since moving here in 2014, also the brownest I have seen the lawn and that is with some rain here and there.

I think a big part of the brown lawns and dry gardens has been the very low RH and DPs for most of the summer.  The evapotranspiration I'm sure has been off the charts when you combine very low RH, sun and wind. The top 4-6" of soil has been getting sucked dry very quickly. Before this recent stretch every day seemed to be a Chamber day with sun and low dews.  The other week I had 1" of rain and was watering again in 2 days. Even 1" of rain really did nothing to my grass, just kept it from getting browner really.   I think many of our summers the past 15 years have been so humid, that moisture was retained in the soil much more so after a rain event.  

As was mentioned also, soil composition plays a big part too.  Obviously it has been dry for a big part of the region as well as per the map posted.

Good to see you over here.  I've watered the lawn in the past years when it started to brown out but haven't done it at all this season, mainly because I don't have any big party's coming up, no point in starting now!

I won't water the yards, I hesitate to call what I have lawns. I went and added it again and it was 2.3 (including today's .06) since 6/10. Of that only 2 events were over .5 and most were under .1. Those small events are as close to useless as it gets when the soil is duff 6-8" down and it doesn't get past the trees either so effectively I've had 1.6" that mattered. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good to see you over here.  I've watered the lawn in the past years when it started to brown out but haven't done it at all this season, mainly because I don't have any big party's coming up, no point in starting now!

Yea, it was too much for me too.  I was doing it for a while, then just gave up the lawn watering and just do veggie and perennial gardens.  My low output well can't hold up anyway to watering the lawn as much as it would need it.  

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I won't water the yards, I hesitate to call what I have lawns. I went and added it again and it was 2.3 (including today's .06) since 6/10. Of that only 2 events were over .5 and most were under .1. Those small events are as close to useless as it gets when the soil is duff 6-8" down and it doesn't get past the trees either so effectively I've had 1.6" that mattered. 

Yep, those .1-.3" events are pretty much useless when the soil is this dry. Honestly need a 1-3", but not in a 30 min Tstorm. 

I had mentioned in my other post, I was kind of shocked that following a 1" rain the soil dried out so quickly. 

51 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yep, those .1-.3" events are pretty much useless when the soil is this dry. Honestly need a 1-3", but not in a 30 min Tstorm. 

I had mentioned in my other post, I was kind of shocked that following a 1" rain the soil dried out so quickly. 

Yeah, the .20" I've picked up is essentially useless.

28 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Today's minor wetness crossed the river then dried up as it lifted over the Highlands and west slope of the Taconics.*poof* :(

We had about 5 drops here. Everything is pulsing down just before it hits here. <_< There is a few more possibilities out there in western NJ and Sullivan county, maybe we can get lucky in a hour or two.  

29A1E17A-8B4A-4DF6-81DD-7B2594687884.png

• Like 1