Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Made it down to 30 here this morning, with several 28-29 readings around the neighborhood. That's at least 10 degrees below last night's P&C. Hopefully nurseries and home growers were extra cautious...

I think it got even colder than that in lower parts of my yard. A fair amount of frost damage and lost tomato plants inside my cold frame, which would have been 4-5 degrees warmer than the outside air.

40 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think it got even colder than that in lower parts of my yard. A fair amount of frost damage and lost tomato plants inside my cold frame, which would have been 4-5 degrees warmer than the outside air.

Good morning Julian. Ref: NOAA/NWS CPK between 3 and 7 am bottomed out at 47 degrees with a fair sky observation, We can always depend on ocean and urban warmth, nil radiational cooling and a temperate rain forest   cuddling with the parks ASOS. My Long Island fishing buddy always told me he’d wait for Memorial Day before live planting tomatoes. I follow that to this day with the three or four I do plant. Stay well and hope you have a bumper crop. As always ….

• Like 2

Soil temp is finally coming up, tomato seeds and a few others will finally go in tomorrow. I have a bunch of other stuff in but it's a slow start. The berries from last year are going bonkers though and the garlic I put in around early November is big already, some may be able to be used in just a few weeks. It's dry though so things may get dicey a lot earlier this year than usual if we don't get a few good soakings a month, this couple of tenths at a time stuff isn't gonna cut it.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Looks like 43 was the low here, it stayed above 40 both nights. 

Can we turn this wind off yet? 

You jinxed me. Wind turned off, right as i decided to dig up a section of the lawn my dog has slowly destroyed over the years. Now im getting destroyed by bugs.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Most of the seeds are in now. It feels like I'm a few weeks late but just based on leaf out and general greenness it's right on schedule compared to my pictures from the last few years. I'd sure like to see some rain soon, it's really dry and a good garden is gonna take up a bunch of well water if it doesn't.

We are venturing into smaller %s of normal precip over the last 30 days. This weekend's showers aren't likely to be of much help. It's interesting, because just about anyone you'll talk to (myself included) would suggest that it has felt like a damp, rainy spring.  

FVLjtla.png

• Like 2

It has been raining often enough but not much falls each time, it has been foggy frequently but it burns off early, the temps have been slightly above normal but the RH has been well below and with damn near no snow the soil has been drying for months. I'm also noticing an even higher amount of standing dead trees, both evergreens and hardwoods, and a distinct lack of understory growth mixed with lots of downed trees and fuels on the floor of the forests. It's gonna be an interesting fire season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

My swamp ass from mowing will argue differently. LOL

Good evening Irish. I tried to envision what you described, in your post, mowing a lawn. I was finally successful in suppressing it. Stay well and try to avoid grass stain check. As always …..

7CAD6E54-21B1-4CCB-A459-DB09BAAA6CD9.png

EC1DB5A7-B265-4FFC-86E6-AA4055A49BA9.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Irish. I tried to envision what you described, in your post, mowing a lawn. I was finally successful in suppressing it. Stay well and try to avoid grass stain check. As always …..

7CAD6E54-21B1-4CCB-A459-DB09BAAA6CD9.png

EC1DB5A7-B265-4FFC-86E6-AA4055A49BA9.png

Good Evening Rich. Here’s the front half. The older I get the less appealing maintaining a large lawn is but it’s still a good 90-120 minute workout so I have that going for me. 

9E36E2A2-2C50-48CF-96A9-9E6E28CBF9C1.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good Evening Rich. Here’s the front half. The older I get the less appealing maintaining a large lawn is but it’s still a good 90-120 minute workout so I have that going for me. 

9E36E2A2-2C50-48CF-96A9-9E6E28CBF9C1.jpeg

A blessed home of pristine beauty. I cannot imagine what it took/takes to get it to this point and keep it there. Forget the check;  grass stains in your case are not only expected but also worthwhile. Stay well my good friend, as always …

• Thanks 1

Flood Advisory National Weather Service New York NY 627 PM EDT Sun May 15 2022 NYC071-160130- /O.NEW.KOKX.FA.Y.0011.220515T2227Z-220516T0130Z/ /00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/ Orange NY- 627 PM EDT Sun May 15 2022 ...FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 930 PM EDT THIS EVENING... * WHAT...Urban and small stream flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected. * WHERE...A portion of southeast New York, including the following county, Orange. * WHEN...Until 930 PM EDT. * IMPACTS...Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - At 626 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to thunderstorms. This will cause urban and small stream flooding. Between 0.5 and 1 inch of rain has fallen. - Additional rainfall amounts up to 1 inch are expected over the area. This additional rain will result in minor flooding. - Some locations that will experience flooding include... Middletown, Port Jervis, Goshen, Howells, Chester, Montgomery, Cuddebackville, Otisville, Huguenot, Scotchtown, Deerpark, Mechanicstown, Westtown, Maybrook, Slate Hill, Pine Bush, Circleville, Bullville and New Hampton. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood