Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

23 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Snowing lightly, small flakes and pretty windy but not really accumulating. Everything is freezing up so get out there now and move anything you don't want to fight with tomorrow.

I did some clean up but a high above freezing with the current sun angle will do wonders. Then 50s and sun on Monday. 

• Like 1

Last batch has now cleared the Poconos, received an additional 1.5 to 2” inches since a few hours ago. Everything is cleaned up outside, and final total is 8.0” here in the Poconos. Largest storm of the season lol.  Winds are howling and temps have continued to crash, now at 14 degrees. Forecast low is 8. 

• Like 1

What were totals like around the area? Maybe I missed people posting them before but I haven’t really seen any. Can’t get outside today but I saw a trained spotter in Monroe post 4 1/2 inches at 1:30 today. It’s only about seven or 8 miles from me so I’m assuming I’m similar and from the looks outside that looks about right.

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Nice. It seems like areas west of the Taconic got into higher rates for a bit longer. 

bEkCCAf.jpeg

YSeDwhN.jpeg

That is criminal. This seems to happen a lot where you are. Is this something unique to just this season or is the area you live seem to be, for lack of a better description, somewhat of a snow hole in the area?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

What were totals like around the area? Maybe I missed people posting them before but I haven’t really seen any. Can’t get outside today but I saw a trained spotter in Monroe post 4 1/2 inches at 1:30 today. It’s only about seven or 8 miles from me so I’m assuming I’m similar and from the looks outside that looks about right.

3.6” here. 

• Like 2

This is the best backside snow I've had here in years, I don't even remember the last time this happened. It's a snow globe world out there, it was easily 2"/hr at the peak and it's still 1"/hr. I have easily 3" additional and may get another half before that sharp back edge gets here. This went from an uninspiring whatever to a powdery wonderland in an hour. 

I'm at exactly half of my annual normal so if this is where it ends I'll be ok with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

2.8” officially on the board  but 3.6” on the grass. 2.8” goes in my books. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

4” here & im on the border of Middletown & Otisville 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

That is criminal. This seems to happen a lot where you are. Is this something unique to just this season or is the area you live seem to be, for lack of a better description, somewhat of a snow hole in the area?

Definitely a perennial snow hole. Over the years I've commented on how my little hollow here is great for cold but poor for snow. That said, with 1" from the evening activity bringing me up to 2.8", my total wasn't a world away from other reports in central and eastern Dutchess.

dc0312.png.437855f9533ce9e8e3dc0917c7c8a6da.png

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 5:32 PM, Juliancolton said:

Mud

On 3/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Are you angry but gave up cuss words for Lent?  Please advise. 

Good morning Irish and Julian and a belated Happy Saint Patricks Day. 
Sorry fellows but it brings to mind another story I heard in my youth from an old parishioner at Saint Ephrens in Brooklyn. In the mid 19th century and with a sizable Manhattan immigrant Irish population, intolerance was growing. An early Catholic Church, possibly the predecessor to Saint Patricks was planning a feast day service. Word got out that the street gangs, toughs and general anti papists were forming a group to march and destroy the church. As planed the large group of ne’er de wells formed up and started moving towards the church. The pastor was alerted and sent word for the parishioners to stay away and remain safe and he would be waiting for the group. Well word did get out and when the Pastor emerged from the church, there around it was a circle, many deep, of strong able and not very happy sons of the sod. As the raucous March approached and came in sight of the church the protective parishioners holding clubs and other implements of their days labor, started to slowly move. The loud and screaming mob took one look at the approaching determined wave moving towards them and went silent. The biggest leader brigand took a look to his right and left, eyed the clubs and implements of protection, lowered his own and as a wave the mob reversed course and started marching back. The protective parishioners whose blood had reached a boiling point, after hearing the insults of the mob, started moving faster towards the marchers and not really listening to the pastors entreaty to have forbearance. The mobs march, in retreat, became a run and in short order a route. The young group of protective parishioners did not mind ignoring the Pastors plea … there was always the Sacrament of Confession when it was all over. The church was never bothered again. Thank you, Irish/Julian for jogging my memory and for your forbearance in having to read this. Oh and at my age giving anything up for Lent is easy. Stay well, as always … 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rclab said:

Good morning Irish and Julian and a belated Happy Saint Patricks Day. 
Sorry fellows but it brings to mind another story I heard in my youth from an old parishioner at Saint Ephrens in Brooklyn. In the mid 19th century and with a sizable Manhattan immigrant Irish population, intolerance was growing. An early Catholic Church, possibly the predecessor to Saint Patricks was planning a feast day service. Word got out that the street gangs, toughs and general anti papists were forming a group to march and destroy the church. As planed the large group of ne’er de wells formed up and started moving towards the church. The pastor was alerted and sent word for the parishioners to stay away and remain safe and he would be waiting for the group. Well word did get out and when the Pastor emerged from the church, there around it was a circle, many deep, of strong able and not very happy sons of the sod. As the raucous March approached and came in sight of the church the protective parishioners holding clubs and ither implements of their days labor, started to slowly move. The loud and screaming mob took one look at the approaching determined wave slowly moving towards them and went silent. The biggest leader brigand took a look to his right and left, eyed the clubs and implements of protection, lowered his own and as a wave the mob reversed course and started marching back. The protective parishioners whose blood had reached a boiling point, after hearing the insults of the mob started moving faster towards the mob and not really listening to the pastors entreaty to have forbearance. The mobs march, in retreat, became a run and in short order a route. The young group of protective parishioners did not mind ignoring the Pastors plea … there was always the Sacrament of Confession when it was all over. The church was never bothered again. Thank you, Irish/Julian for jogging my memory and for your forbearance in having to read this. Oh and at my age giving anything up for Lent is easy. Stay well, as always … 

Afternoon Rich,

I watched the first episode of this, https://www.aptonline.org/catalog/HUNGER-THE-THE-STORY-OF-THE-IRISH-FAMINE#:~:text=Documentary | TV-PG,Century had surprising international origins. yesterday on one of the PBS stations I get, with the second episode next week.  Wow, I was certainly reminded of how Black 47 happened, what a mess.  What I hadn't realized was how the southern and western areas of Ireland were affected the worst and that's the area most of my relatives were from, some distant ones still there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Afternoon Rich,

I watched the first episode of this, https://www.aptonline.org/catalog/HUNGER-THE-THE-STORY-OF-THE-IRISH-FAMINE#:~:text=Documentary | TV-PG,Century had surprising international origins. yesterday on one of the PBS stations I get, with the second episode next week.  Wow, I was certainly reminded of how Black 47 happened, what a mess.  What I hadn't realized was how the southern and western areas of Ireland were affected the worst and that's the area most of my relatives were from, some distant ones still there.

I looked it up, Irish. The pathogen was identified as P. infestans. So many deaths. I wonder how the home land would have developed without the mass emigration. I do know, if it had not have happened, the loss to our nation, of such emigrating talent and developmental strength, woul have been brutal. As always …..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rclab said:

I looked it up, Irish. The pathogen was identified as P. infestans. So many deaths. I wonder how the home land would have developed without the mass emigration. I do know, if it had not have happened, the loss to our nation, of such emigrating talent and developmental strength, woul have been brutal. As always …..

So it started in 1845 but “only” destroyed a 1/3 of the crop, as I recall. The Irish managed. It came back in late July of 1846 and took out 90% of the crop, so it got real at that point. Mind you the Brits kept getting whatever food they could from their “Breadbasket” aka. Ireland. In the spring of 1847 the Brits set up soup kitchens, as the Irish started dying during the winter of 46-47, the soup kitchens really helped.  Then in the summer of 47 when the blight didn’t come back they shutdown all the soup kitchens but few Irish had the means to plant a crop in spring 47 so that’s when many really suffered creating ‘Black 47’

After a high of 75 it’s down to 59 here so no one complains this is a weather board LOL

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 10:53 PM, Juliancolton said:

Peepers are out in force tonight, love to hear it. Tomorrow is probably the warmest day until April I would think... hopefully everyone can get out and enjoy it. 

As I drove through your area yesterday that was my first thought and I wondered if you would post about it. 

I’ve seen photos out of Vermont, the worst mud season in a long time. The peepers have been singing for 10 or so days now and I’m told that the frogs will be on the move tonight. I literally ran into that a few years ago, hundreds of frogs hopping all over with some not making it it across the road. It was almost out of a horror movie, cool and creepy at the same time. 

Special Weather Statement National Weather Service New York NY 712 PM EDT Sat Mar 19 2022 NYZ067-200015- Orange NY- 712 PM EDT Sat Mar 19 2022 ...A strong thunderstorm will impact portions of Orange County through 815 PM EDT... At 711 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over Unionville, or 9 miles east of Port Jervis, moving northeast at 45 mph. HAZARD...Winds in excess of 40 mph and half inch hail. SOURCE...Radar indicated. IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects. Minor damage to outdoor objects is possible. Locations impacted include... Middletown, Port Jervis, Walden, Warwick, Goshen, Howells, Gardnertown, Chester, Montgomery, Florida, Cuddebackville, Otisville, Huguenot, Unionville and Scotchtown.