• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

I'm going to go out and work on the car that's frozen shut now. I used a full 40 pound bag of sand and 20 pounds of salt and the driveway is still a disaster. Fkn neighbor won't let me trim the bushes on the south side and the driveway is perpetually shaded so the ground stays cold and once it ices it doesn't melt. Now the frozen crap is melting out of their bushes and coating the driveway in water that refreezes almost immediately. I have already had to move one of our cars that had almost slid out into the street so it's sideways and kind of jammed into the bank at the moment. I'm gonna go get a new hose (the old ones are frozen solid) and hook it up to the hot water heater drain and wash it all down, that should clear it up for a while anyway.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I'm going to go out and work on the car that's frozen shut now. I used a full 40 pound bag of sand and 20 pounds of salt and the driveway is still a disaster. Fkn neighbor won't let me trim the bushes on the south side and the driveway is perpetually shaded so the ground stays cold and once it ices it doesn't melt. Now the frozen crap is melting out of their bushes and coating the driveway in water that refreezes almost immediately. I have already had to move one of our cars that had almost slid out into the street so it's sideways and kind of jammed into the bank at the moment. I'm gonna go get a new hose (the old ones are frozen solid) and hook it up to the hot water heater drain and wash it all down, that should clear it up for a while anyway.

That sucks about the shade. The small hill and turn in my driveway faces north but with the sun making it’s return towards the north the sand I throw down draws in some heat now. So it’s a win win as it provides traction and some melting. Luckily we should pop above freezing on Monday. 

• Like 1

Finally got the mass of ice in the Stratus to fully melt so here are the measurements: 1.68” in the Davis and 2.10” in the Stratus.  In looking at the Davis data based on when I went below freezing it recorded .08 before freezing up so it looks like .50” in freezing rain QPF here but there was that .3” in snow here at the end so some of that .50” includes that too. 

*edited the above as I realized that I had .10 in the Davis today which was clearly some melting of the ice from yesterday. MGJ reported .48” in ZR so my calculations seem reasonable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Finally got the mass of ice in the Stratus to fully melt so here are the measurements: 1.78” in the Davis and 2.10” in the Stratus.  In looking at the Davis data based on when I went below freezing it recorded .08 before freezing up so it looks like .40 in freezing rain QPF here but there was that .3” in snow here at the end so some of that .40 includes that too. 

Quite the event, very impressive. We lucked out vs. the folks up in Ulster county.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Quite the event, very impressive. We lucked out vs. the folks up in Ulster county.

Staying parked at 32 and not going below for those five hours here was huge.  I just went back and checked, I picked up .34” while at 32 degrees.  Now some of that may have accreted on trees, I’m not sure, but if it all had…Would’ve been a game changer around here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BxEngine said:

16A6447C-123A-4D65-BF34-99E9B295BD4C.jpeg

BC39AB99-806C-4660-BE81-B4207527211C.jpeg

I love it up there. My family used to do Lake George and this past summer we stayed on Mirror Lake at the Lake Placid Club Boathouse (just up the road from the brewery on the east shoreline) instead and IMO it sh*ts on Lake George. The fact that if you stay anywhere on the entire lake and can walk the whole thing is awesome. Are there many people ice fishing the lake right now? I've only been in the summer...dying to go up there in the winter, especially in the kind of storm you just got up there. Very jealous.

boathouse.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sn0w said:

I love it up there. My family used to do Lake George and this past summer we stayed on Mirror Lake at the Lake Placid Club Boathouse (just up the road from the brewery on the east shoreline) instead and IMO it sh*ts on Lake George. The fact that if you stay anywhere on the entire lake and can walk the whole thing is awesome. Are there many people ice fishing the lake right now? I've only been in the summer...dying to go up there in the winter, especially in the kind of storm you just got up there. Very jealous.

boathouse.jpg

No ice fishing on mirror lake i dont think. Maybe on lake placid itself? Mirror lake plows a path around the outer ring for ice skating, and there are numerous spots for pickup hockey games.

34 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

If the wind calms we’re gonna beat that i think. Parts of the area were -4 before the sun was fully set. 

If you look closely on the left in the 2nd pic you can see my daughter belly tobagganing down the hill towards the fire lol

F60CDC2F-97FB-45EC-826D-9754A7F13F8D.jpeg

2FB66D23-8656-4979-81F7-DFDBF92CCE80.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

No ice fishing on mirror lake i dont think. Maybe on lake placid itself? Mirror lake plows a path around the outer ring for ice skating, and there are numerous spots for pickup hockey games.

You're right...I just looked and they don't allow ice fishing. Interesting, although from what I'm reading its out of season for trout up there anyway so probably not worth it anyway. Down here in Putnam the reservoirs are open for trout all season which are special regulations vs. the standard state regulations.

Well that was a nice way to start the day, a half inch of fresh fluff making the dirty ice at least look nice for a little while. I sure hope the temp goes up and we get at least a few hours of warm rain. My driveway is a glacial disaster that's nearly impassable and that's after 40 pounds of salt and 50 pounds of sand. 

• Like 1