• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

Probably a stupid question….but can a frozen pond still influence temps? Have 2 ponds near my house, both frozen enough for skating now. 2 temps at houses right near them had overnight lows a good 4 or 5 degrees higher than other local spots 1/2 mile from any water.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Probably a stupid question….but can a frozen pond still influence temps? Have 2 ponds near my house, both frozen enough for skating now. 2 temps at houses right near them had overnight lows a good 4 or 5 degrees higher than other local spots 1/2 mile from any water.

That's a good question.  I would think once completely frozen they wouldn't cause it to be warmer there.  Hopefully someone smart here can chime in on this.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Me, trying to figure out what I first thought was an easy question

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Here's a thought.  If the ponds are still freezing (i.e.,the ice is thickening), the latent heat release from that freezing process has to go somewhere.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Here's a thought.  If the ponds are still freezing (i.e.,the ice is thickening), the latent heat release from that freezing process has to go somewhere.

That makes sense to me.  So if there is ice on ones PWS radiation shield do you think that would cause a similar issue?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

That makes sense to me.  So if there is ice on ones PWS radiation shield do you think that would cause a similar issue?

It could (either accreting or melting), but in that scenario there might be enough air movement to carry it off without affecting the sensor.

I'm sure somewhere someone has studied this for some reason, but it's way beyond my pay grade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

This winter has been ok, despite the rather dismal YTD snowfall totals. A cold January with no major thaws is like winning the lottery these days. A couple respectable snowfalls in the next 6-8 weeks will make it a tolerable season.

I appreciate the cold and semi snow cover.  I just want 1-2 winter storm warnings and 6+ inch snowfalls, ideally one of those a foot plus.  I realize there have been winters when we have done a lot worse, but it's a bit tougher when the screw zones are so loud. The rest of Feb looks like decent potential for us, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1