• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

Its hysterical…if some of us “way up northwest” were posting how some in suffolk are now, it would cause a riot and claims of “you guys dont count you arent in the metro”. Sigh. 

I’m not from there, but I don’t get why some people on Long Island don’t think the NJ suburbs count as the metro area.

Just now, North and West said:

Maybe 3-5” so far at MMU, but the wind has been howling. Lots of drifting for the moderate amount of snow we’ve gotten.

Yeah we’ve had a few decent gusts, more than i was expecting tbh. Just a few inches so far, but i have a 1’ drift at my front door where the wind funnels.

• Like 3

Yeah we’ve had a few decent gusts, more than i was expecting tbh. Just a few inches so far, but i have a 1’ drift at my front door where the wind funnels.

Fun to see, right?

I like this kind of storm - snow swirling and wind howling, but not a stupid amount. And I can say that after having three big storms in the past five or so years in my neck of the woods, so I’ve been spoiled enough.

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Its hysterical…if some of us “way up northwest” were posting how some in suffolk are now, it would cause a riot and claims of “you guys dont count you arent in the metro”. Sigh. 

Rockland County is basically the Midwest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

It’s easy to see that geography isn’t a strong suit for some as they use minutes away instead of miles.  Then there are those that use road miles away rather than as the crow flys.  Riverhead is about 15 or so miles further away from Central Park than I am to @BxEngines point. 

Yeah im closer to central park than a lot of nassau cty. 

• Like 1

I think what’s interesting about our perspectives is that two of my favorite recent storms - December 30, 2000 and March 6, 2018 - don’t mean much to people in our eastern region, while they loved that early January 2018 storm, February 2013, and probably this one, because of how it performed.

It’s definitely our recency/personal bias at play that if it didn’t impact you (or really, the city), it didn’t happen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, North and West said:

I think what’s interesting about our perspectives is that two of my favorite recent storms - December 30, 2000 and March 6, 2018 - don’t mean much to people in our eastern region, while they loved that early January 2018 storm, February 2013, and probably this one, because of how it performed.

It’s definitely our recency/personal bias at play that if it didn’t impact you (or really, the city), it didn’t happen.

December 30, 2000 is definitely one of my favorites!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

My dog is obsessed with snow and she even refuses to go outside. One of our colder/windier storms in awhile. 

I’m not a jackpot guy but the fact that its so cold is a bit of a bummer because I’d have days of drifting here with more fresh snow. 1.9” on the board, in the old days it would be boarderline plowable as 2” was the threshold until the rules changed after the Martin Luther King 94 storm debacle. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 7:19 AM, gravitylover said:

Hey @wdrag We are missing your wisdom. I hope all is well with you.

Nothing to add. Plenty of excellent info posters - model guidance shared among all.  Just no time in my life. i started posting near the time of Covid furlough.  That ended 10 months ago and this just takes too much time away from family etc.  Excellent forum--- excellent contributions from all.  Hope everyone is pretty aware how good the Canadian models were against everything, how woeful the GFS til 00z/28.  Always need the Canadian on board for decent snow. EC wasn't too shabby either, with equally fortuitous prediction aka the GGEM. Have a day. 

• Like 8