Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I was actually thinking fairly pedestrian again. The models keep the northerly winds going through the night at 4-6 kts, enough to prevent most places from decoupling. The HRRR tries to calm things down toward 6z, but it's touch and go with pressure falls occurring to the south. We do have a pretty good jumping-off point though - I'm sitting at 16, down from a high of 17. With otherwise good conditions as you pointed out, it wouldn't take more than a couple hours of slack winds to really nosedive, so I will leave that possibility open.

I'll go -5F for me and -3F for you. Our spread last Sunday was 3 degrees, so tighten that by a degree or so per the slightly breezier conditions.

Points click forecast low for me is -3 tonight.  We’ll see what happens.

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service New York NY 243 PM EST Fri Jan 21 2021

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... Cirrus had thinned out for a while, but should make a comeback this evening ahead of an upper trough approaching from the west, with partly cloudy to mostly cloudy skies. The associated sfc low and its deeper low level moisture will remain south. Trended colder tonight with temps per latest MOS guidance, with lows 10-15 in/around NYC, single digits most elsewhere, and 0 to 5 below across Orange/Putnam/N Westchester where winds should decouple over snow pack late tonight. Steady N flow in combination with these temps will result in minimum wind chills around zero in NYC, 0 to 5 below in most suburbs and across Long Island and the immediate SW CT coast, and 5 to 10 below farther north/west.

8 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Points click forecast low for me is -3 tonight.  We’ll see what happens.

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service New York NY 243 PM EST Fri Jan 21 2021

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... Cirrus had thinned out for a while, but should make a comeback this evening ahead of an upper trough approaching from the west, with partly cloudy to mostly cloudy skies. The associated sfc low and its deeper low level moisture will remain south. Trended colder tonight with temps per latest MOS guidance, with lows 10-15 in/around NYC, single digits most elsewhere, and 0 to 5 below across Orange/Putnam/N Westchester where winds should decouple over snow pack late tonight. Steady N flow in combination with these temps will result in minimum wind chills around zero in NYC, 0 to 5 below in most suburbs and across Long Island and the immediate SW CT coast, and 5 to 10 below farther north/west.

-4 for me...I'm betting the over

Just now, snywx said:

Can’t remember the last time this area was the coldest around. Normally @IrishRob17or @Juliancoltonclaim that spot. Quick scan of nysmesonet show everyone in the area around 0 w/ Otisville still -8. Impressive

Strange night for sure in that regard. -15 in Bethel and -16 in Woodbourne stand out on a cursory look... wouldn't be surprised if a few hollows in Sullivan and/or western Orange touched -20.

-5.8 was the low here. My general call held up nicely in and around the valley, at least.

• Like 2

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Strange night for sure in that regard. -15 in Bethel and -16 in Woodbourne stand out on a cursory look... wouldn't be surprised if a few hollows in Sullivan and/or western Orange touched -20.

-5.8 was the low here. My general call held up nicely in and around the valley, at least.

Would you think snowpack played a role here? Most of southern Sullivan county from Monticello down through Rock hill has a solid 10” down. Most areas on this side of the county still have a 6-7” snowpack. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, snywx said:

Would you think snowpack played a role here? Most of southern Sullivan county from Monticello down through Rock hill has a solid 10” down. Most areas on this side of the county still have a 6-7” snowpack. 

It certainly helps. I have 5” still here but it was clear is was colder just west of here. Had we picked up some solid fresh snow on Thursday I wonder how cold it would’ve got but it is what it is. The Mount Washington temps were interesting as you go up the mountain. Last I checked it was -15 at the base and +5 up top.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Doing something wrong?

Rob, don't ask me to explain things when I have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

I'll throw conspiracy theories out there. They're purposely  adding several degrees to their readings to lure tourism? Who wouldn't want to ride a roller coaster in 16° weather. In 10° weather that would be crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Rob, don't ask me to explain things when I have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

I'll throw conspiracy theories out there. They're purposely  adding several degrees to their readings to lure tourism? Who wouldn't want to ride a roller coaster in 16° weather. In 10° weather that would be crazy.

LOL. I noticed they had just a little bit of wind over the last couple hours but it’s been dead calm here. This is the weather minutiae that @Juliancolton and I really enjoy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Good morning CP. Your making a perfectly good point. It all depends on how well you place and construct your personal Lego’s. As always. 

• Like 1