• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

I was somewhere between 4 and 5 inches when it flipped but it had been mixed sleet for quite some time before the flip and it was raining from the start. This is some of the heaviest crap we've had in years. There's water running under the slush on top of the ice layer so when you push the insulating layer of slush off it instantly turns to a sheet of ice before it starts melting. The plow pile could have sucked but I just pushed it across the street so the plow would push it down the hill. Now at least I got it down to pavement so it can be sanded and made passable after tonights freeze.

• Like 1

Average Pocono amounts coming in seem to be around 6-9” inches. I’m going to say an even 8” here. Impressive event for sure, giving the horrible track. The warning not only verified here, but on the higher end at that. I believe I held onto all snow until atleast 2 am. Snowing lightly on the backside now as well. Never got above freezing and it’s 30 degrees now.

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I was somewhere between 4 and 5 inches when it flipped but it had been mixed sleet for quite some time before the flip and it was raining from the start. This is some of the heaviest crap we've had in years. There's water running under the slush on top of the ice layer so when you push the insulating layer of slush off it instantly turns to a sheet of ice before it starts melting. The plow pile could have sucked but I just pushed it across the street so the plow would push it down the hill. Now at least I got it down to pavement so it can be sanded and made passable after tonights freeze.

The frozen ground is leaving some water puddles in low lying areas that will definitely freeze tonight and tomorrow night. Now the 12z NAM is spitting out around 4” Thursday.

D3CC166E-5098-4DEB-A56B-5B1D3ABA943E.png

• Like 1

^ Great. 

When I was shoveling I'd toss loads of wet stuff to the sides and as the water drained out it ran back into the driveway because the ground is frozen. Driving tonight is going to be scary as water will be running off all the hillsides, ditches are full of snow and leaves, storm drains are too so that water will be in the roads and freezing up nicely :yikes: I think I'm gonna go get a couple of bags of playground sand at Home Depot...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^ Great. 

When I was shoveling I'd toss loads of wet stuff to the sides and as the water drained out it ran back into the driveway because the ground is frozen. Driving tonight is going to be scary as water will be running off all the hillsides, ditches are full of snow and leaves, storm drains are too so that water will be in the roads and freezing up nicely :yikes: I think I'm gonna go get a couple of bags of playground sand at Home Depot...

Agree, I think it will catch some folks off guard later. 

35 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Never really expected this. The voice of reason, Snowman19, had assured everyone there would be an inch or less below I84.

Still can't quite figure out why that guy hates snow so much. Sledding accident as a kid, car accident on snow as an adult? bad skiing accident that left him disfigured?

Correct on the HRRR, it nailed this for our area. At Robs urging I actually model watched the last two days instead of just reading comments.

Well I didn’t mean to urge, I respect everyone has a different approach to weather.  I promise you I don’t look at the euro in the middle of the night but will in the morning, along with the other models. We have some very good posters who provide great info that we can learn from. That said, especially when we have a storm to track, posters come out of the woodwork and there’s some terrible IMBY poor interpretations.  I just try to learn a little more each day. 

• Like 3

Well I didn’t mean to urge, I respect everyone has a different approach to weather.  I promise you I don’t look at the euro in the middle of the night but will in the morning, along with the other models. We have some very good posters who provide great info that we can learn from. That said, especially when we have a storm to track, posters come out of the woodwork and there’s some terrible IMBY poor interpretations.  I just try to learn a little more each day. 

It’s really cool to hear the reasonable, knowledgeable, and experienced people. As for snowman, he’s like a model with known biases; you know it’s going to be warm and just go from there.

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

The frozen ground is leaving some water puddles in low lying areas that will definitely freeze tonight and tomorrow night. Now the 12z NAM is spitting out around 4” Thursday.

D3CC166E-5098-4DEB-A56B-5B1D3ABA943E.png

Pretty awkward timing given my younger sibling is moving into her (second) college on Thursday. We’ll see what happens.

Tangental note, she’s starting at Oswego which means she’s going to get to witness LE events. Lucky kid. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Pretty awkward timing given my younger sibling is moving into her (second) college on Thursday. We’ll see what happens.

Tangental note, she’s starting at Oswego which means she’s going to get to witness LE events. Lucky kid. 

My son did two years up there and loved it. He was chuckling out at South Bend last week when they picked up a few inches of lake effect and some thought it was like a blizzard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

What a despicable slushy mess. It was pouring rain at times while I was clearing. Sun's out now, which is good for getting down to pavement, but would have been welcomed about 90 minutes ago... 

Certainly no over performance east of the river.  Next please.  The sooner this shush storm gets behind us, the better. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The urging was good. It was about time I did a little work myself regarding these storms.

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Never really expected this. The voice of reason, Snowman19, had assured everyone there would be an inch or less below I84.

Still can't quite figure out why that guy hates snow so much. Sledding accident as a kid, car accident on snow as an adult? bad skiing accident that left him disfigured?

Correct on the HRRR, it nailed this for our area. At Robs urging I actually model watched the last two days instead of just reading comments.

The tin foil hat conspiracy theorist in me pretends to believe he owns a competing weather forum that is devoid of activity so he hops on here sowing anti weenie discourse in the hopes it will drive more activity to his website.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, White Gorilla said:

Certainly no over performance east of the river.  Next please.  The sooner this shush storm gets behind us, the better. 

Definitely nothing to write home about. Purely from an academic perspective, I think we did about as well as we could have given the setup. The valley stayed frozen for as long as the coldest guidance, and ended up near the upper bounds of the QPF progs. It could have easily been 1.5"  followed by hours of alternating sleet and drizzle. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Definitely nothing to write home about. Purely from an academic perspective, I think we did about as well as we could have given the setup. The valley stayed frozen for as long as the coldest guidance, and ended up near the upper bounds of the QPF progs. It could have easily been 1.5"  followed by hours of alternating sleet and drizzle. 

True, could have been worse 

19 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The timing was abysmal though, no sugar-coating that part. Everything was starting to get that marshmallow look when I got up at 3:30 to measure, but of course it was slop by the time twilight rolled around. 

LOL at marshmallow look. Snow potholes I call it.  Haven't seen that in a while.  Reminded me of many winter snow to rain events of the 80s. 

17 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Whatever film I missed on the driveway is already freezing. Sketchy is the name of the game for a while now.

Lots of sketchiness out there this morning as all that water at the bottom of the pack froze wherever it was running off last night.  5" of solid mass at the stake this morning.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

How's everybody doing on running snow totals? I have 8.6" YTD. I'm sure someone has the data to show that's only like 3" below average for the date, but subjectively it ranks up there with the all-time stinkers imby

I'll have to check when I get home as I don't recall off the top of my head what I had in January besides Monday.  I know that was nothing notable but those tenths do count.

27 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

How's everybody doing on running snow totals? I have 8.6" YTD. I'm sure someone has the data to show that's only like 3" below average for the date, but subjectively it ranks up there with the all-time stinkers imby

It sucks in our neck of the woods.  Extremely weak sauce so far. I am hopeful we make up the rest of the winter.  If not, oh well. 

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm at 11.0 even right now.

It's hard to find any reliable sights in the HV with good historical snowfall averages. Poughkeepsie hasn't done snowfall totals for years but when they did they were atrocious, even worse than Central Park was at measuring. It seemed like anything less than 3 inches they didn't bother to measure many years. I guess that's one of the reasons they sopped them measuring. Finally someone at NWS realized the data was bad.

• Like 1