• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

Bx and Rob talking about old... Yo, Rc, straighten them boyz out would ya ;)

So what happens when you put a few inches of wet snow down then add a few inches of rain to it when the ground is frozen? It runs off, right? Anyone living at the bottom of a hill or along a watercourse is about to get washed away. FFG won't show it because it's been so dry it thinks the ground can absorb the new water. The guidance is wrong. It's going to get messy Monday morning. 

• Like 1

I’m kinda surprised although I shouldn’t be at the number of folks that can’t fathom the huge swing in temps coming up.  

I’ve seen it before. I’ve taken Christmas lights down in the past and I could feel the humid, warm air roll in. It’s like an inverse of how the temperature drops like a rock on a cold, clear night.

Youre old af 

i was in 8th grade. Our middle school overlooked the hudson, and i’d stare out and watch the ice every day lol

One of my favorite weather memories was looking out the window all morning in middle school on the morning of February 8, 1994.
giphy.gif

You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Already down to 4 here. We'll see where it ends up. Pipes are frozen despite my heat tape so that's a bummer. 

It was cool seeing my station pick up the pressure rise/fall couplet from the Tonga volcano. Nothing like places on the east coasts of water bodies, but still fascinating to me. 

I’ll have to check my station too, what time did you see it on yours?  I see a dip, besides when looking in a mirror, around 12pm on my station. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ll have to check my station too, what time did you see it on yours?  I see a dip, besides when looking in a mirror, around 12pm on my station. 

I have it centered around 10:50 am. You can see the progression of the wave easily via the NY Mesonet... here are the stations at Buffalo (pressure wave at 10:35), Belleville (10:45), and Dover here in my neck of the woods (10:55). It loses a lot of amplitude as it moves away from the lakes and has to contend with terrain once again.

rGJ5TQJ.png

55fqEL2.png

zhpqOEl.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I have it centered around 10:50 am. You can see the progression of the wave easily via the NY Mesonet... here are the stations at Buffalo (pressure wave at 10:35), Belleville (10:45), and Dover here in my neck of the woods (10:55). It loses a lot of amplitude as it moves away from the lakes and has to contend with terrain once again.

rGJ5TQJ.png

55fqEL2.png

zhpqOEl.png

Interesting stuff. Here’s my station

3A9A3DDE-7680-4702-BEE9-D5EF64E04647.jpeg

• Like 2

Does anyone else get frost quakes in their yard during these cold nights?

We get them every winter, very loud on the coldest nights, like last night. From what I've read about them they're nothing to be concerned about, but one of these mornings I'm expecting to see a crater in my backyard.

Any insight would be appreciated if anyone has experienced them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

We get them every winter, very loud on the coldest nights, like last night. From what I've read about them they're nothing to be concerned about, but one of these mornings I'm expecting to see a crater in my backyard.

We had one last night, around 12:45 am. Then not related to that, a power outage at 5am. Power was out for around 2 1/2 hours. House cooled real fast with the temp at +5. Thank god for the manual override switch on my gas fireplace. Currently at +3 with a forecast low of -2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

here in Vernon, 1/15 around 1am. Always shocking.

also have lots of black walnut trees here with frost cracks. 

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Frost quake?

Yeah, first I’ve never heard of that. I’ve had the house creak and pop on real cold nights. I’ve heard the ice on the Wallkill pop, that’ll get your attention, but frost quake is a first for me but was an interesting little read this morning. Sitting right at 0 now. 

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

0 was indeed the low here. Todays model runs appear to be just a touch cooler with more frozen precipitation so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out for folks in this thread. 

-4 here. As an aside, the westward-moving pressure wavefront around midnight was quite a bit more pronounced around here than the first perturbation, might be worth checking your station again. I had a 1.7 mb drop in 5 minutes between 12:04 and 12:09. Here's the Walkill mesonet station with fully a 2-mb drop.

cpp0KGd.png

I don't even care about the storm anymore. This stuff is way more fun, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

-4 here. As an aside, the westward-moving pressure wavefront around midnight was quite a bit more pronounced around here than the first perturbation, might be worth checking your station again. I had a 1.7 mb drop in 5 minutes between 12:04 and 12:09. Here's the Walkill mesonet station with fully a 2-mb drop.

cpp0KGd.png

I don't even care about the storm anymore. This stuff is way more fun, lol

Wow, cool stuff!  Here’s my chart 

6B016143-2C1E-47DC-9571-D178A7BEF511.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think folks west of the river are in for a nice front-end thump. Model trends have been good for speeding up precip onset and delaying the mid-level warmth a bit. Wouldn't be shocked to see someone in the OC get 6" before the mix. 

What timeframe are you thinking about the onset for our area? Dewpts jumped +5 in the last 3 hours.