Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

6 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Not happy with how the winds look to be shaping up…

I wasn’t happy with the winds from my wife last night…

27 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The last two hours of conversation, entertaining as it is, says it all regarding the 18Z runs. I don’t even have to look. 

So you come here first?  Interesting, I look at the models first. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good evening Irish. If your love happens to read this thread, I have a, just in case, safe house in Bay Ridge. As always ….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Always Rob. Why look at models, most of which I don’t have access to, when I can read the tones of personal conversations and pretty much know what the models say. 

it works for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Irish. If your love happens to read this thread, I have a, just in case, safe house in Bay Ridge. As always ….

Oh I had her laughing, it was something else. She had cabbage and noodles for lunch that her father had made her and I text her parents “NO MORE CABBAGE AND NOODLES!”  It was all in good fun. 

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Oh I had her laughing, it was something else. She had cabbage and noodles for lunch that her father had made her and I text her parents “NO MORE CABBAGE AND NOODLES!”  It was all in good fun. 

Humor wrapped in love, a recipe for an outstanding partnership. As always ….

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Always Rob. Why look at models, most of which I don’t have access to, when I can read the tones of personal conversations and pretty much know what the models say. 

it works for me. 

We all hold the models in different levels of esteem. Some feel compelled to stay up late for the Euro a week ahead of time, while others are content to just wait and see what falls. It's all fair play. It must be said, though, for those so inclined, we've never had access to more free model data than we do now. In fact, with Pivotal and weather.us supplying free hi-res Euro graphics, I don't subscribe to any paid sites anymore. This is the golden age of wx info.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

We all hold the models in different levels of esteem. Some feel compelled to stay up late for the Euro a week ahead of time, while others are content to just wait and see what falls. It's all fair play. It must be said, though, for those so inclined, we've never had access to more free model data than we do now. In fact, with Pivotal and weather.us supplying free hi-res Euro graphics, I don't subscribe to any paid sites anymore. This is the golden age of wx info.

How's this for shallow?  Sadly I don't always necessarily look at the thread.  I just look at how long its been since the last post.  The following guide has been very reliable over the years:

Last Post                  Current Snow Prognosis

Just now                   Very very positive trending toward greater than previously expected plowable snow

1-2 minutes              Status quo favorable toward plowable snow

3 minutes                 Some hints at trouble, either for change to rain or out to sea, still a good shot at plowable snow

4 minutes                 Negative trends - rain or out to sea looking more likely

5-15 minutes            Negative trends reinforced - expectation is now for minimal snow or snow and quick changeover - but still some hope

15 minutes+              All hope is lost.  Some new posts, but they're talking about next week's possibilities.

• Haha 3

“Only” down to 1 here this morning but should get below 0 tomorrow morning. Anyways did some snooping around on Wundermap this morning looking at some of the typically coldest stations I am aware of across the entire northeast. Took a screenshot of the coldest I found. These two stations are located around 2200 feet on Cascade Road coming into lake placid sandwiched in between a couple 4000+’ peaks. Perfect recipe for frigid temps.  

CED9AA9B-B556-4C73-82AD-54A3EE547E51.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

“Only” down to 1 here this morning but should get below 0 tomorrow morning. Anyways did some snooping around on Wundermap this morning looking at some of the typically coldest stations I am aware of across the entire northeast. Took a screenshot of the coldest I found. These two stations are located around 2200 feet on Cascade Road coming into lake placid sandwiched in between a couple 4000+’ peaks. Perfect recipe for frigid temps.  

CED9AA9B-B556-4C73-82AD-54A3EE547E51.png

That -27 is for a campground and buildings for the Northwoods school i think. 

and that section of the drive to Lake Placid is some of the prettiest roads anywhere. Especially in winter. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

We all hold the models in different levels of esteem. Some feel compelled to stay up late for the Euro a week ahead of time, while others are content to just wait and see what falls. It's all fair play. 

I lean more towards let’s see what actually happens. I was never one to stay up late to wait on models runs in the middle of the night. As you point out, to each their own. 

• Like 2

I lean more towards let’s see what actually happens. I was never one to stay up late to wait on models runs in the middle of the night. As you point out, to each their own. 

My way of looking at it is to open up my phone when I wake up each morning and see how many posts there are. If I need to get through 10, I know it’s OTS or going to rain. If it’s 100+, I’m in the sixth grade again and it’s January 1994.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, North and West said:

My way of looking at it is to open up my phone when I wake up each morning and see how many posts there are. If I need to get through 10, I know it’s OTS or going to rain. If it’s 100+, I’m in the sixth grade again and it’s January 1994.

I was a senior in college then, probably my favorite winter. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Made it down to -1 here earlier. The wind is a killer today... 

Got down to 6, wind is relatively calm here. The models did a good job picking up on that IMBY

10 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Youre old af 

i was in 8th grade. Our middle school overlooked the hudson, and i’d stare out and watch the ice every day lol

I get the assist after setting you up, as is tradition. That said, watch it, we are both in our 40’s there Chet…for the next five months anyway…LOL