Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The high of 16 was impressive. The low which is my current reading of 7 not so much. 

Our lows are always unremarkable in CAA regimes... we're far enough south that we need radiational cooling to get us below zero. This was a plenty cold airmass, with Albany's 12z 850mb temp of -26.3C falling just a few tenths short of the daily record. That's how you get impressively cold highs.

In an ideal world, this cold high would park itself for a few days as we radiate down to like -15F the first post-fropa night, and then moderate a couple ticks with each passing day. Instead, we don't even get one good radiating night before the airmass gets usurped by + 850 anomalies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

In the main thread, since people are all over the place geographically, is there any real guidance yet apart from model noise for North Jersey?

Thanks.

At this stage, we're all pretty much in the same boat. All model guidance has been trending toward a more amplified storm, and a mixed-precip event is currently favored over an all-snow one. As Rob says though, it's a volatile upper-air pattern, so changes are likely. Climo and the cold antecedent airmass argue for at least some accumulating snow before any change to rain.

• Like 1

At this stage, we're all pretty much in the same boat. All model guidance has been trending toward a more amplified storm, and a mixed-precip event is currently favored over an all-snow one. As Rob says though, it's a volatile upper-air pattern, so changes are likely. Climo and the cold antecedent airmass argue for at least some accumulating snow before any change to rain.

Thanks! Some of the storms mentioned that were bad for the coast - March 2017, January 1994, maybe even February 2014 - had some nice snows at MMU.

Every storm is different so I guess we’re just at 9b819d6f3b82aa84c376b38e5ab7721f.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Thanks! Some of the storms mentioned that were bad for the coast - March 2017, January 1994, maybe even February 2014 - had some nice snows at MMU.

Yeah, some of the best storms have sleet or mid-level dryslot issues nearby. I had mixing in all three of those events. The Euro isn't far from something like that, albeit with a more progressive system overall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, North and West said:

Every storm is different so I guess we’re just at emoji2371.png

Not sure why that always comes up for February 2014.  It was great here (2/13-14/2014).  I think that was a storm where the south shore didn't fare as well, but a huge dump of snow here ~15" followed by a little freezing rain.

20140213Snowstorm-016es800.jpg

20140214SnowIce-041es1000.jpg

• Like 4

Honest question, because I’d love if everyone’s name would say where they’re located (because I’m in Morristown, which is vastly different than Putnam County, Toms River, or Eastern Long Island, but I digress) when they pontificate… but is it all right to ask yet what the heck is going to happen Sunday evening into Monday?

I’ve had a lot of storms here that are wildly different versus the city and Long Island (March 6, 2018, February 5, 2001, March 1994, I go on), so I’m not sure if I should expect rain, slush, or even a little snow. Sounds like wind will occur.

Thanks, guys. And please no insane Mercer Lake commentary.

National Weather Service New York NY 346 PM EST Thu Jan 13 2022 CTZ005>008-NYZ067-068-070-141030- /O.NEW.KOKX.WC.Y.0001.220115T0500Z-220115T1500Z/ Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex- Northern New London-Orange-Putnam-Northern Westchester- 346 PM EST Thu Jan 13 2022 ...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT TO 10 AM EST SATURDAY... * WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills from 15 below zero to as low as 20 below zero. * WHERE...Portions of southern Connecticut and southeast New York. * WHEN...From midnight Friday night to 10 AM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.