joxey
January 3 CAPE Storm

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Quasievil said:

I've simply never seen it he used in any meaningful discussions. I'll be sure to refer to it more.

I look at the ICON as a side project. Europe undeniably has the most accurate global wx model in the world. Germans like making fancy techy sciency things and got jealous so they built their own. There are 2 versions. The lower res global version is what we see. The high res icon goes out 4 days and covers Europe. It's regarded as pretty accurate and even more accurate than the ECWMF in the short range. But from a global model perspective, it's 4th behind euro/gfs/cmc. It's certainly good enough to be useful but I'd be hesitant to put it #1 with an east coast snow storm in the short range. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I look at the ICON as a side project. Europe undeniably has the most accurate global wx model in the world. Germans like making fancy techy sciency things and got jealous so they built their own. There are 2 versions. The lower res global version is what we see. The high res icon goes out 4 days and covers Europe. It's regarded as pretty accurate and even more accurate than the ECWMF in the short range. But from a global model perspective, it's 4th behind euro/gfs/cmc. It's certainly good enough to be useful but I'd be hesitant to put it #1 with an east coast snow storm in the short range. 

So you are saying the Germans should just get a participation trophy?

DefiantGranularFrilledlizard-size_restri

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

It’s not as good up here compared to 00z, but looks good for you guys south :snowing:

Not sure I agree with you friend. From what I’m seeing your precip went up quite a bit. I haven’t looked at any snow maps though so I don’t know if some falls as rain.

20 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Such a smol storm. I feel blessed that it ever happened a real thread the needle type situation. If we go by according to the ICON this will generate incredible frustration.

I don't think this is storm mode material but considering the drought of good winter events it should be.

Still not a region-wide event?

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not sure I agree with you friend. From what I’m seeing your precip went up quite a bit. I haven’t looked at any snow maps though so I don’t know if some falls as rain.

I’m only looking at precip totals, 00z had me at .7, now it’s .4

in fact it’s drier area wide, eastern shore was over 2 qpf, now it’s closer to 1 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic