joxey
January 3 CAPE Storm

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

On the Meteocentre maps only (not the ‘prettier’ maps yet), but UKMET took a big jump NW as well.  image.gif.574ac8ca818bbd96bc52a6cfd12ff4b8.gif

Probably the most significant shift out of any non-meso compared to its 12z counterpart. Still not as amped as others, but takes the 1" snow line into DC. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Probably the most significant shift out of any non-meso compared to its 12z counterpart. Still not as amped as others, but takes the 1" snow like into DC. 

Just saw the better maps on Pivotal.  Agree on the shift (its in NAM territory in terms of size of shift) and it makes me wonder if we’re not yet done with the adjustments on the UK heading into tomorrow’s 12z.

4 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I want this storm to be the GFS route not only because it snows a lot but also the panic it would cause. Imagine people wake up tomorrow and see their weather app saying a foot for DC, people would freak out.

Mass carnage and fighting for the last bread and milk good way to start the new year

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

How when according to some models it should be snowing in 27 hours are we at the GFS saying 15 for DC, Euro saying an inch or two, CMC with 2ish and icon with less than an inch. But all of them are adjusting to be like the odd one out. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS.

Is this your first season looking at wx models?

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Just saw the better maps on Pivotal.  Agree on the shift (its in NAM territory in terms of size of shift) and it makes me wonder if we’re not yet done with the adjustments on the UK heading into tomorrow’s 12z.

I’m gonna go with a no on if we are done.

Mainly because that’s what I want :lol:

• Weenie 3

22 minutes ago, Ephesians2 said:

if this even comes close to verifying, DC radio will probably get a lot of public criticism ... just heard WTOP say "a few flurries north and west" Monday morning

Clay Anderson wanted to say it and showed models showing lots of snow, but he ended up saying “might get sprinkles.”

I expect Lauryn Ricketts tomorrow morning will do a much better job for NBC4. 

• Haha 1

I’ve been gone for 72 hours and this happens. What the F is going on?

I honestly haven’t looked at anything, but I did see a tweet posting the 5H look becoming increasingly less progressive allowing for a deeper, more neutral tilt to the shortwave trough. Considering the thermal gradient provided by the east bound cold air mass, we’ll probably see a nice area of baroclinicty on the lead side of the trough/ULL. The attendant height rises ahead of the deepening trough help bring a great NW pull of the precip field as the low pressure ramps up. If you look at the 7H moisture panel, it tells a lot of the story. Sneaky little sucker here. Like areas along and south of Rt 50 for the time being, but areas north could get into the fun.

I’m on the road all day tomorrow, so won’t be able to look at much. Will peruse when I can. Good luck y’all

• Like 10
  • Thanks 15

48 minutes ago, Chase said:

Clay Anderson wanted to say it and showed models showing lots of snow, but he ended up saying “might get sprinkles.”

I expect Lauryn Ricketts tomorrow morning will do a much better job for NBC4. 

Yeah definitely understand the position they are in, they don't want another March 2013. I would not want to be a TV meteorologist right now :mellow:

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic