• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Adk trail inn this time. There are a few dog friendly hotels/air bnbs/inns we pick out. Cobble mountain lodge is amazing that’s my go to place but it was all filled up. 

I’m so impressed by your passion for this stuff. I think you’re making the very most of life almost daily. Congratulations! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m so impressed by your passion for this stuff. I think you’re making the very most of life almost daily. Congratulations! 

I appreciate this, nature, weather, and hiking are huge passions of mine and I want to look back on my death bed at all my adventures. I post most of my adventures on Instagram if you want to follow me. 

https://instagram.com/richardhulburd?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Sky cleared out and lake effect died. So much for the WWA here.  Only 3-4 weeks of winter remain.

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. Another failed lake effect event on NW winds. These NW wind lake effect events behind cold fronts do diddly for Syracuse...or maybe it's just the new theme of snow dying here all the time. Looks like Syracuse city area did even worse, as has been the case, over the past 2 days. Looks like the lake effect has made its way over the new snowbelt of SW Onondaga county. Glad we got some moisture yesterday for a couple of inches because today's snowfall was waaaay less exciting than I thought it was going to be. I think we'll be mostly grass by Monday/Tuesday (Maybe even tomorrow pm).

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. Another failed lake effect event on NW winds. These NW wind lake effect events behind cold fronts do diddly for Syracuse...or maybe it's just the new theme of snow dying here all the time. Looks like Syracuse city area did even worse, as has been the case, over the past 2 days. Looks like the lake effect has made its way over the new snowbelt of SW Onondaga county. Glad we got some moisture yesterday for a couple of inches because today's snowfall was waaaay less exciting than I thought it was going to be. I think we'll be mostly grass by Monday/Tuesday (Maybe even tomorrow pm).

The best storms for Rochester/Syracuse are inland nor’easters with nw flow behind them. They provide synoptic snow and enough moisture behind to keep the nw flow going strong with thicker bands as opposed to arctic front nw flow which is usually very dry unless reinforced by clippers. November of 2016 rings a bell in my head as a good example of this. 

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2016-2017&event=A

• Like 3

@TugHillMatt

The close proximity of the strong low and the associated deep 
moisture and lift made this a hybrid lake effect snow event.  Lake 
enhanced snow covered a much larger area than in our typical lake 
effect snow events that feature very narrow bands of heavy snow.  

We haven’t seen this storm track in 2 years. It’s still the climo favored track and why Syracuse averages 120”+

• Like 1

The best storms for Rochester/Syracuse are inland nor’easters with nw flow behind them. They provide synoptic and enough moisture behind to keep the nw flow going strong with thicker bands as opposed to arctic front nw flow which is usually very dry unless reinforced by clippers. 

Yeah, and unfortunately those Inland Noreasters have been MIA for years. That's why I said 20s with moisture is great. These dry, cold NW winds behind cold fronts are so meh. Models had showed the clipper today reinforcing the lake effect, but it was extremely minute. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, and unfortunately those Inland Noreasters have been MIA for years. That's why I said 20s with moisture is great. These dry, cold NW winds behind cold fronts are so meh. Models had showed the clipper today reinforcing the lake effect, but it was extremely minute. 

It was quite treacherous north of you guys. These systems do well for westerly favored areas 

• Like 1

@TugHillMatt

The close proximity of the strong low and the associated deep 
moisture and lift made this a hybrid lake effect snow event.  Lake 
enhanced snow covered a much larger area than in our typical lake 
effect snow events that feature very narrow bands of heavy snow.  

We haven’t seen this storm track in 2 years. It’s still the climo favored track and why Syracuse averages 120”+

Can you post the storm information for which this refers?  That's why I have said "lake effect" is an extremely overrated term when referring to snow in Syracuse. Lake enhancement doesn't get enough credit...and I think Syracuse's climate relies MUCH more on enhancement from synoptics than the typical lake effect. The area in which I lived in West Michigan was very similar, in that it relied on synoptic events for enhancement more than pure lake effect. So when synoptic patterns SUCK, the season's average is reaaaally bad...like we've seen the past 3 winters.

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Can you post the storm information for which this refers?  That's why I have said "lake effect" is an extremely overrated term when referring to snow in Syracuse. Lake enhancement doesn't get enough credit...and I think Syracuse's climate relies MUCH more on enhancement from synoptics than the typical lake effect. The area in which I lived in West Michigan was very similar, in that it relied on synoptic events for enhancement more than pure lake effect. So when synoptic patterns SUCK, the season's average is reaaaally bad...like we've seen the past 3 winters.

It’s the above link I posted nov 2016 

• Thanks 1