• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Seriously, do these people honestly want torch? I can never tell if I’m just a rube who doesn’t understand their sense of humor??

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hah... they're serious. Some people aren't as big of winter weenies as you and me. We want WINTER in winter.

I mean there is some sarcasm to it. I cheer for snow from Nov 1st-Mid March. My philosophy is if it isn't going to snow may as well be warm out. Cold/dry is the worst pattern, even Tughill agreed with this.

I'm more of an extreme weather fan more than anything else. High winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, blizzards, I love them all almost equally. When most people here disappear from the forum in spring/summer I'm still really active in severe threads around AMX and especially during Hurricane season. The only thing that stands above them all for me is an extreme LES event.

Summer is my favorite season though. :sun:

• Like 5

GSB Cities The 2021 - 2022
Snow Season
Normal Average 
to Date
This Time 
Last Season
Normal
Seasons Average
All Time Season 
Snowfall Record

Buffalo 75.6 70.3 58.6 94.7 199.4 inches (1976 - 1977)
Rochester 63.4 69.5 47.8 99.5 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960)
Syracuse 47.6 90.0 51.4 123.8 192.1 inches (1992 - 1993)
Binghamton 39.1 56.2 82.8 83.4 135.2 inches (2016 - 2017)
Albany 17.1 38.5 49.3 60.2 112.5 inches (1970 - 1971)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Lake effect band starting to form. Don't think it will be anything too strong, but snowing nicely atm.

Seems like americanwx has changed, where you can't post images like before? Options seem limited now?

You've been cancelled. Or, maybe delete some of your filespace here? Just a thought.

Snowing nicely, small dendrites. Should be good enough for another 0.8" on our march to futility...

Well, if 0z GFS is right, we Torch, we rain, we cool then we retorch and we rain some more. At least in CNY and east.  

1" tonight,  band has fallen off L.O. and dispersing.  Looks like this winter is about a wrap.  Time to start thinking about planting the garden.  Thinking of growing cannabis this year. Bring on Morch!

Rare but an avalanche occurred in the ADK a few days ago.

AVALANCHE 2-12-22

A Large Avalanche Saturday at Noon in the Adirondack High Peaks on the Angle Slide (formed on the shoulder of Wright Peak in 2011 by Hurricane Irene) carried and completely buried 2 skiers.

The D3 Avalanche started on a Northeast Slope at the 3500 foot elevation level and was approximately 100 feet wide at the start but quickly propagated wider and ran for 1500 feet.

One skier was buried 1-2 feet below the surface and was able to free himself within 5 minutes. He was able to then locate the second skier (who was completely buried in an inverted position 4-5 feet below the surface) with his avalanche rescue beacon.

The first skier proceeded to dig the second skier out with his avalanche rescue shovel. The second skier had been buried between 10 -15 minutes ,had shallow breathing and was not responsive. The second skier then began regular breathing and regained consciousness on his own as his partner continued to dig him out.

Both skiers were otherwise uninjured , (had lost 3 buried poles and one buried ski ) and were able to make their way back to the trailhead 3 miles away.
Avalanches of this magnitude are rare in the Adirondacks, but they can and will happen, and they can have life threatening results.
Avalanches can happen to anyone. These skiers were well prepared, had all the proper gear, and when needed the first skier was able to save the life of the second skier.

Luckily , the first skier was buried shallow enough to be able to dig himself out or this incident would have involved 2 fatalities.
Avalanches can happen quickly and violently,even to the most experienced with all the proper training and gear......please be careful out there.....
Lots of hikers, skiers, and riders on Slides these days....this is just a heads up warning.....if you are going to venture on Slides in the Winter: take an avalanche awareness or higher level course, carry the appropriate avalanche gear,make good decisions.....they were both lucky to walk away from this Skier Triggered Large Avalanche......
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

And another factoid- snow fell as far south as Homestead, FL on 1/19/1977, which is the same winter that set the seasonal snowfall record for Buffalo.

1/17/1977 snow was in the air at Freeport in the Bahamas, the only time it has snowed in those islands. The winter of 1976-77 went down as one of the coldest in the east and in fact provoked some talk that we were going into a new ice age. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

@BuffaloWeather I notice the winter of 1959-1960 produced record snowfall for Rochester. That winter also set the record in Nashville (38"). Must have been a pretty remarkable winter for much of the U.S.

Conversely, the seasonal snowfall record in Binghamton, set in 2016-2017, occurred while much of the Mid-Atlantic recorded very low snow totals for the season. Quite the gradient!

59-60 was a good winter here too. Double digit snowfall in 5 months Nov-March with a great February. 

1959-60 0 0 0 T 12.2 14.2 18.3 49.5 19.5 1.9 T 0 115.6

8 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

And another factoid- snow fell as far south as Homestead, FL on 1/19/1977, which is the same winter that set the seasonal snowfall record for Buffalo.

1976-1977 was the worst winter in Buffalos history with 200" of snow recorded at the airport, with much more south of the city. It also had the blizzard of 1977 which gave the city its name. 

1976-77 0 0 0 0.2 31.3 60.7 68.3 22.7 13.5 2.2 0.5 0 199.4

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean there is some sarcasm to it. I cheer for snow from Nov 1st-Mid March. My philosophy is if it isn't going to snow may as well be warm out. Cold/dry is the worst pattern, even Tughill agreed with this.

I'm more of an extreme weather fan more than anything else. High winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, blizzards, I love them all almost equally. When most people here disappear from the forum in spring/summer I'm still really active in severe threads around AMX and especially during Hurricane season. The only thing that stands above them all for me is an extreme LES event.

Summer is my favorite season though. :sun:

I have to agree for the most part, although I wouldn't want to experience a tornado - I'm a much bigger fan of winter severe weather as opposed to summer severe.

Extremes are the way to go though. Ideally, I like at least one 12" snowfall per year, one "zero day" per winter, and one 95 degree day in the summer. I couldn't handle living in a place like Seattle or Vancouver. Not enough variance in the weather, and I really dislike cold rain in the winter.