• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I just saw that Albany only has 17.1 inches for the winter.

That's crazy

Heavier snows have fallen to their west, east, and south this season. Reminiscent of several years ago when we couldn't buy consistent coastal huggers for several seasons. In any case, Syracuse east through western new England have struggled this year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Where do you think you can find ice like that on Erie?  Are there really spots frozen that flat and clean?  My hike idea might have been a little ambitious trying to go all the way out to the break wall but shoreline walk def looks ok.

I think everything is 3-4" thick going out at least a few thousand feet. That ice looks to be south of here near the Dunkirk pier? But you can pretty safely ice skate now almost anywhere along the immediate shore line.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think everything is 3-4" thick going out at least a few thousand feet. That ice looks to be south of here near the Dunkirk pier? But you can pretty safely ice skate now almost anywhere along the immediate shore line.

The hard part, though, is finding a mirror flat surface like that. 99.9% of the ice I’ve seen on the big lakes is crusty, horrible stuff. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You'll get your wish soon enough

image.jpeg.db7483f5a9b1bcb76a9b6908e36fca9f.jpeg

CFS has been suggesting that long-term big eastern warmup for weeks. It has to happen eventually though with the oscillations that smart people talk about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Leelee said:

CFS has been suggesting that long-term big eastern warmup for weeks. It has to happen eventually though with the oscillations that smart people talk about.

I agree with you but I don't like it one bit lol! Really wish we could keep this snow and cold going strong here in wny till at least March. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leelee said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. That's a pretty good signal for -EPO at hour 240 on the EPS and around ~216-240 on the GEFS. That ridging in the NE Pacific is what we could call a -EPO. If there was a trough there it would be a +EPO. Now for real cold you do need that ridge to build northward more for cross-polar flow, but with it being 240 hours out that's completely on the table. The main issue is that it is 240 hours out and can completely change by then. 

1 hour ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

First time snowmobiling today, might be hooked. Did about 100 miles across the southern tier. One more reason to love snow. 

5C8318FB-42B6-4097-BA76-8A79B27A8732.jpeg

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I love snowmobiling. Its been tough to do the last few years. This is week 5 of being able to do it consistently.

Can't agree more. Easily top 3 favorite hobby.

It's a rabbit hole once you really get into it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@SouthBuffaloSteve I'm going to take my post back, I don't think its safe after looking at this

https://www.facebook.com/100001516526387/videos/3200489203607922/

The immediate inner marinas and inlets are solid but out into the main lake itself I would not say it’s safe.  Spotted this gap yesterday in the ice as it was likely shifting.  

00597736-7682-42C0-9494-0D1B2ED16C27.jpeg

• Like 1