• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

January 2022's weather journal for Buffalo written circa 1691...

* Every day this month (26 days!) has had measurable snow.  I fear this climate is too harsh for any long-term settlement as these conditions are akin to those rumored to occur in the far northern regions. 

* The snow appears suddenly out of nowhere.  Our local Doctor/Pastor/Postmaster/Weatherman announced today that the snow streak would be broken as the atmospheric pressure was certainly too high for any frozen precipitation to fall.  No sooner said than 2 inches of fluff fell from the sky this morning.  And lo...as I pen this there are yet more cotton balls pouring down into the night.  Clearly weather forecasting has a long way to go...I'm sure by the 21st century such folly will never take place.   

* The heavy falls of snow are unlike anything even written in legend.  Two separate days in a little over a 1 week span where 17 inches fell!  

* Remarkably, we have a report from our fellow settler Tughillory Matt of the Lysander colony of no snow cover, mild temperatures, and even early blooming plants.  Given his proximate latitude to our colony he must be located in a wonderful microclimate to afford such mid-winter bliss.  Oddly, all of his correspondence gives a sad and bitter tone.  

So that's my silly way of relaying some pretty amazing stats for BUF in January (20)22!  

I believe the Lysander colony is possessed of a spirit from the underworld who brings sizzle to the colony and environs. A witch hunt may be in order. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

* Every day this month (26 days!) has had measurable snow.  I fear this climate is too harsh for any long-term settlement as these conditions are akin to those rumored to occur in the far northern regions. 

* The snow appears suddenly out of nowhere.  Our local Doctor/Pastor/Postmaster/Weatherman announced today that the snow streak would be broken as the atmospheric pressure was certainly too high for any frozen precipitation to fall.  No sooner said than 2 inches of fluff fell from the sky this morning.  And lo...as I pen this there are yet more cotton balls pouring down into the night.  Clearly weather forecasting has a long way to go...I'm sure by the 21st century such folly will never take place.   

* The heavy falls of snow are unlike anything even written in legend.  Two separate days in a little over a 1 week span where 17 inches fell!  

* Remarkably, we have a report from our fellow settler Tughillory Matt of the Lysander colony of no snow cover, mild temperatures, and even early blooming plants.  Given his proximate latitude to our colony he must be located in a wonderful microclimate to afford such mid-winter bliss.  Oddly, all of his correspondence gives a sad and bitter tone.  

So that's my silly way of relaying some pretty amazing stats for BUF in January (20)22!  

Looking at the first post in this thread and wow everything played out as I posted, just thought it would be region wide not just WNY.

I know more snow fell in Jan 2019, but think this month overall was better, it's close though.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BUF&issuedby=BUF&product=CF6&format=CI&version=40&glossary=0

• Like 2

EC weenies have all eyes on tonight’s NAM run. Both extremes in last 2 runs. The NAM just accentuates extremes in this time frame. Which is why it can sniff out weaknesses and strengths. It just magnifies them it seems like to me. 
It was the first to smash the hopes of our eastern members during the last big storm- right? 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

From 2010-2020 there was only 1 month at KBUF with more than 50" of snow and that was Jan of 2019 with 63.4"

January of 2022 is at 51.3" not counting todays and Fridays snow.  We have a chance at a top 5 January if this next even over performs.

It's been a great month for Buffalo.  If things keep up out here the way they've been this season though, I might ask to borrow your lake for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Still pretty far SE, not a 2-3' storm like the models were initially showing

qpf_acc.us_ne.png

Wow. Not chasing that. Still decent for SE MA and...Ocean City MD.  Actually my old stomping grounds in Hampton VA looks good. Maybe i shoul chase it there! They got a few inches last week, rooting for them always.

And, Congrats Gulf Stream?

19 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Wow. Not chasing that. Still decent for SE MA and...Ocean City MD.  Actually my old stomping grounds in Hampton VA looks good. Maybe i shoul chase it there! They got a few inches last week, rooting for them always.

And, Congrats Gulf Stream?

Yeah I mean this storm starts late Friday night. It's less than 48 hours away. There will likely be some small adjustments, but you'd have to be right on the coast unless it changes quite a bit in these runs in a few hours to be worth a chase.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I mean this storm starts late Friday night. It's less than 48 hours away. There will likely be some small adjustments, but you'd have to be right on the coast unless it changes quite a bit in these runs in a few hours to be worth a chase.

I do like Cape Cod a lot. Chatham wouldn't be a bad place to hole up for a CC blizzard weekend. Bit pricey though and the risk of getting mix in there is always high. But the wind might be worth it.  I guess I shouldn't have blown off this chica was seeing a bit recently. Could've been a real fun quick road trip.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

I believe the Lysander colony is possessed of a spirit from the underworld who brings sizzle to the colony and environs. A witch hunt may be in order. 

LOL... I was gone all evening and this gave me quite the chuckle.

I came across this tidbit just a bit ago:

Dearest friends of the Buffalonian colonies,

Whilst it tis true that we do have a snowcover in these lands, I can guarantee you that there are flowers yearning to pop out their petals in the first thaw that falls across the land. There seems to be a burning hell furnace that soars in on the south winds.

Ol' Man Max of the Syrs walked off one day thinking we had accidentally settled in the Carolinas and said something about exposing hairy legs to the equatorial warmth from the south that seems to invade this land.

He has yet to return...We think he may have made a wrong turn and found himself in the lands of the toothless...lead by a wolf? There are many legends of this faraway land and how they can only eat using their tongues and gums!

Alas, I am indeed bitter because I was promised tons of white powders in which I could frolic, sniff, roll around, and push Mrs. Tughillory. Instead, I find myself watching the clouds disperse, avoiding strange white pellets from Hell, and hoarding any snowfalls into piles in the shaded forests of Lysander.

The Natives are beginning to suspect things about me, and I am indeed becoming concerned for my well-being. I have come across many who seem to be brandishing sharp items and sneering at me. I first thought this was their Native language but now I'm not sure.

If you do not receive bitter word from me again in a month's time, please come looking for me. I may be sacrificed into the Hellmouth or banished to a worse place: the Mid-Atlantic Nation.

May the Erie Lake freeze over forever and you all die of frostbite gangrene.

Coldest Regards,

Brother Tughillory Matt of the Lysander Colony

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

LOL... I was gone all evening and this gave me quite the chuckle.

I came across this tidbit just a bit ago:

Dearest friends of the Buffalonian colonies,

Whilst it tis true that we do have a snowcover in these lands, I can guarantee you that there are flowers yearning to pop out their petals in the first thaw that falls across the land. There seems to be a burning hell furnace that soars in on the south winds.

Ol' Man Max of the Syrs walked off one day thinking we had accidentally settled in the Carolinas and said something about exposing hairy legs to the equatorial warmth from the south that seems to invade this land.

He has yet to return...We think he may have made a wrong turn and found himself in the lands of the toothless...lead by a wolf? There are many legends of this faraway land and how they can only eat using their tongues and gums!

Alas, I am indeed bitter because I was promised tons of white powders in which I could frolic, sniff, roll around, and push Mrs. Tughillory. Instead, I find myself watching the clouds disperse, avoiding strange white pellets from Hell, and hoarding any snowfalls into piles in the shaded forests of Lysander.

The Natives are beginning to suspect things about me, and I am indeed becoming concerned for my well-being. I have come across many who seem to be brandishing sharp items and sneering at me. I first thought this was their Native language but now I'm not sure.

If you do not receive bitter word from me again in a month's time, please come looking for me. I may be sacrificed into the Hellmouth or banished to a worse place: the Mid-Atlantic Nation.

May the Erie Lake freeze over forever and you all die of frostbite gangrene.

Coldest Regards,

Brother Tughillory Matt of the Lysander Colony

If central NY gets one more bad winter I can totally see @wolfie09 and @Syrmax doing this to you.

Kick Him Out GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

GEM is big hit for SNE, what a crazy model disparity so close.

I wouldn't want to be clinging to the GEM and JMA ala TheForumThatShallNotBeNamed is doing now.  Sad.

GooFus is too far right probably but despite the op Euro's always superior h500 verification vis-a-vis the GooFuS, seems like Euro has been slow to sniff out sensible, meaningful, system trends in comparison for a while now.