• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

lol not sure what this one guys talking about, but overall if the pattern can slow down a bit and extend the cold a bit longer id be happy. 

either way I think this winter for Buffalo-Toronto area will end up being remembered as a good one by the local population. Snow cover for two weeks minimum check, big snowstorm check, big time cold check. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cny rider said:

That summarizes our last 2 ski trips to Stowe.

One day of above freezing temps on soft snow, a little rain, followed by a dive below zero and the whole mountain freezing solid.

Our luck when we go there has been so bad that we gave up.  The long drive and the crazy expense just haven't been worth it for us.

Hopefully Dave's trip will be better.

Yeah. That’s the problem with planning these ski trips back East. The mountains cost the same as western resorts but you just can’t rely on good snow. I’m at the age where I have zero interest in skiing on ice. Just none. I’d much prefer to pay 1,000 for plane tickets and get to Montana or Utah. 
I shouldn’t bitch. My last two trips were great but 3 years ago our trip to Killington was an absolute joke. 55F with torrential rain followed by below zero and completely dry. The worst possible conditions. 
Ehh, like Tom said, it’s a ways out but the freaking consistency of these models has me very concerned. 
Warmth is fine. It’s just the washout followed by cold that I’m already preparing myself for….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaistDeepSnow said:

Turkey gets lake effect snow from the Black Sea.  An airmass originating from Siberia is a likely cause.  

My friend in Holland says they've had perpetual Spring there so far this winter.  (Spring is not particularly warm there).  And i've noticed a quasi-permanent HP parked west of the British Isles for weeks now.  It's too far east for a Greenland Block but that's where it has set up this month.

3.2” and still snowing. I may be wrong again TS. 4” seems achievable as flake size has been much much better the last hour or so. Perfect dendrites. The snow piles are getting extreme here. Having trouble backing out of the driveway now. Need to back in so we can pull straight out otherwise it’s almost impossible to see what traffic is coming. Snow banks along roadside are 4-5 feet. Deep deep winter here. 

makes over 17” in the last 48 hours. As well as over 30” in the last 7-8 days. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

84hr nam looks similar to the 18z gfs with holding the energy back in the SW. Like I said the other day... if this thing is gonna miss the entire forum including ENY, hopefully it's like the 18z gfs and misses everyone lol.

If we can't have it, no one can! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

3.2” and still snowing. I may be wrong again TS. 4” seems achievable as flake size has been much much better the last hour or so. Perfect dendrites. The snow piles are getting extreme here. Having trouble backing out of the driveway now. Need to back in so we can pull straight out otherwise it’s almost impossible to see what traffic is coming. Snow banks along roadside are 4-5 feet. Deep deep winter here. 

makes over 17” in the last 48 hours. As well as over 30” in the last 7-8 days. 

I agree about the snow piles, especially street corners in the busier roads. I’m not going to complain though as just a month ago we were staring at grass and mud. What difference a month makes. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

84hr nam looks similar to the 18z gfs with holding the energy back in the SW. Like I said the other day... if this thing is gonna miss the entire forum including ENY, hopefully it's like the 18z gfs and misses everyone lol.

Yeah. It cuts of that SW energy. Looks just like the 18z GFS. 

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I agree about the snow piles, especially street corners in the busier roads. I’m not going to complain though as just a month ago we were staring at grass and mud. What difference a month makes. 

Yeah this month is going to be one of the best winter months in quite sometime for WNY. Up there with Jan/Early Feb of 2019 where we reached a max depth at airport of almost 30", and Dec/Jan of 2017/2018 for recent winters. Feb of 2021 wasn't bad either.

• Like 2