• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Going to be putting together videos of some of Upstates biggest snowstorms. It's been a project I've always wanted to work on. Obviously going to do 1977, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2006, 2010. Already did one for 2014. Let me know if you guys want any photos/videos added or any other storms you can think of.

Here is the first one I completed for Blizzard of 1985. Some of the older storms its tough to get good content on. There were hardly any videos/photos for this storm. I want to make them a few minutes each if possible. There are so many storms in the Buffalo book of snowstorms that go way way back, but no content for them. There are a couple in there with 70"+ totals. =(

Feb 1994 crushed the southern tier.   Also December 2020!

• Like 1

The storm lasted from January 27 to January 31, 1966, a total of 4½ days. The daily snowfall totals for Oswego are as follows.

• January 27, 1966: 8 inches (20 cm)
  • January 28, 1966: 12 inches (30 cm)
  • January 29, 1966: 11 inches (28 cm)
  • January 30, 1966: 21 inches (53 cm)
  • January 31, 1966: 50 inches (130 cm)
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

The storm lasted from January 27 to January 31, 1966, a total of 4½ days. The daily snowfall totals for Oswego are as follows.

I know I’ve posted this before but this was the storm that kindled my love of meteorology. I was 11 and living in Little Falls in the Mohawk Valley. We didn’t get as much snow as Syracuse and Oswego but probably got at least 2 feet. The feature that really made this storm memorable was the constant strong winds. Whenever roads, especially in the country, were plowed they would almost immediately drift back in. We didn’t have school for a week. The thruway was closed and people became stranded. A relatively new vehicle, the snowmobile, was used to check stranded cars. Snowmobiles we’re also used to bring essential supplies to people stuck in their houses. The Indian Castle rest area just outside of Little Falls became a refuge for hundreds of travelers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I know I’ve posted this before but this was the storm that kindled my love of meteorology. I was 11 and living in Little Falls in the Mohawk Valley. We didn’t get as much snow as Syracuse and Oswego but probably got at least 2 feet. The feature that really made this storm memorable was the constant strong winds. Whenever roads, especially in the country, were plowed they would almost immediately drift back in. We didn’t have school for a week. The thruway was closed and people became stranded. A relatively new vehicle, the snowmobile, was used to check stranded cars. Snowmobiles we’re also used to bring essential supplies to people stuck in their houses. The Indian Castle rest area just outside of Little Falls became a refuge for hundreds of travelers. 

Mine was probably the "Lindsey Storm" of 1969 in NYC.  Under/un forecasted and caught everyone with their pants down.  It's blamed for the NYC Mayor Lindsey losing re-election, IIRC, as NYC's snow removal was atrocious.  I was in NNJ for that as a wee lad.  We had some very solid snowstorms in late 60's / early 70's there.  Than i moved to SE VA.  Game Over other than the winter of 77-78 where the James and York Rivers froze down to Hampton Roads and we actually had snow cover for an extended period.

56 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Mine was probably the "Lindsey Storm" of 1969 in NYC.  Under/un forecasted and caught everyone with their pants down.  It's blamed for the NYC Mayor Lindsey losing re-election, IIRC, as NYC's snow removal was atrocious.  I was in NNJ for that as a wee lad.  We had some very solid snowstorms in late 60's / early 70's there.  Than i moved to SE VA.  Game Over other than the winter of 77-78 where the James and York Rivers froze down to Hampton Roads and we actually had snow cover for an extended period.

2.9.69 Remember it well, initial forecast was for 1-2 inches of snow changing to rain  for NYC, NYC schools closed  day after on Feb 10th 1969

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

That day 5 finale wow

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I think Izzy is gonna be a nice region wide snowfall with some serious totals coming in directly South of Ontario and the to the SE of the Lake as the LE sets up behind the departing LP. I'm gonna stick around for this one cause it has the potential to be a KU, one for the record books!

Temps are cold throughout and 3 days before the system starts to affect our region of the NE. I haven't even looked at any models as of yet cause I can't imagine their all in agreement this far out, but I could be wrong. I'm just thinking what can possibly go wrong, lol, and we know, all too well, the answer to that one, lol!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I think Izzy is gonna be a nice region wide snowfall with some serious totals coming in directly South of Ontario and the to the SE of the Lake as the LE sets up behind the departing LP. I'm gonna stick around for this one cause it has the potential to be a KU, one for the record books!

Temps are cold throughout and 3 days before the system starts to affect our region of the NE. I haven't even looked at any models as of yet cause I can't imagine their all in agreement this far out, but I could be wrong. I'm just thinking what can possibly go wrong, lol, and we know, all too well, the answer to that one, lol!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Come join us in here Freak..

After the MLK day storm

Though on a smaller scale, this period features additional chances
for snow each day behind the departing large scale winter storm.

Tuesday lake effect snow will continue to the south and southeast of
the Lakes. Snow will likely be found heaviest near Lake Ontario
where a secondary trough will be dropping across the Lake, enhance
low level convergence and moisture.

Wednesday a fast moving alberta clipper will pass across our region,
leaving several inches of snow in its wake. Ahead of this feature
temperatures will rise to around freezing Wednesday before another
arctic airmass drops across our region to close out the week.

Thursday will be colder with highs in the lower 20s, with chances
for lake effect snow south of Lake Ontario on a light northerly
flow. With the arctic airmass featuring little ambient moisture,
any lake effect snow will be fluffy and light.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Do you have any video/news highlights of this event?

I don’t personally have any. Back then we didn’t take pictures or videos like we do today. If we had smartphones then I would have taken hundreds. There are some videos on YouTube. I’ll list a few I’ve found.  Some of them were done by local TV stations to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the storm. 

This one was done by a guy in Rochester:

From Syracuse.com:

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/50-years-later-remembering-the-blizzard-of-66

Good luck with your project. 

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, wolfie09 said:

I know it's been said but nice little follow up clipper..

Now if the clipper goes to far north, southerly wind could cause some rain showers to mix in.. Obviously not at that at point yet lol

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27 (6).png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24 (6).png

Wpc introduced some rain showers with the next clipper.. Looks like the Canadian TBH.. Just north of that line at the moment, we'll see how future runs look..

wpcwx+frontsf120 (6).gif

Can't say I've ever seen the coldest air in 3-4 yrs with no snow on the ground, definitely going to be a weird day tomorrow. 

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
***Active weather pattern with chances for snow***

Lake snows will be ongoing Tuesday morning focusing east and
southeast of both lakes. Winds will then back to the west and
southwest by Tuesday afternoon and evening sending lake snows north
off both lakes ahead of a clipper low. The clipper low will then
approach the region late Tuesday night with increasing chances for
for snow as we head into Wednesday.

Canadian-NH and GFS in general agreement that a clipper low will
track near the N. shore of Lake Ontario into the North Country on
Wednesday. Although, the 00Z/14 ECMWF tracks is a bit further north
into Canada with less widespread precip for our area. Have gone with
a blend of models at this point due to the uncertainty of the track
of the clipper. Still think there could be several inches of snow
with this clipper system. With its passage, a much colder air mass
will filter into the eastern Great Lakes with 850 hpa plunging down
to -20C/-23C by Thursday morning.

Thursday, a cold northwest flow (wind chill values in the single
digits to below zero) will be felt with lake snows focusing east and
southeast of both lakes again. The air mass looks dry but there
still could be some light accumulations in the most persistent
snows, especially with any upstream connections coming into play.

Thursday night, lake snows will all but wrap up with just some
flurries east and southeast of the both lakes. Friday, looks mainly
dry but continued cold with highs in the teens to low 20s.
  • Like 1