• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

Thanks @RDM @NorthArlington101and @vastateofmindfor the advice. Got 10th and a time drop in my 50 free and a 1 and a 1/2 second time drop in my 100 free getting me 8th place. Times were 23.13 and 50.41 and am now as a freshman swimming two events in regionals! Also my school won the district, was an awesome experience. All jumped in the pool and stuff when they announced it. Anyways thanks for the advice and stuff it seems to of helped.

• Like 7

Thanks [mention=7173]RDM[/mention] [mention=9980]NorthArlington101[/mention]and [mention=3707]vastateofmind[/mention]for the advice. Got 10th and a time drop in my 50 free and a 1 and a 1/2 second time drop in my 100 free getting me 8th place. Times were 23.13 and 50.41 and am now as a freshman swimming two events in regionals! Also my school won the district, was an awesome experience. All jumped in the pool and stuff when they announced it. Anyways thanks for the advice and stuff it seems to of helped.

you’re super speedy - congrats!
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just for fun :

Top 10 favorite  Snowstorms you've personally experienced. 

2010( Feb 10th) Miller b 

2011 ( October)

2010 ( Feb 5th)

HM-- December 1992 ( I chased ) 

2 Snowstorms  u wish u personally experienced:

**Blizzard of March 1958 ( 4.00" Qpf)

**Lake effect ---- Montague, NY 1997 

HM -- Feb 1978 ( technically I did but I was a toddler lol)

My favorites in order (IMBY only):

1) Feb 10, 2010

2) Jan 2016

3) PDII 2003

4) Feb 6, 2010

5) Dec 2009

6) Feb 2014 (on a college campus, but close enough)

Storms I chased:

Feb 2013, MLK 2022, and October 2011.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Thanks @RDM @NorthArlington101and @vastateofmindfor the advice. Got 10th and a time drop in my 50 free and a 1 and a 1/2 second time drop in my 100 free getting me 8th place. Times were 23.13 and 50.41 and am now as a freshman swimming two events in regionals! Also my school won the district, was an awesome experience. All jumped in the pool and stuff when they announced it. Anyways thanks for the advice and stuff it seems to of helped.

Congratulations to you AND the team!  Swimming is both an individual and a team sport (as you know all too well).  As a freshman, you'll capitalize on the experience and only get better in the coming years.  Share your talent with the others on the team and help raise everyone's performance.  People rise to the expectations levied upon them!  Good luck in the Regionals!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Congrats!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hey Randy...how was the concert?

It was great, got an oveture I never heard live (The Consecration of the House).  I don't know how I keep forgetting this, but paying extra for the orchestra pit (a few rows back from the absolute front) is so worth it.  I know center middle is the best for sound, but I was good where I was.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Well done!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

It was great, got an oveture I never heard live (The Consecration of the House).  I don't know how I keep forgetting this, but paying extra for the orchestra pit (a few rows back from the absolute front) is so worth it.  I know center middle is the best for sound, but I was good where I was.

Nice!  I haven't heard that overture either.  Next time I see something at the Kennedy Center, I'll have to keep that in mind about the orchestra pit.  Last time I was there was to see Phantom of the Opera a few years back.  And my daughter in a performance of Washington Ballet's "Alice in Wonderland" years ago when she was younger.  She was a student in the ballet school, and they had several students perform in that (same thing with Nutcracker every year, but that's performed at the Warner).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Those are good gains, and yep...great job and congrats! I didn't mention last evening something else my son said, but which (I'm sure) you're already well aware of....playing off 1) the advantage of your heightened adrenaline and 2) the energy of your teammates in competitions such as last night. Sounds a little corny...but I think it worked well for him back in the day, and honestly, for a lot of swimmers.

3 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

Regrettably haven't been to the Kennedy Center since 2008. I do still have my signed program announcement that I dug up the other day. Wonderful violinist 

49020218-E91B-4871-8CB8-72D8F350430D.jpeg

Interesting. You got me straining to remember the last time I went to KC -- I believe it was in the mid-2000s to see the touring production of Titanic the Musical. And honestly, despite knowing the ending going in....it was damn good.

REALLY wanted to get to KC to see a small production of the musical Chess several years ago, but never made it...Arlington-based Signature did a production of Chess a couple of years before that was well reviewed, too. Really hoping for a big-budget Broadway revival in my lifetime...a severely underrated musical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

No, haven't seen that!  Cool!  Ludwig van's signature.

Ah but it's even more than that...see that rip in the page? If you look closely you tell that that orignallly said "Bonaparte"...lol Beethoven saw Napoleon as a sort of hero for the common man...and thus Napoleon became the original inspiration for this symphony. But then...when he got the news that Napoleon had declared himself emperor of France

‘So he is no more than a common mortal! Now he, too, will tread underfoot all the rights of man [and] indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men [and] become a tyrant!’

After that, an enraged Beethoven stormed over to the score and scratched out Bonaparte so hard that it ripped the paper...and thus it remains today, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Awesome! Sounds like a great spot to really feel those rhythms up close and personal! Woo!

Ok I know I am a weather geek. But I also love trains and planes. 

I have just recently found several live airport streams. One over in England and one from LAX. Airline Videos live. I have spent almost the whole day on the couch watching planes land and take off at LAX. And on top of that I have FlightRadar24 to figure out each flight. Going to make some popcorn!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok I know I am a weather geek. But I also love trains and planes. 

I have just recently found several live airport streams. One over in England and one from LAX. Airline Videos live. I have spent almost the whole day on the couch watching planes land and take off at LAX. And on top of that I have FlightRadar24 to figure out each flight. Going to make some popcorn!

Link?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Awesome! Sounds like a great spot to really feel those rhythms up close and personal! Woo!

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

We have the dumbest of hobbies.  I don't know about anybody else, but sometimes I wish I was a normie.  My mom knew I was weird when I was 4.  It would be thundering and lightening outside, everybody going away from the windows and I'd sit in a chair at the window.  High school, calling my mom to hold the phone up to the TV at 11:20 tuned to the weather channel when the 5 day business planner came on.  I'm honestly surprised my mother just didn't throw the whole child away and start over.

Suspect many of us had similar experiences.  My parents used to say I was going to be a weather man when I was barely old enough to walk.  

I recall one April 1st in when we had a big hail storm in Ohio when I was about 12.  Called my mom at work to tell her about it and she could not hear me from the racket outside.  Had tons of golf ball sized hail.  She thought I was playing an April Fool's joke and had someone near the phone banging on a bucket until her and dad got home from work.  I had evidence in the freezer. They'd already grown tired of my affliction by then...    

I've often wondered when they finish mapping the human genome if they'll ID the "weather gene" we all share.  If so, sure hope they DON'T create a cure for it in the future efforts to cure all "diseases"!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• mappy unpinned this topic