Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

58 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

@Maestrobjwa - Definitely want to echo what others have said. You do seem to honestly want to work on it - and that's great!. But if weather makes you legitimately want to throw things in anger it might be crossing from being a hobby to being something unhealthy. 

I don't mean to sound funny - but what @Ji has sort of turned into his "thing" on the board - you genuinely seem to be experiencing for real on your side. 

Of course everyone has different interests/hobbies etc - but I've picked up a bunch of new stuff to occupy time between various weather events. It makes things way more tolerable. Anything from fossil hunting at Calvert Cliffs to getting a board game group together. Just things to bridge the gap. Get yourself into astronomy events or something - that way things like the Perseids meteor showers or cool eclipse events get you excited as well. 

Weather as a hobby should be fun - sure there's some disappointment built in - but it's like seeing your favorite team lose in playoffs. It stings and you keep moving to the next hobby or season. 

I hope snow/weather can go from being a stressful hobby for you to being one that you enjoy more wholly. 

This so much. 

There are already enough things in life that cause stress……try your best to keep something fun from turning into a trigger for stress. And, if it is, please talk to someone. There is nothing wrong with doing that. 

my non-weather hobbies……gardening, cycling, golf, photography, etc and I’m a season ticket holder for PSU football so that fills my fall months.

• Like 3

Mount Holly AFD.. not Boston, but not too shabby for the coastal areas locally.

Tonight is when we will be getting into the real meat of this storm. The forecast models are now in good overall agreement tracking rapidly deepening low pressure NNE from off the SE coast to a point near or just south of "The benchmark" (40 degrees latitude north / 70 degrees west) by 12z Saturday. Snow will become more widespread and increase in intensity south to north through the evening hours. Northerly winds will ramp up with time as well. The end result is that by the overnight period, snow, becoming heavy at times will encompass much of the area near and S/E Of the I-95 corridor with the increasing winds resulting in blowing snow and reduced visibilities. Hence the Blizzard Warning for the coast. Also, by the predawn hours of Saturday, northern edge of snow will be getting into our far N/W counties but still expecting much less snowfall here. For Saturday, low will be due east of the area off the coast as it continue to rapidly deepen and move northeast. This will result in blizzard conditions continuing near the coast as wind gusts will be up to 50 mph with snowfall rates 1-2 inches per hour at times as our coastal zones will be in the intense snowfall band on the N/W side of the storm. The snow won`t be quite as heavy but still heavy at times back towards the I-95 corridor (including Philly) with rates here even getting to around 1 inch per hour at times along with winds gusting 30 to 40 mph. The snow continues through the morning before then starting to diminish with time from west to east across the area as we get into the afternoon. However the very strong winds will continue through the afternoon as the storm pulls away aided by the cold advection pattern in its wake with winds shifting from north to NW. For this reason, blowing/drifting snow will likely continue in places right through the day, especially near the coast.

• Like 2

this thread is 87 pages long, so i'm going to post...

currently consuming jefferson's at sea and chasing it with a guinness draught while watching the hornets dominate the lakers.

also, i use youtubetv and don't have twc...but i do have weathernation.  gonna put them to the test this storm to see what kind of coverage they provide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

I'm with you on the disappointment but try not to let it get to you too much. I don't know how long you've lived in the area, but you go through this enough around here, you develop hard bark, but still, ones like this can sting a little. I'm not into this one at all, given what's happening to the north and east. Yeah, yeah, expectations, climatology. All very logical, but this isn't the rational part of the brain we're dealing with, this is 200 proof subjectivity. I'm rare around here, I guess, in that to me, one HECS (say 18") is more than the sum of the parts of three (6") SECS or even two (9") MECS. 

Yeah definitely far from the rational side of the brain, lol No matter how much I try to tell myself that this doesn't have to matter so much...that less rational part of the brain still wants to throw a fit. And yeah, I'm like you--I'll take one big HECS all day because they are indeed special. And yeah, I've lived here all of my brief 31 years...but I've been actively tracking on here for about 7-8 years. Ignorance was bliss...the misses still hurt but at least I didn't know the model runs yet, lol But perhaps time will take some of the sting out of these misses (and thankfully you only hear about it for a couple days!) Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Have districts tonight for high school swim, swimming 50 and 100 free. Seated 11 th in both events have to get top ten to get to regionals. Have to drop around a half second in 50 free and a little over a second in 100 free. From the swimmers on this board any advice also @NorthArlington101 got any advice?

In the 50? My weakness was that I never could kick, so I always recommend kicking. Legs won't burn out in a 50. Also head down, breathing is overrated.

In the 100? I'm sure you've heard this a million times but that first 25 should be easy speed/let the adrenaline carry you. Make yourself do a few underwaters off each wall and build that second 25 and then hit that last 50 hard. Good warmup, stay loose, stay awake

caveats -- my best time in each event was like a 22.2 and a 48.4 and that was like when I was 18 so in the very real likelihood you've outpaced me already take this all for the little its worth

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Tom Brady retiring on a day when all New Englanders are home enjoying the blizzard.  Nice timing by the Goat 

Not a Pats or Bucs fan, but there’s a certain sadness about that. The end of an era and fan or not, I think we all gained from watching this guy. There are athletes like this from time to time. The Jordans, Johnsons, Birds, Kareems, Sanders, Marinos, Rices, Montanas, Ovis, Crosbys, Jeters, Aarons, Roses, Tigers, Nicklauses etc, fan or not, that raise their sports and all sports fans are better because of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Have districts tonight for high school swim, swimming 50 and 100 free. Seated 11 th in both events have to get top ten to get to regionals. Have to drop around a half second in 50 free and a little over a second in 100 free. From the swimmers on this board any advice also @NorthArlington101 got any advice?

Do your best and enjoy yourself.  Leave nothing in the pool.  If you give it your best and know you did your best then keep your head high and congratulate the others.  But if you believe you can, then you can.  

Famous story about Bob Beamon who set a world record in the long jump by nearly 2 feet at the 1968 Olympics.  That's right, he exceeded the previous world record at the time by nearly 2 feet.  He had a premonition that he could do it and he just did it.  Now the fact he did it just blew even himself away.  In a sport where world records are incrementally raised by fractions of an inch, Bob's new mark nearly 2 feet longer was beyond spectacular.  Look him up on Youtube.  It's really something.  

So, if you can imagine dropping that second in the 50, just do it.  Don't question IF, but only imagine a fraction of a second here and there, a little bit harder push off the flip, an extra flick of your wrist on the stroke, keeping your fingers cupped, even when your arms are burning, it will all add up. 

If this is your last swim as a high schooler you'll remember it for the rest of your life.  I'm 60 now, so HS was a long time ago.  Ran x-country and track and made it to Districts in Ohio in both - sub 15:00 5K x-country and about 4:30 in the mile, reasonable, but not good enough when there were 16 guys in Ohio at sub 4:12 my senior year.  Remember my coach telling me at the last meet - just go out there and enjoy yourself, no matter what happens because you'll remember this one.  He was right, then and still now 42 years later...  

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.Mike said:

Whiney asses in the NE forum are complaining about getting only 12". 

For real  :facepalm:

Some posters in that region have a very high bar to be satisfied. If they expected 20-30" then a run of the mill MECS will be a disappointment. And they can take a 12" storm for granted because they get them almost every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

In the 50? My weakness was that I never could kick, so I always recommend kicking. Legs won't burn out in a 50. Also head down, breathing is overrated.

In the 100? I'm sure you've heard this a million times but that first 25 should be easy speed/let the adrenaline carry you. Make yourself do a few underwaters off each wall and build that second 25 and then hit that last 50 hard. Good warmup, stay loose, stay awake

caveats -- my best time in each event was like a 22.2 and a 48.4 and that was like when I was 18 so in the very real likelihood you've outpaced me already take this all for the little its worth

@SnowenOutThere, all of this is sound advice from @NorthArlington101. On a whim, I just ran the discussion between you two past my 24-year old son...who was an occasional NVSL rock star in 100 free and 100 fly in NVSL back in the mid 2010s, and (I guess) in HS swim, but walked away from the sport for good after the VA states competition in HS senior year...and he concurred with all of the recommendations here...especially on the kicking part.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not a Pats or Bucs fan, but there’s a certain sadness about that. The end of an era and fan or not, I think we all gained from watching this guy. There are athletes like this from time to time. The Jordans, Johnsons, Birds, Kareems, Sanders, Marinos, Rices, Montanas, Ovis, Crosbys, Jeters, Aarons, Roses, Tigers, Nicklauses etc, fan or not, that raise their sports and all sports fans are better because of them.

No doubt Brady is the GOAT. But the cool thing is we got to watch the future of the NFL in that Bills/Chiefs game last weekend. Best football game I have ever watched in my life. And that is saying something when you are as old as me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No doubt Brady is the GOAT. But the cool thing is we got to watch the future of the NFL in that Bills/Chiefs game last weekend. Best football game I have ever watched in my life. And that is saying something when you are as old as me. 

I personally find the shotgun/spread revolution less aesthetically pleasing than say the 1990's with fullbacks.  The game has swung too much to the offense for my personal taste.  Please note that I am just talking about my personal preference.  I hate it when people try to argue that their personal likes are objectively superior and their personal dislikes are objectively inferior.

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I personally find the shotgun/spread revolution less aesthetically pleasing than say the 1990's with fullbacks.  The game has swung too much to the offense for my personal taste.  Please note that I am just talking about my personal preference.  I hate it when people try to argue that their personal likes are objectively superior and their personal dislikes are objectively inferior.

I like a good defensive game as well. But that game last week was just really special. You dont get 3 lead changes in the last minute of a game. It just doesnt happen. 

37 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Amen. Amen. Amen. I do not like this sandlot style of football that we wouldn’t be seeing if that didn’t allow holding in every single block.

34 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like a good defensive game as well. But that game last week was just really special. You dont get 3 lead changes in the last minute of a game. It just doesnt happen. 

Wouldn’t have had overtime or all those lead changes had Buffalo realized that you can’t just allow receivers like those to just stroll off the line of scrimmage and run all over the field. You can’t cover them. You have to disrupt timing even if comes with a few holding penalties.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Wouldn’t have had overtime or all those lead changes had Buffalo realized that you can’t just allow receivers like those to just stroll off the line of scrimmage and run all over the field. You can’t cover them. You have to disrupt timing even if comes with a few holding penalties.

Actually all they had to do was squib kick that last kickoff and the game ends. You cant give up the lead with 13 seconds left in a game. 

• mappy unpinned this topic