Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

11 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I'm as much of a weenie as anyone but I'm not feeling it. I keep seeing the very intelligent people in the forum saying how 95% of the time this setup doesn't work out great west of the bay yet everyone seems to just be burying that and desperately hoping for the 5% chance it defies odds. 

I'm a very rational person and I just can't go against what looks to be an overwhelming likely outcome. It's been looking like from the beginning that this setup screams something huge for someone up in the New England area. 

I feel bad for saying this but honestly I can't enjoy 2-4 inches if I know NJ, NYC or Boston is getting 2-3 feet. It's just too bitter. 

It honestly makes me a little sad when I go in the storm thread because I know how desperately everyone wants the big one, and I also think with it looking more and more evident that at least the beginning of February will start mild and possibly stormy/rainy, the pull of desperation is getting pretty intense. 

It is never fun to be on the outside looking in, and when HECS totals are so close by then it feels like you're being ripped off. Years ago I used to melt down over it but now I just focus my mind on other things when that happens.

• Like 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I'm a moderator of a pretty large DC area subreddit...and let me just say lately that has been way more refreshing than watching the drama unfold here. 

Maybe I'm just crankier than usual...but it really does seem people are WAY more testy than in prior years. Everyone needs to go eat their Snickers. 

Sometimes we just need a reality check - my dad's in the hospital with a blood infection. Kind of puts things in perspective (he'll be okay - they caught it in time!).

Honestly maybe the best thing for some of you is to miss out on this storm completely as a reality check (not directed at you @mappy). Sorry...

Snow is very important. Probably too important for some. Just keep scrolling when it happens, that's what I do. Enjoy the snow you get and that's all that matters.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but glad they caught it early, hope he is on the road to feeling better!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

many here can't. being upset that it's going to snow somewhere else a manifestation of depression that needs attention.n it has always been this way here because that behavior is considered normal.

I mean - I get into ruts when it doesn't snow too. We are missing snowstorms, my Packers are out of the playoffs...but hey - I've got a job and two good doggies that are hyper balls of energy. Ultimately the world is going to unfold as it's going to. People need to take the @Bob Chill approach more and just let things be as they are. 

11 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I've always been curious about people who chase. Would you designate a certain amount of days you'd be okay with being stuck wherever you go? 

I ask because I have three days off from work starting on Saturday, and I'm partially considering driving to the coast if it looks much better setup, but if they do get buried, I'd have the concern of being stuck there. 

It all depends where you go and what kind of vehicle you're in. If you have an elevated four by four truck you can pretty much conquer anything. But if you only have 3 days I wouldn't go any further then a hundred miles or so.

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

Snow is very important. Probably too important for some. Just keep scrolling when it happens, that's what I do. Enjoy the snow you get and that's all that matters.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but glad they caught it early, hope he is on the road to feeling better!

Good advice! My scrolling finger is going to get a workout...I also hate muting people...because often times even the awful posters sometimes are nice to interact with in the off season. I don't have a single person muted. 

Snow is DEFINITELY a mood booster - but there's too many other more important things to let it burn bridges on a weather forum. 

8 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I'm a moderator of a pretty large DC area subreddit...and let me just say lately that has been way more refreshing than watching the drama unfold here. 

Maybe I'm just crankier than usual...but it really does seem people are WAY more testy than in prior years. Everyone needs to go eat their Snickers. 

Sometimes we just need a reality check - my dad's in the hospital with a blood infection. Kind of puts things in perspective (he'll be okay - they caught it in time!).

Honestly maybe the best thing for some of you is to miss out on this storm completely as a reality check (not directed at you @mappy). Sorry...

I hope your dad is ok and gets better soon.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I've always been curious about people who chase. Would you designate a certain amount of days you'd be okay with being stuck wherever you go? 

I ask because I have three days off from work starting on Saturday, and I'm partially considering driving to the coast if it looks much better setup, but if they do get buried, I'd have the concern of being stuck there. 

I’ve chased snowstorms many times over the years and have never really been stranded for more than a day, or two at the most.  I generally try to position near major highways, which is certainly easier if it’s a spot near the coast or near cities and not mountainous areas.  I have a decent 4x4 truck and I carry most of the implements to dig out if necessary.

if it did end up being like that famous photo of the cars buried on the interstate in NE in ‘78, I guess life would just have to wait on me to return. :snowing:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mappy said:

Are we believing the Euro this week? Wasn't it just last week that everyone said it was terrible? I can't keep up. 

As a weenie, I'm enjoying the Euro but in all reality my best case REALISTIC expectations around Baltimore are some snow on Friday, maybe 1-3 inches and then getting scraped by the backedge of the coastal snow Saturday. 

I have no expectation at all for anything more than 6 inches at best(if the coastal throws enough juice back here), but just knowing how these scenarios typically play out and how the setup looks I have no expectation for a crazy big outcome. 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Some of the analysis over in the storm thread is lol-worthy. 

I think it's OK for folks to comment after the run (or at least the interesting part) is done, but there's a lot of poor discussion. Just need to rein it in a *little bit*!

I'm by no means even close to an expert, but I do comment where I feel comfortable; otherwise, I leave it to those who actually know what the hell they're talking about. Lots and lots of years of posting less and reading more. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I think it's OK for folks to comment after the run (or at least the interesting part) is done, but there's a lot of poor discussion. Just need to rein it in a *little bit*!

I'm by no means even close to an expert, but I do comment where I feel comfortable; otherwise, I leave it to those who actually know what the hell they're talking about. Lots and lots of years of posting less and reading more. :lol:

Same. I never comment on models as they come out. I let others more knowledgeable do it, my banter doesn’t help anyone lol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mappy said:

Same. I never comment on models as they come out. I let others more knowledgeable do it, my banter doesn’t help anyone lol

My meme banter is about all I'm good for.  Mainly cause others get the panels faster so I'd be commenting on 60hr while others are at the end go the run.  And I type slow.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic