Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

36 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Hello all!

I figured this forum (banter) would be as good as any to put this in. Many have been talking about Miller A vs B. A few years back we did a review of the Miller Cyclone classification system -- based off of James E. Miller's research that was published in the Journal of Meteorology (June 1946). We also applied the classification to some more recent examples (and by recent, I mean the past 10-15  years). As many of you noted, there are many "hybrid" A/B types, but even in those situations, the characteristics are going to be either A or B dominant. 

Not the gospel on the subject by any means, but I thought perhaps it would provide a little more clarity to the topic. 

Or not. :rolleyes:

Miller_Cyclogenesis_Classification_US_Atlantic_Coastal_Region.pdf 4.44 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Absolutely, brother...And wouldn't ya know it because of a random (or not ) delay it ended up getting launched on Christmas day of all days!
Can you imagine the belief system it would take to think all this was an accident and not designed by a creator?

1 hour ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:
Absolutely, brother...And wouldn't ya know it because of a random (or not emoji38.png) delay it ended up getting launched on Christmas day of all days!

Can you imagine the belief system it would take to think all this was an accident and not designed by a creator?

As one agnostic-turned Christian said...it really does take more faith to believe that than to believe in God. Even if I wasn't a believer, I'm not sure I could sit with that, knowing just how improbable it is that each thing coming together just right by pure chance. 

But whoa this a wholllle conversation (probably too long for on here, lol But we can DM) 

But yes looking up...then you truly say...How Great Thou Art.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

By the time the sun angle becomes an issue, our window for good snow (which is typically Jan. 15th-President's day--albeit we stared a bit early this year) has already passed. March means little for the lower elevations, and too much has to go right to get anything meaningful.

I have had way more snow here in March than December in recent winters. More than Feb in some cases.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I have had way more snow here in March than December in recent winters. More than Feb in some cases.

The first 15 days of March are winter.  We go through this every year and with examples of how it has worked but still it comes up.  It’s just hard to snow here any month.

12 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Guys help. I don’t understand why the Webb needs sunscreens if it is always located in the shadow of the earth. What am I missing?

The thermal infrared emission from the nightside Earth and the reflected light from the Moon is still WAY too much interference for JWST.  Have to block all that out.  The one instrument (MIRI I believe) needs to be operating at only ~6-7 degrees above absolute zero.  

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The only Jupiter pics I could find are from Juno 

There are spacecraft pictures from Jupiter from Galileo, Voyager 1 and 2, New Horizons, Cassini, and Pioneer.  Juno is just the most recent and also has some of the closest images to the cloud tops.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The thermal infrared emission from the nightside Earth and the reflected light from the Moon is still WAY too much interference for JWST.  Have to block all that out.  The one instrument (MIRI I believe) needs to be operating at only ~6-7 degrees above absolute zero.  

There are spacecraft pictures from Jupiter from Galileo, Voyager 1 and 2, New Horizons, Cassini, and Pioneer.  Juno is just the most recent and also has some of the closest images to the cloud tops.  

Yeah, on the photos I thought they meant from Webb. The photos from Juno are mesmerizing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I'm not feeling it for those of us west of the bay. It's not worth getting emotionally invested in what is likely to be a cartopper. Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this play out way too many times.

I'm as much of a weenie as anyone but I'm not feeling it. I keep seeing the very intelligent people in the forum saying how 95% of the time this setup doesn't work out great west of the bay yet everyone seems to just be burying that and desperately hoping for the 5% chance it defies odds. 

I'm a very rational person and I just can't go against what looks to be an overwhelming likely outcome. It's been looking like from the beginning that this setup screams something huge for someone up in the New England area. 

I feel bad for saying this but honestly I can't enjoy 2-4 inches if I know NJ, NYC or Boston is getting 2-3 feet. It's just too bitter. 

It honestly makes me a little sad when I go in the storm thread because I know how desperately everyone wants the big one, and I also think with it looking more and more evident that at least the beginning of February will start mild and possibly stormy/rainy, the pull of desperation is getting pretty intense. 

29 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I typically won’t chase a storm if my yard is in line for any snow at all.  But if the weekend storm is going to have me trying to scratch out an inch while any part of the east coast has blizzard conditions, I might have to reconsider that policy. :bike:

I've always been curious about people who chase. Would you designate a certain amount of days you'd be okay with being stuck wherever you go? 

I ask because I have three days off from work starting on Saturday, and I'm partially considering driving to the coast if it looks much better setup, but if they do get buried, I'd have the concern of being stuck there. 

Can we just impose a 3 post limit per day on everyone who derails threads or picks fights? Enough is enough. We can't go more than 3 pages without some f'ing drama. It's a damn weather forum - not some life altering event in your life. R-E-L-A-X and don't take yourselves so damn seriously. Take a step back and enjoy a nice cup of coffee if you need to. But stop mucking up the forum for all of the people who just want to read a decent thread or analysis. 

Yeah we have our ups and downs - but this is getting absurd the last few days. Get over yourselves - ultimately nothing on this forum is going to make or break things in your life when you wake up tomorrow. Is it really worth bickering and getting your feelings hurt?

Just now, mappy said:

Sounds like everyone should be happy I can't follow this threat as usual. :lol: 

I'm a moderator of a pretty large DC area subreddit...and let me just say lately that has been way more refreshing than watching the drama unfold here. 

Maybe I'm just crankier than usual...but it really does seem people are WAY more testy than in prior years. Everyone needs to go eat their Snickers. 

Sometimes we just need a reality check - my dad's in the hospital with a blood infection. Kind of puts things in perspective (he'll be okay - they caught it in time!).

Honestly maybe the best thing for some of you is to miss out on this storm completely as a reality check (not directed at you @mappy). Sorry...

• mappy unpinned this topic