Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

True.  But when it's like 10 posts in a row strung together, it's pretty aggravating, even if each one is short.  Maybe that's an exaggeration on my part, but I have seen that, several posts one after another.

10 posts in a row + people quoting his posts and piling on with the same sentiments...really makes the threads unreadable. 

And you're right, I shouldn't hope for a total whiff. Maybe just a Leesburg local minimum, then :lol:

51 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That’s a fabulous thing. 

Yeah I guess that's not terrible...albeit that ever elusive WSW may not be met with that...although it would still be nice to look at. Would put me at about 14" for the year...not too bad for a nina--and at least this has FELT like winter. All the same...the longer we go without a big punch, the more I wanna see one. We're due!

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Guys help. I don’t understand why the Webb needs sunscreens if it is always located in the shadow of the earth. What am I missing?

From what I’ve read, the sunshield is meant to keep the actual body of the telescope shielded from the sun so that the lens and other fun stuff can remain super cold, which is necessary for proper performance.

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah and I was wrong. It has the earth between it and the sun but it is not in the shadow of the earth.

I understand the confusion. You make me wonder if at that distance from the earth, the shadow would be really insignificant. Kind of like the shadow of a small bird flying overhead to us.

For comparison, the Webb is about a million miles away while the Hubble is a mere 340.

Just now, weathercoins said:

Coming next month

967A2D76-B5F9-4C5F-8EBA-27EE8A700447.jpeg

By the time the sun angle becomes an issue, our window for good snow (which is typically Jan. 15th-President's day--albeit we stared a bit early this year) has already passed. March means little for the lower elevations, and too much has to go right to get anything meaningful.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I understand the confusion. You make me wonder if at that distance from the earth, the shadow would be really insignificant. Kind of like the shadow of a small bird flying overhead to us.

For comparison, the Webb is about a million miles away while the Hubble is a mere 340.

Yeah I thought about that as well. Even though light doesn’t spread in space, the angles alone would eventually reduce that shadow to nothing.

58 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Sounds like west of 95 should give up all hope...I wonder how many different ways and times we will be told that 

We will win in the long run. When we are basking in a 10” snow at 30° in late February and it’s 35° at sea level, well … bring tissues

• Haha 1

Hello all!

I figured this forum (banter) would be as good as any to put this in. Many have been talking about Miller A vs B. A few years back we did a review of the Miller Cyclone classification system -- based off of James E. Miller's research that was published in the Journal of Meteorology (June 1946). We also applied the classification to some more recent examples (and by recent, I mean the past 10-15  years). As many of you noted, there are many "hybrid" A/B types, but even in those situations, the characteristics are going to be either A or B dominant. 

Not the gospel on the subject by any means, but I thought perhaps it would provide a little more clarity to the topic. 

Or not. :rolleyes:

Miller_Cyclogenesis_Classification_US_Atlantic_Coastal_Region.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• mappy unpinned this topic