SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

And that was locked in about a week out on the guidance 

That was amazing.

And never in this area have blizzard warnings been issued so early.  I remember Wed afternoon seeing it all over the overhead signs on 95/695.   And nothing but perfect flakes for the duration of the event.  No mixing nonsense. 

• Like 2

LOL at NWS Blacksburg forecast discussion...

National Weather Service Blacksburg VA
640 PM EST Sat Jan 22 2022
.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...
As of 300 PM EST Saturday...

A mammoth area of high pressure (near 1040 mb as it crosses
from Canada into the northern Plains), is expected to expand
south and east across the central and eastern CONUS for mid-
week bringing another round of bitter cold. The airmass is
similar to the last one with temperatures of M20-M30 deg C
across the Great Lakes and Ontario and M10 to M20 degrees C into
the Ohio Valley and New England. The mid- Atlantic will once
again have an opportunity to test the single and sub-single
digits (deg F) for overnight lows beginning Wednesday night with
daytime highs failing to climb above freezing. Wednesday and
Thursday appear to be the coldest days with some moderation
toward the weekend. Another complex northern stream and southern
stream shortwave tag-up is possible for Friday...but if past
trends are a reflection, the southern stream feature may once
again get suppressed.

There always seems to be a model member that forecasts a
stormagedon in the long range... so be careful little eyes what
you see. The chicken littles will come out to play. At some
point the outlier will be right, but keep in mind a blind hog
will find an acorn given a little time.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Am I the only one that was disappointed with the January ‘16 blizzard? Havre de Grace got a windswept 18-20” while Bel Air received a 34” solid STACK. The forecast said 24+. I couldn’t help but be sour. I mean damn. 14-16” more over 8-10 miles? No thanks. I was in a relative screwzone. I got shit for complaining about it then, but an inch qpf difference in that short of a distance is substantial.

• Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, RDM said:

The last couple of hours in the LR thread are nearly unreadable.  Yet another example of why some of the former foundational contributors left...  It's so easy to keep banter in banter and not clog up the LR with nonsense.   

Honestly, it's primarily one particular person in there now.  Maybe some find his schtick a bit humorous, but it grows old real quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yoda said:

*Ji* 00z GFS just took away 19 inches of my snow */Ji*

Prescient. You should consider getting a lottery ticket too!

it’s a real shame that putting him on ignore doesn’t actually matter because people keep giving the attention he’s so desperate for. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ll always be amazed by the snowfall rates from LES. It’s insane. 

0qTHGrm.jpg

O2w8mvO.jpg

That. First. Pic. is now gracing my laptop. I got at least three copies. One of these days, before I get perilously too frackin' OLD, I have absolutely GOT to check out a LIVE honest to goodness real-life Lake Effect Snow Event as it is unfolding in all its glory, roll around in the LES while residents of the lake effect areas wonder who in the fook is this crazy, CRAZY old man rollin in the snow in 5 degree temperatures, in the 65 mph wind gusts, in the middle of one of the absofrookinlutely WORST lake effect events of all time! I will then discover all up close and personal, what a real life severe lake effect snow event REALLY IS LIKE! I'll proceed to take about 7,000 digital pics then crash the American Weather Forums server when I manage to upload all the wonderful pics! I might have to show those plows how to dig snow! That damn CENSOR needs to be destroyed! This aint no church!

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bob Chill said:

I'm going into semi retirement here once post HS education is paid for with my next 2. I'll be 56-58 so not ancient. I'm pretty cheap and I work hard AF. I accidently saved enough to call it quits with the rat race as long as cost of living is low. There is no comparison down south. Prop taxes on 30 acres and a 2500sf house are sub $2k. Virginia will have almost no income taxes against us either. Very exciting prospect. 

My back yard already looks like the country. 2 fire pit areas. We grow food all over in raised beds. Fruit being planted this spring. Stone paths in my "lol woods". Giant wood pile I split by hand. If I can do this on a 3rd of an acre, lord help my back with 30 :lol::lol:

Eta: maths for reference. I currently pay over $12k/yr for prop taxes, home insurance, and car insurance. Insane. In Southern VA it will prob be 3k tops. Maybe 4. Just one example. You only need a mountain of money to retire in popular cities. You can live a beautiful life on basically a shoestring just a few hour drive away. 

I know about raised beds and pots and veggies I raised all by myself! Down here in south TX we got a 9-10 month growin' season! This past year, I was eating fresh tomatoes right off the vine on New Years Eve in get this 74/67 conditions while ppl up in the north were freezin' their tarkuses off! My relatives still up in Wisc and Illinois are gettin really tired of me! I'm as bad about the growing in south Texas now as I was about the damn snow when I was 30 years younger!! I realize I am being so heretical saying all this stuff, but I HAVE been down here for three years! It grows on you! Spring down here, it starts in MARCH! By late April we are growing all kinds of veggies! I have had to mow my lawn in February! Not last Feb though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Smh Packers. Absolute catastrophe. Again. 

Give SF credit for going there in that weather and playing a gutty game, but for as good as he is, Rodgers tends to come up small at times when it counts the most. Not a great record in the playoffs esp since winning the Superbowl, which was awhile ago now. 

8 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

As a Vikings fan, I’m reveling in the Packers loss.  Having ex-Bear Gould with the dagger is just icing.

I hope Green Bay kicks Rodgers to the curb ASAP. I'm so sick of his sh*t. Year after year he chokes in the playoffs and **always** blames something else. He has one job, to bring the Lombardi trophy home, but he's wasted years doing anything but that. Add to this his constant lying and bellyaching through the COVID stuff and you have the disaster he is today.

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I hope Green Bay kicks Rodgers to the curb ASAP. I'm so sick of his sh*t. Year after year he chokes in the playoffs and **always** blames something else. He has one job, to bring the Lombardi trophy home, but he's wasted years doing anything but that. Add to this his constant lying and bellyaching through the COVID stuff and you have the disaster he is today.

Checks notes…..GB had a FG blocked and a punt blocked and returned for a TD. Neither of which involved Rodgers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

Checks notes…0 TDs thrown, missed passes. Great players help teams win. Now he can get the same Rodgers rate the rest of us do that aren’t in the playoffs. 

Great players also rely on the other 21 players on the field to deliver and do their part to contribute to a TEAM win. I’m not even a rodgers or packers fan, but to put that loss squarely on his shoulders is just a way to satisfy some need to bash the guy. It’s fair to say their low ranked special teams play had something to do with it.

• mappy unpinned this topic