Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

31 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yes, the "Voldemort" storm ("he who should not be named!").  It perhaps wouldn't have been so badly remembered, but this area even the day before was looking like we'd share in some good snows.  I think there were even watches/warnings out for awhile.

Yeah, I can see how it'd be painful. Even my old backyard in SC got a great snow out of that one, and on Christmas (evening) at that -- my first ever White Christmas. But I probably shouldn't brag. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

Yeah, I can see how it'd be painful. Even my old backyard in SC got a great snow out of that one, and on Christmas (evening) at that -- my first ever White Christmas. But I probably shouldn't brag. ;)

Nahhh, no problem bragging a bit or mentioning that you got Christmas snow in SC!  At this point, "discussing" that storm and calling it the one which "should not be named" is kind of for humor.  At least for me.  Yeah it sucked at the time but it's weather and it's like 10 years ago.  Plus, there are other similar events that "screwed" this area, but that one I suppose is one of the more dramatic examples.  It was the season after we got record-breaking snows so I think a lot of people perhaps had unrealistic expectations still.

Hell, I'm still more "hurt" about Cleveland (my home town) losing TWO World Series, both in Game 7, both extra innings...1997 vs. the Marlins and 2016 vs. the Cubs.  And the Browns loss to Elway and the Broncos to "The Drive" and "The Fumble".  LOL!!  At least they did get the NBA championship in 2016 though!!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mattie g said:

Pretty sure I'm dealing with a kidney stone right now. Pain came on suddenly about 90 minutes ago.

It's f'ing miserable. :lol:

Just catching up in the banter thread and sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully it’s passed. I had some back pain about five years ago and had an X-ray. They called me later and asked which side of my back hurt because I have an 8mm stone on the other side. Well, it was 8mm five years ago. It’s probably bigger than that now. My back pain then was totally unrelated. I guess one day it’ll have to be removed.

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Yeah when I think of model analysis, Randy isn't the first name that comes to mind. BUT, you've been doing this a long time, and you're certainly not Ravens94 or that Snowen guy. I know you're not lying :hug:

Hey, I’m not trying to lie. I just am not that experienced and trying to learn and make observations. No need to be a jerk.

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Hey, I’m not trying to lie. I just am not that experienced and trying to learn and make observations. No need to be a jerk.

Not being a jerk, its just incorrect often in the middle of tracking key moments before an event. Ask @stormtracker, its best to let those who best at analyzing upper air patterns and trends to key on run to run changes close into our potential high impact events. This one being tracked right now is a week out, so its the best time to learn. 

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

He's pretty bad.   But Meh, I can be serious sometimes.  

Alright how can I be a better poster, any resources I can read or something so I can learn and try to understand how the atmospheric maps translate to the surface? That would be a lot more helpful than just saying I’m not a great poster.

23 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Alright how can I be a better poster, any resources I can read or something so I can learn and try to understand how the atmospheric maps translate to the surface? That would be a lot more helpful than just saying I’m not a great poster.

How to be a better poster? Read more, post less. Ask questions. 

47 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Ok, but like text resources like a book or some NOAA pages so I don’t need to interpret posts to learn stuff about phasing and other atmospheric dynamics.

I go back to this page and brush up on stuff:  http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/

There’s a ton of info here but start with the 500 stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Ok, but like text resources like a book or some NOAA pages so I don’t need to interpret posts to learn stuff about phasing and other atmospheric dynamics.

A lot of us have been in the same situation as you. Just read the posts of the mets and vet-trackers on here. @psuhoffman is a top tier non-red-tagger. Google is your best friend - there's countless resources out there on how to read an H5 map and such. There used to be some free classes online as well via MetEd by UCAR (not sure if they still exist). 

Just remember that posting all the time doesn't equate to learning. Sometimes the best approach is absorbing info but stay sidelined. A high post count does not equal a quality poster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

A lot of us have been in the same situation as you. Just read the posts of the mets and vet-trackers on here. @psuhoffman is a top tier non-red-tagger. Google is your best friend - there's countless resources out there on how to read an H5 map and such. There used to be some free classes online as well via MetEd by UCAR (not sure if they still exist). 

Just remember that posting all the time doesn't equate to learning. Sometimes the best approach is absorbing info but stay sidelined. A high post count does not equal a quality poster. 

And before you try to say my post was terse or rude - I am one of the people who was not a very good poster when I joined Eastern back in the mid 2000s. 

I get it - weather excites all of us on here - just look at how I get in the annual severe threads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

And before you try to say my post was terse or rude - I am one of the people who was not a very good poster when I joined Eastern back in the mid 2000s. 

I get it - weather excites all of us on here - just look at how I get in the annual severe threads.

No that post was helpful, I just find it upsetting if it’s a post pointing out I’m not that intelligent when it come to weather with no advice on how to get smarter. I understand that as someone who is pretty young that there are people who have spent more than 50 years caring about weather so it makes sense I have no idea what I am doing but would like it if instead of pointing out the obvious there is an attempt to actually help people like me. 

I know we all have different tastes on what we think is funny but for the life of me why anyone thinks that two letter guy is funny is beyond me. Last night's long range was horrible. 
Yea it was pretty horrible. Luckily the 12z runs ticked 2% more favorably
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I’m going to be honest here…

I know you’re a young chap, but your posts have gotten a lot worse in the last few weeks.

Take that for whatever it’s worth.

Well in the past couple weeks I’ve been back in school, meaning this site is now my main source of entertainment.

2 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

This may be the way my brain works, but I've gotten a lot out of the NWS Glossary. (it says the purpose is to aid the public in understanding NWS products, but it's WAY more than that.) Good for looking up terms you're curious about, or you see mentioned here, or as an endless rabbit hole.

https://w1.weather.gov/glossary/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Welcome to the 18z Hunger Games!  

Icon looks better vs 12z at H5...still looks too broad tho..hard to tell since it stops at 120

1 minute ago, LeesburgWx said:

What do we have to do to sharpen it? Asking the weenie Gods 

I'm just going to leave this here and let the jokes and memes roll in lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SnowenOutThere said:

You’re taking this pretty well. Kudos. Seriously. We rag on newbies and you gets one to get them to make better posts. Hell, most of my lists are steaming piles, but sometimes i can get serious. I know just enough to be dangerous. But you’re open to learning, so I can’t hate on that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• mappy unpinned this topic