• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

Enjoying some very typical winter weather for this part of the country down here in Buda, TX: Light freezing rain and sleet pellets at 32 degrees with a nasty 30 mph northerly wind! Deck is slippery, in fact I damn near fell right on my 8ss! That deck is treacherous! Its hard to believe it was 77/60 only yesterday!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Well...I officially moved into my new place today. Do I stay Leesburg 04 or change to Aldie 22? Anywho....I guess you can blame me for this mornings no show on the snow. I really needed the movers to be able to get in and out. Big snow next week!!

• Like 1

I cant believe Buda Texas is 32/16 right now and Dale City Virginia is 31/16 right now lol. Both locations cloudy, we have some light freezing drizzle, light sleet and even a few graupel-like snow-like pellets thrown in for good measure! I see the sleet on the deck and ice on the deck as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Well...I officially moved into my new place today. Do I stay Leesburg 04 or change to Aldie 22? Anywho....I guess you can blame me for this mornings no show on the snow. I really needed the movers to be able to get in and out. Big snow next week!!

Congrats on your big move! Aldie is way up north in Virginia isn't it? You are gonna see LOTS and LOTS of snow from now on, startin with next week!

40 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I cant believe Buda Texas is 32/16 right now and Dale City Virginia is 31/16 right now lol. Both locations cloudy, we have some light freezing drizzle, light sleet and even a few graupel-like snow-like pellets thrown in for good measure! I see the sleet on the deck and ice on the deck as well.

I was in Austin during Thanksgiving and also made it out to the hills one afternoon to go to some wineries. Very warm when I arrived, low 80s. There were one or two unseasonally cool days — cool for them for November (chilly breeze, daytime 50s) — and more than just a few of the locals were running around in shorts and tee shirts. 

12 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Snowshoe people @Potvinsux @jonjon and others: is April a bad time to visit? Looking for a small spring break trip somewhere with the family. Guessing it might be a lot of 40-50F clouds and wind? 

Are you looking to ski or just get away? Snowshoe has stayed open till April some years but usually only till April 1.  There is always a chance they stay open later but most seasonal employees leave by then so it's hard to keep things open.

April and May are the shutdown months and it's a ghost town.  Not much is opened at all.  These are the times where they transition from ski to bike, maintenance, clean up, etc

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It’s super sporadic - I’ll break through randomly but other times I feel like I get logged out in the middle of changing what model I’m looking at. Frustrating. Might shoot them an email.

I'm not getting logged out I'm just nor being able to advance pages 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Snowshoe people @Potvinsux @jonjon and others: is April a bad time to visit? Looking for a small spring break trip somewhere with the family. Guessing it might be a lot of 40-50F clouds and wind? 

15 hours ago, nj2va said:

Spring is by far my least favorite season in the mountains…chilly/rainy/etc.  I would assume Snowshoe is similar to Deep Creek — 40s…drizzly…cloudy.  

We rented on DCL in mid-late April last year.  The interesting part was going from bursting vegetation in DC to not much of anything in the mountains.  So, it is a bit drab, but we still filled up the time with hikes and fire pits.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

image.png.2dadb3c90cbf01d2d729f30a23589982.png

Serious question -- anybody seen Bird Box, the movie? I bought the book upon which the movie is based a few months ago (based on several recommendations) but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I was curious to know if the movie adaptation was any good.

Another sidebar -- currently reading The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, the basis of the hit show on FX from the mid 2010s. Anyway, the book is good, been a real page-turner. I saw only one episode of the TV adaptation while flipping channels several years ago and it was....unsettling, to say the least. Del Toro is one of my favorite film directors, though his project choices are definitely unorthodox.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic