Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

13 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm telling ya, the Cowboys...I think they just invented yet another way to lose in the playoffs! Like how dude? Lol This is one of the few times I actually feel a tad sorry for their fans...Cowboys had all the "moments" ya think lead to a win...and then the Cowboys happen, lol

As an unfortunate WFT fan, I was talking with the wife while watching that game and said how I think I actually like watching the cowboys lose more than watching a WFT win lol. Especially when they seemingly go 12-5, 11-5, 13-3 only to lose in the first round lol so satisfying!

Mr. J and Miss J got home this morning around 2. They are tired but the flight in while bumpy at landing time and his RWD with cleared roads brought them home. 

The kid loved Seattle U and has moved it tied with American. She is still waiting to hear from American. So soon we will have to have a round table and spread out all her offers and have her make a decision. 

• Like 8

I've been suspecting it but now I'm growing convinced Dak doesn't have the hardwired mental wherewithal to win in a pressure cooker. There are a lot of cases of VERY capable QBs who simply brain fart when it matters most. Cousins is like that. I thought it might just be living in redskin hell but MN didn't fix it. I can go on and on with examples. Complete opposite of the laser focused gunslingers like Rodgers or Brady or (insert many great names) who can back into the playoffs and take over and carry entire teams. 

What does this mean? It means I'm a big Dak fan because as long as he's in charge, cowboys ain't going too far when it matters most. 

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, MN Transplant said:

.  But one thing seems to bother me more than all the rest - the internet situation.  I don't know what the future holds for Starlink or other satellite providers, but the lack of good broadband in many places that do have available land is just a killer.  Hopefully you can find a good spot!

I missed this yesterday and it is a very serious concern and the #1 reason I've been skeptical of getting a property off the info highway. I've done a lot of homework about the future of broadband. For what I do, I have to have a minimum 500mbs connection and it HAS to be stable. I won't go into the long story but I am now very confident my minimum requirements will be attainable everywhere I want to go within 6-8 years tops.

I'd move early with the prospect of a stable connection being a near guaranty. Times a changin. We can thank covid and the work from surge for putting the iron in the fire for complete high speed connectivity anywhere. I'd be willing to pony up the cash for hard connection but have no fear of what's coming up in the airwaves 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

14 penalties will kill any team in the playoffs

But damn, that ending was hilarious.

And then McCarthy defended the call. Ridiculous. If you wanted it closer then you throw a quickie to the sidelines to get that yardage. They were giving them that. You cannot run the ball with 24 seconds and no timeouts

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

And then McCarthy defended the call. Ridiculous. If you wanted it closer then you throw a quickie to the sidelines to get that yardage. They were giving them that. You cannot run the ball with 24 seconds and no timeouts

You can with 24 seconds. The problem was they were only 14 seconds left.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I missed this yesterday and it is a very serious concern and the #1 reason I've been skeptical of getting a property off the info highway. I've done a lot of homework about the future of broadband. For what I do, I have to have a minimum 500mbs connection and it HAS to be stable. I won't go into the long story but I am now very confident my minimum requirements will be attainable everywhere I want to go within 6-8 years tops.

I'd move early with the prospect of a stable connection being a near guaranty. Times a changin. We can thank covid and the work from surge for putting the iron in the fire for complete high speed connectivity anywhere. I'd be willing to pony up the cash for hard connection but have no fear of what's coming up in the airwaves 

Yes - you are right.  Received a very informative briefing recently from a large data provider (not appropriate to say who).    The ongoing expansion of 5G and the looming deployment of C-band and UWB (Ultra Wide Band) is going to bring massive increases in data rates; especially in more remote locations that are currently band-width limited.  

Integrated in that growth will be MEC (Mobile Edge Computing) alternatives that are also currently very limited.  The corresponding data explosion of connectivity options is going to be incredible to watch. 

Anyone else just have random moments where you think about that week in February 2010 and just how unprecedented it was and how it's something we will almost certainly never experience again in our lifetime? 

There are so many things I'd trade off in order to experience that week again. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Anyone else just have random moments where you think about that week in February 2010 and just how unprecedented it was and how it's something we will almost certainly never experience again in our lifetime? 

There are so many things I'd trade off in order to experience that week again. 

I always root for a big dog no matter but when it comes to dreaming about repeat periods I think more about years like JFM 03 & 14. 96 had a similar period but I wasn't here for that one. I adored the 2010 storms for sure. But deep winter was quick to come and go. The Jan 87 back to back storms didn't have nearly the depth of Feb 2010 but the deep winter that followed was next level. Roads (even main ones) had snow stuck on them for longer than I remember at any other time here.

My weeniesm is multi-faceted. I get off on extended deep winter conditions, bay freezes, devastating ice storms, massive water main explosions, kids stuck to flagpoles, and fun winter stuff like that. My weenie is complex 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I always root for a big dog no matter but when it comes to dreaming about repeat periods I think more about years like JFM 03 & 14. 96 had a similar period but I wasn't here for that one. I adored the 2010 storms for sure. But deep winter was quick to come and go. The Jan 87 back to back storms didn't have nearly the depth of Feb 2010 but the deep winter that followed was next level. Roads (even main ones) had snow stuck on them for longer than I remember at any other time here.

My weeniesm is multi-faceted. I get off on extended deep winter conditions, bay freezes, devastating ice storms, massive water main explosions, kids stuck to flagpoles, and fun winter stuff like that. My weenie is complex 

Complex weenies...oh, my!!

Anyhow, I agree with you on your overall interpretation.  Each "good" season had something about it, and it's not always easy to say which one is best out of that.  2009-10 is special for obvious reasons, and breaking seasonal snowfall records at the 3 area airports.  The 12 day period from Jan. 30-Feb. 10 was the most remarkable stretch of winter I've seen in terms of snow, and I say that as someone who grew up in northeast OH.  2014 is known for its wall-to-wall events, none of them true blockbusters but a ton of moderate ones.  2015...nothing, then suddenly deep winter for like 5 weeks and good snow to go along with it.  2002-03...nice event in December, a cold January with a nice event (clipper, I think?), then of course PD-II in February!  And of course 2016...the January blizzard...some say that year was "meh" and maybe overall it kind of was, but hell you can't look past the one HUGE event all the same!

• Like 1

Oh absolutely. I've always kind of felt in the minority in here but I love if it gets just frigid for an extended period with no significant warm ups. I don't even need snow to be satisfied during a stretch like that. Give me some days that stay below 20 and I can go hike, check out frozen bodies of water. I'm all about it. 

Just when thinking about big snows, getting two 18+ inch storms within 5 days of each other around here is just mind blowing to this day for me. 

Bob...do you consider that Feb. 14, 2015 snow squall one of the better "small events" we've had in this area?  I believe you got about the same amount as I did here a bit farther down here in MoCo, ~2.0" wind-whipped snow!  I know that it was more area specific, some people didn't get much out of it.  But wow, that Arctic front band ushered in some bitter cold air right after, and of course that was the start of the next several weeks of great winter weather!

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Bob...do you consider that Feb. 14, 2015 snow squall one of the better "small events" we've had in this area?  I believe you got about the same amount as I did here a bit farther down here in MoCo, ~2.0" wind-whipped snow!  I know that it was more area specific, some people didn't get much out of it.  But wow, that Arctic front band ushered in some bitter cold air right after, and of course that was the start of the next several weeks of great winter weather!

I got 3.5" out of that during my son's birthday party.  Was expecting a dusting and got ice cold wind-whipped powder.  

• Like 1

This may be my third post in more than 20 years of lurking this site (and the other earlier iterations of it) and I still can't get a handle on all the vitriol that people post about the weather.  Especially when it comes to snow.  Mother Nature is going to do what it does. I'll take what I get and am happy with it.  I wish there was a gambling site called "Weather Kings" or something like it so all the posters that are doom and gloom or others like DT that always seem to be bullish put their money where their mouth is.  I have no problem with posters making predictions on their "knowledge" of the maps but put up or shut up.  I appreciate all the Red taggers and some of the long time members like Bob Chill for teaching me much about the weather here.  Ive lived in DC proper since 92 and have seen some incredible storms. I hope to see another soon.  Good luck to the snow lovers and thanks to all of the knowledgable posters over the years!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Feb 14, 2015 is an all-time event for me. Top ten imby easy.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic