Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

NOW I KNOW why the heck it is so darn COLD here in south central Texas:

CROSS.  POLAR.  FLOW. THAT, is why we are getting massive cold front after massive cold front, and it is why the Gulf of Mexico is not rescuing us with warm mild southeasterlies as it usually does. The Gulf is why I can grow orange and lemon trees down here. Its the reason I can enjoy fresh tomatoes off my vines in late December, like I did a couple weeks ago!

It is also the reason The Mid Atlantic may end up with a truly historic Big Dog this month. You have Siberian-sourced cold air. You get that STJ, which you will get and phasing, among so many other factors which pros like Bob Chill know like the back of their hand which is what spells major snow and cold winter for the entire sub. Maybe not this particular storm in the metros, but this pattern will evolve, needs to mature a little bit. Once it does, the entire Washington Metropolitan Region had better look out! Stock up on foods, craft beers, Jebman Shovels, snowblowers for the old men lmao! Stock up on firewood too! This could be historic, the rest of this month and possibly into early Feb! 

Just for fun. Some long times here know my wife and I are getting out of Rockville in the next 5 years or so. We've been looking at many many options in all directions. Ji prob remembers Kerr Lake and Gaston talk from a year or 2 ago. That has evolved and we're focus exclusively on the entire general area around Smith Mountain Lake. Leesville Lake too. Possibly the other side of the blue ridge near 81 but that's prob going to be it. Looking at 30 acres or so with a semi-self sufficient "compound". So not leaving the area entirely, probably.

Quite a mental journey figuring out this move. Far far far more options than when we bought our Rockville house. And I'm very very thankful for Rockville real estate. Allows us to "downsize" considerably and still get everything reasonable we want. Just need to live long enough now...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Just for fun. Some long times here know my wife and I are getting out of Rockville in the next 5 years or so. We've been looking at many many options in all directions. Ji prob remembers Kerr Lake and Gaston talk from a year or 2 ago. That has evolved and we're focus exclusively on the entire general area around Smith Mountain Lake. Leesville Lake too. Possibly the other side of the blue ridge near 81 but that's prob going to be it. Looking at 30 acres or so with a semi-self sufficient "compound". So not leaving the area entirely, probably.

Quite a mental journey figuring out this move. Far far far more options than when we bought our Rockville house. And I'm very very thankful for Rockville real estate. Allows us to "downsize" considerably and still get everything reasonable we want. Just need to live long enough now...

My wife grew up on a 200 acre campground (her parents maintained the place for church camps, yes, they were quite poor).  She has always wanted to own some land and have a place to retreat to and potentially retire to.  I totally get it, and I could have a blast wandering around a big property and doing all sorts of projects.  However, I am a suburban kid and that's where I have always been comfortable.  I just can't wrap my head around being long distances from major hospitals, not having a ton of grocery and shopping options nearby, and the other things that come with rural living.  But one thing seems to bother me more than all the rest - the internet situation.  I don't know what the future holds for Starlink or other satellite providers, but the lack of good broadband in many places that do have available land is just a killer.  Hopefully you can find a good spot!

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Good luck man, i have my roadmap laid out for my retirement years....it's sorta surreal thinking about it but hey....I just don't look in the mirror anymore so mentally i feel like i'm 12 or 13 years old. :)

Life is short.  Crafting your future to be where you want to be in your later years is so important.

We're closing on a place in West Ocean City on Friday (hoping to see some snow there next weekend), with the plans of splitting time between the mountains and beach after we become empty nesters in just over four years.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Good luck man, i have my roadmap laid out for my retirement years....it's sorta surreal thinking about it but hey....I just don't look in the mirror anymore so mentally i feel like i'm 12 or 13 years old. :)

I'm going into semi retirement here once post HS education is paid for with my next 2. I'll be 56-58 so not ancient. I'm pretty cheap and I work hard AF. I accidently saved enough to call it quits with the rat race as long as cost of living is low. There is no comparison down south. Prop taxes on 30 acres and a 2500sf house are sub $2k. Virginia will have almost no income taxes against us either. Very exciting prospect. 

My back yard already looks like the country. 2 fire pit areas. We grow food all over in raised beds. Fruit being planted this spring. Stone paths in my "lol woods". Giant wood pile I split by hand. If I can do this on a 3rd of an acre, lord help my back with 30 :lol::lol:

Eta: maths for reference. I currently pay over $12k/yr for prop taxes, home insurance, and car insurance. Insane. In Southern VA it will prob be 3k tops. Maybe 4. Just one example. You only need a mountain of money to retire in popular cities. You can live a beautiful life on basically a shoestring just a few hour drive away. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

My wife grew up on a 200 acre campground (her parents maintained the place for church camps, yes, they were quite poor).  She has always wanted to own some land and have a place to retreat to and potentially retire to.  I totally get it, and I could have a blast wandering around a big property and doing all sorts of projects.  However, I am a suburban kid and that's where I have always been comfortable.  I just can't wrap my head around being long distances from major hospitals, not having a ton of grocery and shopping options nearby, and the other things that come with rural living.  But one thing seems to bother me more than all the rest - the internet situation.  I don't know what the future holds for Starlink or other satellite providers, but the lack of good broadband in many places that do have available land is just a killer.  Hopefully you can find a good spot!

I think I'm older than you (50+)? When I was in the rockies in the 90s, I couldn't shake the "missing something" feeling of being out there like that. It actually drew me back here in 99. I was a hard core work hard play hard suburbanite until my mid 40s. It all changed. Everything became crystal clear. For me to be ultimately satisfied, I HAVE to be surrounded by big nature, views, and peace. It's how I'm wired. Once I finally accepted that as my "design", I completely stopped caring about the rat race and material world. I was trained to be really good at it and I'm thankful AF for that, but my heart and soul are elsewhere for sure. Same with my wife. Identical goals right now. Strange after 20+ years of marriage :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It was a peaceful sunrise here with a low of 2° and WC below zero. Take life as it comes, folks. The beauty of life is accessible even in the challenging times. 

Omg dude! Memory lane... my mom was an Italian immigrant just after WW2 in west Hartford. My grandfather didn't speak English and was a true (and self proclaimed) WOP. Here's where you may gross out a bit.... my grandfather used to take me fishing on the CT River literally 5 miles from that picture. We would catch big fat catfish and big slimy eels. My grandfather kept and ate everything.... out of the CT River in the 70s.... when the water had luminescence from pollution (kidding... barely) lolol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

and we’re in the Keys scouting out neighborhoods across the Keys in prep for our house hunt. my husband can probably go 100% remote next year so we’ll leave the cold and dreary behind. 

Good luck on your hunt!  Half of the fun is the searching and dreaming.  We all have to keep that in our lives, even after we reach what we were once searching and dreaming of.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

and we’re in the Keys scouting out neighborhoods across the Keys in prep for our house hunt. my husband can probably go 100% remote next year so we’ll leave the cold and dreary behind. 

Hey Trix! Suggestions for spots in the Keys;

My wife and I love the Marathon area, preferably up near Duck Key on the north end of town. On the opposite side of the 7 Mile, Big Pine is always a nice spot, but Cudjoe Key is very pretty a little further down. Boca Chica near KEY is home to lots of people that work near the Naval Base there, but it can get super pricey due to proxy of Key West. Summerland Key is low key beautiful, but houses are smaller. I would go for a place like Marathon myself since the infrastructure is more built up. 

I will say the internet in the Keys is very hit or miss. AT&T has a monopoly down there basically, and they suck from what I heard. Didn't know if that would make a huge influence or not. Either way, that's one of my wife and I's potential landing spots for the NWS. Key West office is in my top 5 for now. Good private schools down near Key West, which is helpful if we have kids. 

Enjoy the time down there btw! Have a Hurricane for me on Duval ^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxtrix said:

meanwhile at the extreme southern edge of this system it’s 75 and the wind is steady at 25 and gusting to 38. there is a squall line that has already spawned 3 tornadoes in Tampa headed this way.

Confirmed tornado in Ft Meyers. Went through an RV park. Also one crossed 75 around mm 96 and flipped a semi. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

Life is short.  Crafting your future to be where you want to be in your later years is so important.

We're closing on a place in West Ocean City on Friday (hoping to see some snow there next weekend), with the plans of splitting time between the mountains and beach after we become empty nesters in just over four years.

With the older Miss J off to college next year, and the second one only 2 years behind we are seriously thinking of downsizing. Will have to stay close enough to Mr J’s work for the time being. Unless they let people stay remote. Have even toyed with the idea of a condo in DC to get some city life. 

Here is some early storm baking to enjoy though. Apple banana GF muffins. E676ADA1-8DFC-4D75-B53D-56BC50EFDF4A.thumb.jpeg.3a6203111242fa252bddc7b8afa0c0ff.jpeg

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Confirmed tornado in Ft Meyers. Went through an RV park. Also one crossed 75 around mm 96 and flipped a semi. 

With the older Miss J off to college next year, and the second one only 2 years behind we are seriously thinking of downsizing. Will have to stay close enough to Mr J’s work for the time being. Unless they let people stay remote. Have even toyed with the idea of a condo in DC to get some city life. 

Here is some early storm baking to enjoy though. Apple banana GF muffins. E676ADA1-8DFC-4D75-B53D-56BC50EFDF4A.thumb.jpeg.3a6203111242fa252bddc7b8afa0c0ff.jpeg

I would walk in knee deep snow with nothing on but a bathing suit and tank top while dragging a cinder block just to have half of one of those muffins. My goodness :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Congrats Cincy 

I will take it, thanks! Just got back from the game - drove and stopped in west Va on way back last night because I am too old to drive through the night anymore. I was 20 last time they won…slightly older now lol. Glad I was there for it. Absolute bedlam and lots of tears. Sports are weird and wonderful sometimes.

• Like 3

• mappy unpinned this topic