Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

3 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

I'll blame this post on @stormtracker's post in the MLK Storm thread, but am I the only person around here who hasn't seen the movie Titanic?  I had no interest in seeing it when came out and it didn't take long to flesh out the ship-is-going-to-sink ending with she's engaged, she cheats, nudity is involved, he drowns, her heart goes on.  Oh, and Celine Dion was on the radio singing about it every hour for months on end.

Skip it, unless you are into (doomed) love stories.

Watch Das Boot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok I am just going to come clean. I am the one responsible for the shift on this system.

41025D38-CC71-4493-92C2-4ECAFC3EBC8C.gif.10c93d0fba5344ba60ef1537fad15a10.gif

I have personal reasons as you all know. I hope all the :weenie:‘s don’t blackball me here. 

Here is an offering of one of my homemade dinners to make up for it. 

95DADB25-8628-4615-897A-ACD60F92E39D.thumb.jpeg.7d124dfe14d4a7e60b99acb24224ba66.jpeg

Wait it was you? Ohh so THAT'S why the storm column got stacked up like one of your baked goods! :lol:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Oh great, Titanic references. Fits the mood perfectly around here! 

giphy.webp?cid=82a1493birpjepro9onwzvhs0

Just like the band...   On some of our chases here nobody wants to stop playing.  Even when all the cards are on the table and it's self-evident the ship is sinking and already half sunk, the band keeps playing right to the very end.  

It's that glimmer of eternal hope that something may change, and the steadfast dedication to each other and a common skill/profession/hobby/curse we know as weather; the band continues to play on...  

Even when everyone agrees it's time to finish, the end is imminent and they attempt to disband, one hardy sole starts playing again and brings the group back together for one last encore. 

• Like 1

I play organ.  Not much use on a steamship of the time.  Today, however we have keyboards.  Heck I even can plug my iPad into a PA and fire up my Moog 15! :D  

I'm sure the Covid cruises could use a bit of cheering up.  Particularly Norwegian Gem, she left St Martin yesterday and is supposed to arrive in NYC on Jan 18th.  Looking at those WWIII maps I'd say they have a LOT of weather to get through.  Hopefully nothing like Norwegian Dawn on April 16, 2005.  Open bar or not it's tough even to those of us with years of seasoned sea legs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Just have to lol. This is where the actual snowstorm ended up. 
2D9B06C0-DDD8-47C5-9072-A87E7C78CB88.thumb.jpeg.0d1a040d2e6b44c5e631db1bb40efd7b.jpeg

I think I mentioned 12/16/20 as having stark similarities, but this really reminded me of the 2016 President's Day storm

20160215.thumb.png.40b097af3289e7b1961de8b102e79afc.png

I'll do my best to find sfc/upper level maps from that storm, but it was a similar situation. On Feb 14th it was 25/13 at DCA! We hardly can even manage that high temp for a low nowadays. It didn't matter though, as the track and screaming SE winds eroded what little cold remained, all the way up to upstate NY. Temps spiked to 53 at DCA on the 16th. As for that random small snow max south of DCA, I don't fully remember. One thing I've noticed about these WAA dependent events is that they tend to max on an unsuspecting area, depending on the onset of precip. Whatever max this produces will likely be oriented to the west and be wayyy different, but it's an interesting anecdote, these events tend to be full of surprises. 

1 hour ago, fourseasons said:

I'll blame this post on @stormtracker's post in the MLK Storm thread, but am I the only person around here who hasn't seen the movie Titanic?  I had no interest in seeing it when came out and it didn't take long to flesh out the ship-is-going-to-sink ending with she's engaged, she cheats, nudity is involved, loverboy drowns, her heart goes on.  Oh, and Celine Dion was on the radio singing about it every hour for months on end.

What a crappy movie! Younger Miss J had a friend over awhile back and she was like we are watching Titanic because my parents told me not to watch it as it was bad. So like any kid who knows their parents don't know the best stuff around, they proceeded to watch it.

Asked them after how did they like it. Both said they turned it off 30 min in and that we were right it was a crap movie! Told them we saved them 3 hrs of their day tipping them off.  

11 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Anyone have a spare traffic cone handy?

As a former HS Sax player this was funny!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Skip it, unless you are into (doomed) love stories.

Watch Das Boot.

The mention of Das Boot reminds me of crossing a street in DC a bunch of years ago.  I had two tourists next to me and there was a gentleman on the other side of them.  They were looking at him with curiosity.

The walk sign showed up and off he went, followed by the three of us, and the following happened:

Tourist #1:  Is he who I think it is?

Tourist #2:  It is!  It's the guy from Hunt for Red October!

Me:  Yes, that's Senator Fred Thompson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

Jeb - Kenai peninsula winter ‘20 a month before the pandemic shut things down. The snow was deep that day. Lol.

C8F01ABF-A172-4A8D-8FA9-B6D9053EE717.thumb.jpeg.ca2d25ce3f4efcf46fea11a1d8445654.jpeg

Looks great!  Reminds me of a skin resort in Japan on Honshu (the big island) called Zao.  Zao is famous for its "snow monsters", which are the top few snow encrusted feet of pine trees sticking out of the snow base.  The wind whips the encrusted tops into all sorts of forms that resemble a variety characters.  It's a stark reminder your standing on top of 60-80 feet of snow, or more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

Talked to the realtor, I'm setting up to look at that property next week if conditions allow. The G Wagon is getting serviced so I'd have to drive my old WRX and am not sure how good the roads are.  

Awesome, man.  Keep me posted.  They do a great job with snow cleanup here — they may still be snow covered in spots but traction is good.  WRX is AWD right?

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Awesome, man.  Keep me posted.  They do a great job with snow cleanup here — they may still be snow covered in spots but traction is good.  WRX is AWD right?

Yeah it's basically 4wd and I recently got new tires mounted on it, it'll handle anything as long as the snow doesn't reach the undercarriage. 

Original owner, first year they brought it to the states and it hit 20yo this year.  Lol it feels like an old Cadillac now compared to the NSX. 

Honestly the NSX would be epic in snow with the traction control,  AWD and three independent electric motors if not for the ground clearance issue.  

Irony...

There were people that couldn't believe we'd have snow and temps falling into the 20s during the day on Monday, Jan 3, with highs in the 60s the previous day.

And yet here we are today, temps in the mid 20s, dewpoints 0 to -6F, and yet we could be looking at plain rain in a little over 24 hours.

Just goes to show how it all comes down to the storm track (dictated by upper levels) and where the winds are blowing in from.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

What a crappy movie! Younger Miss J had a friend over awhile back and she was like we are watching Titanic because my parents told me not to watch it as it was bad. So like any kid who knows their parents don't know the best stuff around, they proceeded to watch it.

Asked them after how did they like it. Both said they turned it off 30 min in and that we were right it was a crap movie! Told them we saved them 3 hrs of their day tipping them off.  

As a former HS Sax player this was funny!!

LOL. With regard to Titanic -- I think some (e.g., your age on up to my generation) will still enjoy it, and many younger than that will simply roll their eyes at it. And yeah, it's admittedly pretty soapy.

But I'll tell you this...back sometime in the springtime of 1998, right before the movie was leaving the theaters for good, I finally broke down and went to see it on the big screen at a matinee by myself. My wife had no desire to see it, and I was probably one of the LAST humans to see it in a theater, as I think there were only five us in attendance at the showing.

My lasting impressions from my first/only theatrical viewing of Titanic:

• The special effects were incredible...and I was horrified. Yes, I read and knew all of the personal stories of tragedy on Titanic since I was a kid, read and heard about all of the ways that she ship hit the iceberg and started to sink (even some of the competing theories that it broke in half BEFORE sinking for good), but seeing all of it portrayed pretty damn realistically onscreen? Again, horrifying.
  • Kate Winslet = good. Leo DiCaprio = UGH.
  • Billy Zane was definitely chewing up the scenery in Titanic, but I nonetheless feel he was excellent as antagonist Cal. I've always felt like Billy Zane is a very underrated actor. I highly recommend everyone (at least those with whom I enter into a convo on Billy Zane, which is rare) to watch a 1989 film called "Dead Calm," a thriller starring him, Sam Neill (of Jurassic Park fame) and a then-somewhat-unknown Nicole Kidman. One of the best thrillers I've seen in my entire life.
  • So many GREAT secondary players/cast in Titanic....but it all gets lost in the vortex of the whole Kate/Leo thing.
  • Music = SO GOOD. James Horner is...actually WAS, sadly, since he passed away in a plane crash a few years ago...a phenomenal theatrical composer. Yes, Celine had HER big star turn and incredible charts/sales by warbling HER version of HIS theme with sappy lyrics, but Horner's music was spot-on and moving, especially for Titanic.

For these reasons and many more, I purchased the Blu-ray of Titanic years ago, pop it in to watch at least a couple times a year, and will always stop and watch if I see it on a live viewing on the air. It's still entertaining....and yes, still (to me) horrifying.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic