Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I'd happily take four weeks of 110 weather in August and no rain and I got to work out in it til I get sick - 28 days in a row - absolutely puking sick - IF DC can have this storm track 50 miles east then demolish them with 17 inches of Parrs Ridge pow. Damn I want you guys to get smashed by torrential blinding snow with three inch aggregates so damn bad with this, I can taste it!

I crave DC getting absolutely fooking DESTROYED by heavy heavy snow! Get them right under the deform for three solid days! No fookin mercy! Get those northeasterlies blowin hard, pile up crazy drifts!

You are invariably so kind.  If moral support counted we would have exceeded climo a long time ago.  You're eternal optimism is most noble.   

As for the heat - I can relate.  Lived in New Delhi for 3 years in the early 90's when I was much younger and skinny (skinny = better heat dissipation!).  

Had 6 months of reasonably nice weather except for the SMIT in the winter (that's a combo of Fog and Sh*t because they burn it for fuel). The other 6 months hovered between 110 and 120+, with humidity the pushed the heat index wayyyy off the scale.  It was beyond brutal.  Made us wonder why in the annals of the migration of homo sapiens why they ever STOPPED in such an inhospitable place and didn't keep going for a better environment?  

2 minutes ago, RDM said:

You are invariably so kind.  If moral support counted we would have exceeded climo a long time ago.  You're eternal optimism is most noble.   

As for the heat - I can relate.  Lived in New Delhi for 3 years in the early 90's when I was much younger and skinny (skinny = better heat dissipation!).  

Had 6 months of reasonably nice weather except for the SMIT in the winter (that's a combo of Fog and Sh*t because they burn it for fuel). The other 6 months hovered between 110 and 120+, with humidity the pushed the heat index wayyyy off the scale.  It was beyond brutal.  Made us wonder why in the annals of the migration of homo sapiens why they ever STOPPED in such an inhospitable place and didn't keep going for a better environment?  

India has pretty high dewpoints. I enjoy summer some, bit I sure dont want to live there, lol

28 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Sue Palka is going to quit doing the weather on Fox5 DC, but will stick around to do other stuff:

https://wtop.com/local/2022/01/fox-5-meteorologist-sue-palka-announces-retirement/

I generally don't "like" on-air mets. But I have to be honest...I've lived in this area for over 30 years, and it seems like Sue Palka has been a "measured voice" most of the time, at least in terms of the on-air personalities, and she's been the only one that I've tuned into time and again on TV. This makes me genuinely...a little sad.

12 minutes ago, RDM said:

Sad thing the MLK thread has turned into.  Wayyyy too many posters adding nothing of substance who should be reading more and not posting any.  Agree with the comments from many about why some of the more valuable contributors have disappeared.  It's exhausting to try to read the worthwhile comments from all the noise.  Realize we're not in storm-mode, but geeze....  

I would that everything has really been said weather wise for the storm now it’s just waiting to see how things trend. So why not fill the void with memes?

7 minutes ago, Jebman said:

India has pretty high dewpoints. I enjoy summer some, bit I sure dont want to live there, lol

Indeed on the humidity.  Starting in April each year the heat builds day by day.  By May/June it's in the 115-120+ range.  Then in June the humidity would build up as well as a precursor for the onset of Monsoon season.  The Delhi Times actually had a "Monsoon Watch" section that mapped the progression of the monsoon up the sub-continent.  The Indian agriculture economy depends on it, even though thousands die from the flooding every year.   

When monsoon hit, the temps would drop to "only" the 110-115 range, with humidity in the 70% + range.  The resultant heat index was wayyy off the charts.  It was brutal and 3 showers a day were the norm.  

During the April to June dry spell many of the houses rented by the embassy off the compound would go weeks without getting a drop from the city.  As a result, the embassy had 32 wells on the embassy compound and three 1500 gallon trucks that delivered water to off-compound housing 12 hours a day.  Most houses had an underground cistern in the back yard to store and cool the water.  The cistern at my home was about 8 feet deep and 8 feet long and 5 feet wide.  

All houses had roof top storage tanks that were fully exposed to the sun and full of water that would burn under ambient temperatures.  During much of the year, the first thing you have to do in the morning is turn on the cold water in the shower to drain enough hot water from the roof top tank to prompt the pump in the cistern to pump cold water into the roof tank to cool the water enough to be able to stand taking a shower.  It was entertaining at first, but got real old very fast.  

All of this in a country with 3 times the population of the US in an area about the same as the US east of the Mississippi.   It reinforced how lucky we are in the USA and what we take for granted here.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many times I have traveled to Charles Town from Dale City in wintry weather. Dale City would be sleety, maybe a little rain, then I'd proceed along Rt 28 NW'ward, more sleet, some snow near where Rt 28 just merges with Rt 7. Then by the time I got to the Skyway, that's what I called that bridge, once I cleared that, it was sleet snow then you hit the major elevation change. That's where it changed, to all light snow. Hit Rt 9, enter Clueless's 'hood, Paeonian Springs where the light snow becomes steadier and heavier. This is where things get really fun, because Hillsboro, that's a low hill, you cross that place and often mixes change to snow, or light snow becomes a little bit heavier. Then you hit the West Virginia state line. You know the Appalachian Trail runs thru there? You go west young man, and the snow  gets heavier. It's just something about Wild, Wonderful West Virginia! That place can be one heck of a winter wonderland! They got some nice hotels, and why not? Why not win BIG while you enjoy the deep snow?!

You want snow? Go to Charles Town. It wont let you down. West Virginians don't know how to fail. That place gets a LOT of snow!

One of the funniest things for me on DTs maps is the fact that most people can't locate where they live on the map and many can't even locate their county. It's the same on here which is sad. Learn your geography folks...bare minimum where you live.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I generally don't "like" on-air mets. But I have to be honest...I've lived in this area for over 30 years, and it seems like Sue Palka has been a "measured voice" most of the time, at least in terms of the on-air personalities, and she's been the only one that I've tuned into time and again on TV. This makes me genuinely...a little sad.

Sue is wonderful. I had the opportunity to intern with her for a summer while in college. That internship put me on my path of cartography and GIS as I got to make the graphics for her that went into her weather hits. I was terrible on the green screen lol. She was a joy to be around, knew her weather stuff and you could tell she was very comfortable in her role. I haven’t been able to watch on tv for years since I’m not in the DC tv market. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

One of the funniest things for me on DTs maps is the fact that most people can't locate where they live on the map and many can't even locate their county. It's the same on here which is sad. Learn your geography folks...bare minimum where you live.

So Mr J and I used to watch Amazing Race for the travel. But stopped watching when the couples would be arguing over the fact that even though on a show with travel could not read a map to save their lives. That and the fact that if you are doing overseas travel understand that you should at least have one person who knows how to drive a manual transmission. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

Dewpoints in Dubai (and surrounding areas) can get up into the 90s.

Highest I've experienced personally was 87F.  If you had to do much more than walk in those conditions it feels like it would kill you.  Seriously.

Coming outside from a cool airconditioned space everything on you immediately gets wet.  Skin feels clammy.  It's beyond disgusting.

59 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Everybody is clearly tired of tracking this storm lol. 2.5 new pages overnight.

38 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It never changes. There are not wild model swings to discuss. Every time, every run, same outcome.

Everyone wants better modeling.  The weenies did not understand the repercussions!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

It never changes. There are not wild model swings to discuss. Every time, every run, same outcome.

22 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Everyone wants better modeling.  The weenies did not understand the repercussions!

I kind of think it's not worth paying really much attention at all until tomorrow's 12z runs when we'll be within 3k NAM range and between it and the Euro, we can probably get some good fidelity on the changing thermal profile Sunday afternoon/evening.  Otherwise, things seemed pretty locked in place.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

I think everyone finally understood that, no matter the small (or maybe even relatively significant) upper-air changes from run to run in the last 60+ hours, the end result wasn’t going to significantly change for the better for most in this forum. No reason to parse early details when they’re not going to make a lick of difference in the end.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I kind of think it's not worth paying really much attention at all until tomorrow's 12z runs when we'll be within 3k NAM range and between it and the Euro, we can probably get some good fidelity on the changing thermal profile Sunday afternoon/evening.  Otherwise, things seemed pretty locked in place.

Yeah, especially now that the ice potential is becoming more a threat, even in the metro areas.  That, and wind.  The temperature profiles once we get into the NAM range (and other meso models), as you say, will be quite useful.  The overall synoptic setup is more or less settled it would seem.

• mappy unpinned this topic