Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

2 hours ago, George BM said:

Yeah. That Sunday return looks iffy atm with snow, potential heavy, during the PM hours of Sunday before any potential flip. At least that's how it looks at the moment. Details are still changing of course.

I would AWD just to be safe.

Thanks. We found an earlier flight that would get them into National by 10. Going to see if we can get the flight changed. Will still be me picking up as they will still fly out of Dulles and back into National. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Wrong storm. That was the Blizzard of 1996 which was its predecessor. This was afterwards. They got 6-10" at Dulles from this one according to the snow data 

We got smashed by both January 1996 storms in Lewisburg, PA. Buddy and I drove back to school right after the January 12 storm to a scene I had never experienced before, nor have I since. Four-lane state roads with one lane plowed either way and snow banks up and over the roofs of cars. Wading through waist-high powder when trying to get into our fraternity house. Roof collapses. And then the massive flooding on the Susquehanna only a week later. Truly epic stuff!

• Weenie 1

Just now, mattie g said:

We got smashed by both January 1996 storms in Lewisburg, PA. Buddy and I drove back to school right after the January 12 storm to a scene I had never experienced before, nor have I since. Four-lane state roads with one lane plowed either way and snow banks up and over the roofs of cars. Wading through waist-high powder when trying to get into our fraternity house. Roof collapses. And then the massive flooding on the Susquehanna only a week later. Truly epic stuff!

That is amazing. I was 5 years old for those storms and my first weather memory is actually from the Blizzard of 96. Absolutely incredible scene in my neighborhood with piles only beaten by 2003 and 2010. I wish I was older so I can have a fonder appreciation for that storm, but now I live through the meteorology. Glad you got to experience and remember it all!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

That is amazing. I was 5 years old for those storms and my first weather memory is actually from the Blizzard of 96. Absolutely incredible scene in my neighborhood with piles only beaten by 2003 and 2010. I wish I was older so I can have a fonder appreciation for that storm, but now I live through the meteorology. Glad you got to experience and remember it all!

Yeah...that was one hell of a storm! I was in Wilkes-Barre, PA for that one, but obs near home in South Jersey were nearly 30". I'm sure you got the full appreciation of the 2010s though!

As for the central PA events, had that been a month later, I'm sure it would have been a very blurry memory. :lol: I know I've mentioned it in here before, but for two of the four years I was up there, we had some amazing winters.

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I cannot, for the life of me, remember the February 2014 storm that people are talking about in the MLK storm thread. I know we had a great period of winter weather then, so maybe it just all blended together.

Feb 13 2014. Was a big east coast nor'easter 

My vague memories of 96 are coming back from vacation in FL (celebrating something with my grandparents and extended family... don't remember what it was) and flying back into NC and getting stuck there for a while... eventually got one of the last flights into DCA -- but it was after the storm ended. 

• Sad 1

• mappy unpinned this topic