Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm replying to this in banter

But yes. This. I try so hard not to rub whatever snow I get in others faces, knowing full well I live in an area that will usually do better than most. 

But snow is very much an IMBY thing and screw everyone else. You and I should know better than to expect others to view it the way that we do. 

I just hate the fact that some seem to get nasty when models aren't showing what they want for their yard.

Most of us are here for the love of weather and more so love of snow.

With as wide as our subforum is most of our storms are going to have winners and losers unfortunately,  but I never ruin someone elses joy in here because I'm on the outside looking in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I had a bit of a life epiphany back in early 2019. We're conditioned to think and feel certain ways about life, politics, relationships, and ALL the other stuff. Most (if not all) gets wrapped in negative emotional cycles because of this. Especially politics but applies all over. Sports. Friends. Co-workers. Church if that's your thing. And on and on 

Well, I'm the f'n boss, not society or societal construct rules. I know exactly what brings negative cycles into my thoughts and emotions so you know what I did? I f*cking removed them! I don't watch news anymore at all (I read what's important to me. No watching random crap). Idgaf about the WFT, the white house, I dropped my negative friends (told them all exactly why in a respectful way), and grabbed my own live by the horns. I have never ever felt more powerful as a person than I do today. I could talk an hour more about this but that's the gist.

But with all the personal changes comes some collateral or sympathetic effects. One of which is not being around here much anymore and with how this place operates that will continue to decline. It sucks but it's a me thing and I'm on the right track across the board in my life 

Friend, you gotta do what's best for you and sounds like you have. Sure we would all love for you to post more, but I get it. I understand 100%. 

Things change, people come and go, dynamics change too. Its okay. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris78 said:

I just hate the fact that some seem to get nasty when models aren't showing what they want for their yard.

Most of us are here for the love of weather and more so love of snow.

With as wide as our subforum is most of our storms are going to have winners and losers unfortunately,  but I never ruin someone elses joy in here because I'm on the outside looking in.

Again, most view snow as IMBY and don't care about anyone or anywhere else. We are the exception to that and it is what it is. I've learned just to shake it off and let people be miserable. That's on them, not us. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

When Wes and the rest of the old crew was active it was very different here. The primary focus was always the science and not the emotions. Plenty of weeniesm of course but the foundation was real analysis first. That flipped a few years ago for whatever reason. Feels like the old way is never coming back unfortunately

One thing that i will always question is the why some of the better professional posters left....if we are ALL being honest most of them are getting PAID for their thoughts now vs giving them freely or vaguely here. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

I got up and caught up on the thread this morning at 6am.  First thought I had was JFC its only Wednesday and its like this already?

Then I went and looked at the GFS and Euro last night to see what was going on.  There are like 10 different things that causing each model to show different outcomes and each one has major impacts.  And we think the models will have that nailed down today?  Thats what drives me nuts about people here at times.  Hanging on every GD run like its etched in stone.  When 6 hours later they have to lug the rock of shame up to etch on it again.  

As Casey Kasem said:  "It's ponderous, fuucking ponderous."

Well wasn't it you that said once it goes west it doesn't come back? 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I had a bit of a life epiphany back in early 2019. We're conditioned to think and feel certain ways about life, politics, relationships, and ALL the other stuff. Most (if not all) gets wrapped in negative emotional cycles because of this. Especially politics but applies all over. Sports. Friends. Co-workers. Church if that's your thing. And on and on 

Well, I'm the f'n boss, not society or societal construct rules. I know exactly what brings negative cycles into my thoughts and emotions so you know what I did? I f*cking removed them! I don't watch news anymore at all (I read what's important to me. No watching random crap). Idgaf about the WFT, the white house, I dropped my negative friends (told them all exactly why in a respectful way), and grabbed my own live by the horns. I have never ever felt more powerful as a person than I do today. I could talk an hour more about this but that's the gist.

But with all the personal changes comes some collateral or sympathetic effects. One of which is not being around here much anymore and with how this place operates that will continue to decline. It sucks but it's a me thing and I'm on the right track across the board in my life 

So true. I detached from it all in early 2020 and I feel 1000 times better. It was so so unhealthy. All the anger, negativity, etc. Anxiety, high blood pressure. Feelings of being totally out of control. You can just bathe in it and be totally miserable and waste your life away. But I found it is possible to control my thoughts and emotions and control what I allow into my life. Its still possible to love snow without having it completely consume you to the point of it being unhealthy.

In the end Wxtrix wasn't wrong. Scramble your password and never come back. It worked.

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

Well wasn't it you that said once it goes west it doesn't come back? 

I guess you feel the need to target me with stuff so ok.  Sure, all my posts are absolutes.  No tongue in cheek, no dry humor.  

If you want to pick a fight then go ahead.  

The biggest difference between now and, say, 10 years ago is that a lot of us long-timers aren't up for dealing with the bullsh*t any more. We've gotten older and wiser, have other priorities in life, we like to yell at clouds, etc., and the mods (understandably) don't have the wherewithal to deal with the new folks that muck things up. I mean...I distinctly recall getting smacked down by Randy when I was relatively new and being a bit of a prick, so I cleaned up my act and got with the program. I'm sure plenty of others have done the same.

It doesn't help that "weather Twitter" and the like are a thing now, and that pros and serious hobbyists are taking their knowledge there, rather than interacting with folks on weather boards.

If this place is to remain, there's going to come a time when either the younger/newer faces will need to step in and help steer the ship, with long-timers hopefully finding it a place worth sticking around.

• Like 2

Guys can we please stop? The greatest thing about this board is that most of us genuinely  like each other and have fun with this. We have a handful of posters who do nothing other than try to be cute, or they be themselves and unfortunately for them that means they practice being a dick. Let’s excommunicate them and then the rest of us that have been here forever can have fun even if we don’t get what we want.

There’s a lot more important things in life than weather. Let’s hope for the best, be happy for all that we have, and enjoy the interaction with each other.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

I guess you feel the need to target me with stuff so ok.  Sure, all my posts are absolutes.  No tongue in cheek, no dry humor.  

If you want to pick a fight then go ahead.  

Ok got it....just making sure. No fight from me, you win

41 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Agree with Bob. My patience is limited. It’s used to be (no pun intended) a different place. The drama gets old.  

Yea, this will be my last post on this topic. I shouldn't even have started it. I already said this stuff last year. Personally, I absolutely love a good melt or epic rant... but only when it's appropriate for where we are. When I melt you can be assured it was a short term shift to disaster. Not 5 days out from am extremely complicated setup. Rants and melts should be saved for the highest impact timing. Not every 6 hours far beyond the range of a storm being real. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing with others that the disco has been rather poor... I'm resolving to try and get better with the met concepts myself. I've got 7,000 posts and the great stuff people post has largely bounced off me like I'm rubber. Need to cover myself in superglue. 

There are some truly great resources out there, though. The Weeks 1&2 readings from this college class posted online by UofA look potentially solid for a lot of us with less skills.

http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/spring17/atmo336s2/home.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, this will be my last post on this topic. I shouldn't even have started it. I already said this stuff last year. Personally, I absolutely love a good melt or epic rant... but only when it's appropriate for where we are. When I melt you can be assured it was a short term shift to disaster. Not 5 days out from am extremely complicated setup. Rants and melts should be saved for the highest impact timing. Not every 6 hours far beyond the range of a storm being real. Lol

I liked Jebman's melt in 2015. That was amazing.

Maybe a March 2001 rug pull is worth a similar rant. But not something like this. That is just petty.

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I liked Jebman's melt in 2015. That was amazing.

Maybe a March 2001 rug pull is worth a similar rant. But not something like this. That is just petty.

We had some amazing ones during the 3 year snow drought. Mine didn't come until 2013 I think. Before the March debacle iirc. After that I was literally unstable as a person and an overall liability to society in general :lol:

Eta: then 2013-14 walked in the door and literally saved my life and the universe and the 4th dimension from extinction 

52 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

One thing that i will always question is the why some of the better professional posters left....if we are ALL being honest most of them are getting PAID for their thoughts now vs giving them freely or vaguely here. 

yeah I think this is a good point - that plus Twitter and other platforms (medium/substack etc) have created multiple avenues for mets to reach folks in a much broader way than on here.  nothing beats this place during a storm though.

i haven't been on here as much (two kids + the fact we haven't had winter for a couple years lol), but who has stopped posting regularly in terms of professional mets?  I don't see Wes.  Does HM still post?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i’m glad you are happier now. i hope others take the lesson they need too.

i actually hate winter more every year. right now i am hoping this storm falls apart because we’re in Key West and i worry now about the petsitter not being able to get to the cats during it. (i’d be completely ok with having to extend our vacation here and miss the entire storm.)

LOL I definitely relate to this.  I mean sure I love it during the storm, and seeing my girls experience the snow was great.  But it quickly becomes a serious nuisance to the point of being disruptive.  I don't have much patience for the cold and snow anymore.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Even if that happens everyone will see snow from it. Maybe not a huge storm. But it would start as snow for everyone. 

ICON out on Weather us. It is beautiful. Mouth of the bay pass. We all get smoked. Definitely flips east of the Blur Ridge. But a gorgeous run. 

oh no, you've reminded me of weather.us. Looks like they sitll have the Australian, Chinese, (high-res?) UKIE, and the French models. so many additional toys.

• Haha 1

I told my wife that, while we couldn't imagine leaving this neighborhood while the kids are young, I would love to eventually have a place along the southeast coast where I could fish and play golf nearly year-round, but also a place in the mountains where I could go to get my winter fix when needed. I'm not interested in long periods of meh winter weather, so getting away in those dreary months with a mountain place as an option for the fix would be ideal.

Bonus is having places that the kids (and maybe eventually grandkids, if I live long enough :lol:) would be happy to visit!

Now...I just need the funds to make this all happen...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah I think this is a good point - that plus Twitter and other platforms (medium/substack etc) have created multiple avenues for mets to reach folks in a much broader way than on here.  nothing beats this place during a storm though.

i haven't been on here as much (two kids + the fact we haven't had winter for a couple years lol), but who has stopped posting regularly in terms of professional mets?  I don't see Wes.  Does HM still post?

Honestly I'm not sure who they are talking about. Wes still chimes in occasionally but can be found at CWG. HM was always a rarity but is pretty active on Twitter and seems to have a child now. DT was just plain nuts but clearly has a business and is active on FB and Twitter when not banned. Matt still posts but if you have followed him over the years even his FB posts are non existent anymore so he pops in here for big events vs spending 20 hours a day on here. Ian left to go be a thinktank something or other but he had his battles here many of which he started in my opinion. I guess there are others who have left but i'm not sure I know or even knew who they were. I've been around since 2003 and there has always been crap posters including my own posts. I know what I am and what I do and don't contribute....anybody remember that Colin dude from Philly....was he any different than some of these newer guys? I don't know....I still enjoy coming here and reading, probably always will as long as it exists. As I said i know who and what I am as a poster so if i'm not your cup of tea then go drink coffee. Good luck on the potential storm everyone.

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic