• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

@LP08  it's that northern stream shortwave in Canada.  In your map, it's up in western Hudson Bay and a piece breaks off and moves through the Canadian prairies and down into the Great Lakes.  That yanks our storm west.  Without, the Atlantic side blocking is probably sufficient to make it a southern slider that moves out to sea.  We saw that with earlier runs.  So the positioning and strength of that shortwave is key.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@LP08  it's that northern stream shortwave in Canada.  In your map, it's up in western Hudson Bay and a piece breaks off and moves through the Canadian prairies and down into the Great Lakes.  That yanks our storm west.  Without, the Atlantic side blocking is probably sufficient to make it a southern slider that moves out to sea.  We saw that with earlier runs.  So the positioning and strength of that shortwave is key.  

This is it in a nutshell. That sw is everything to this storm.

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

He's def arrogant and entitled af.  If he ate some humble pie he could actually help his cause a LOT more than he is doing.

hes awful. i had my run in with him a year or so ago where he was a total asshole. 

• Like 1

Dafuq was going on last night around the 00Z GFS run??  The commentary was off the rails, though not sure any worse than other times things got bad.  A couple of people in there, names I don't think I've seen, were just trolling away (or trying to do really clever snark, hard to say).  It was...weird.

One of the big reasons I started wanting to participate less last few years is exactly whats going on today (and any day) there's a mid range possibility. Tension and hand wringing about who gets a jackpot when it's not even clear if we're going to get anything at all... People get very very far ahead of themselves when things are tense and it really does suck the life out of me. I mean sure, if a nearby jackpot is seemingly locking in inside of 72 hours.... beat that ish to death.

Right now all anybody should care about is being in the game or not. Not counting your chickens in a 50 mile wide swatch of digital heavies on a storm in the mid range. I can't participate in that at all because its not appropriate for where we are on the clock. Waste of time and energy but that's just me. 

• Like 6

Just now, Bob Chill said:

One of the big reasons I started wanting to participate less last few years is exactly whats going on today (and any day) there's a mid range possibility. Tension and hand wringing about who gets a jackpot when it's not even clear if we're going to get anything at all... People get very very far ahead of themselves when things are tense and it really does suck the life out of me. I mean sure, if a nearby jackpot is seemingly locking in inside of 72 hours.... beat that ish to death. Right now all anybody should care about is being in the game or not. Not counting your chickens in a 50 mile wide swatch of digital heavies on a storm in the mid range. 

Violently agree

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

One of the big reasons I started wanting to participate less last few years is exactly whats going on today (and any day) there's a mid range possibility. Tension and hand wringing about who gets a jackpot when it's not even clear if we're going to get anything at all... People get very very far ahead of themselves when things are tense and it really does suck the life out of me. I mean sure, if a nearby jackpot is seemingly locking in inside of 72 hours.... beat that ish to death.

Right now all anybody should care about is being in the game or not. Not counting your chickens in a 50 mile wide swatch of digital heavies on a storm in the mid range. I can't participate in that at all because its not appropriate for where we are on the clock. Waste of time and energy but that's just me. 

welcome to my hell. 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

welcome to my hell. 

When Wes and the rest of the old crew was active it was very different here. The primary focus was always the science and not the emotions. Plenty of weeniesm of course but the foundation was real analysis first. That flipped a few years ago for whatever reason. Feels like the old way is never coming back unfortunately

One of the big reasons I started wanting to participate less last few years is exactly whats going on today (and any day) there's a mid range possibility. Tension and hand wringing about who gets a jackpot when it's not even clear if we're going to get anything at all... People get very very far ahead of themselves when things are tense and it really does suck the life out of me. I mean sure, if a nearby jackpot is seemingly locking in inside of 72 hours.... beat that ish to death. Right now all anybody should care about is being in the game or not. Not counting your chickens in a 50 mile wide swatch of digital heavies on a storm in the mid range. 

I got up and caught up on the thread this morning at 6am.  First thought I had was JFC its only Wednesday and its like this already?

Then I went and looked at the GFS and Euro last night to see what was going on.  There are like 10 different things that causing each model to show different outcomes and each one has major impacts.  And we think the models will have that nailed down today?  Thats what drives me nuts about people here at times.  Hanging on every GD run like its etched in stone.  When 6 hours later they have to lug the rock of shame up to etch on it again.  

As Casey Kasem said:  "It's ponderous, fuucking ponderous."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for this, Bob.  You made a similar post a couple of years (?) ago about the attitudes that can develop and implored people to be a bit less tense about it, and to stop the back-biting ugly commentary.  Seemed to work for awhile but then...well, right back to the same ol' same ol'.  Would it be upsetting to me to end up with a washout for this event after a few hours of snow and/or ice?  Sure.  But what's the point of pissing on everything in here?

Personally, I don't care about being in the jackpot zone (would be great any time of course!).  I mean really...who cares if the Blue Ridge gets 24" snow and here in the metro I get 10-12"?  Or for that matter, when people piss and moan about how much Boston gets.  Why do we care?  They live in a much more favorable climo!!  Same thing...if we get a foot and they get a blizzard with twice as much there, why is that an issue?  Not the same as getting shut out while everyone else gets something good.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

I got up and caught up on the thread this morning at 6am.  First thought I had was JFC its only Wednesday and its like this already?

Then I went and looked at the GFS and Euro last night to see what was going on.  There are like 10 different things that causing each model to show different outcomes and each one has major impacts.  And we think the models will have that nailed down today?  Thats what drives me nuts about people here at times.  Hanging on every GD run like its etched in stone.  When 6 hours later they have to lug the rock of shame up to etch on it again.  

As Casey Kasem said:  "It's ponderous, fuucking ponderous."

Casey Kasem actually said the F word???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

When Wes and the rest of the old crew was active it was very different here. The primary focus was always the science and not the emotions. Plenty of weeniesm of course but the foundation was real analysis first. That flipped a few years ago for whatever reason. Feels like the old way is never coming back unfortunately

You're not wrong. Things have def changed over the last few years. People leave, others join and the dynamic changes quite a bit. 

You're an OG member, and I am thankful when you do pop in and post your thoughts. But I understand where you're coming from. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t recall any of us acting like this when we were looking at partly cloudy and bare ground last week. Sure we wanted it to be better, we pulled hard for it, but we didn’t begrudge anybody their snow and fun.

I'm replying to this in banter

But yes. This. I try so hard not to rub whatever snow I get in others faces, knowing full well I live in an area that will usually do better than most. 

But snow is very much an IMBY thing and screw everyone else. You and I should know better than to expect others to view it the way that we do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mappy said:

You're not wrong. Things have def changed over the last few years. People leave, others join and the dynamic changes quite a bit. 

You're an OG member, and I am thankful when you do pop in and post your thoughts. But I understand where you're coming from. 

Same.  I have found it really sad that so many good posters and other meteorologists have just thrown up their hands and left due to some of the God-awful commentary in here.  Though I can't really blame them.  Again, I get the disappointment and I don't deny being frustrated with, say, this potential event this weekend.  But I don't litter the board with sniping comments or complaints or "it's over!!!"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

I had a bit of a life epiphany back in early 2019. We're conditioned to think and feel certain ways about life, politics, relationships, and ALL the other stuff. Most (if not all) gets wrapped in negative emotional cycles because of this. Especially politics but applies all over. Sports. Friends. Co-workers. Church if that's your thing. And on and on 

Well, I'm the f'n boss, not society or societal construct rules. I know exactly what brings negative cycles into my thoughts and emotions so you know what I did? I f*cking removed them! I don't watch news anymore at all (I read what's important to me. No watching random crap). Idgaf about the WFT, the white house, I dropped my negative friends (told them all exactly why in a respectful way), and grabbed my own live by the horns. I have never ever felt more powerful as a person than I do today. I could talk an hour more about this but that's the gist.

But with all the personal changes comes some collateral or sympathetic effects. One of which is not being around here much anymore and with how this place operates that will continue to decline. It sucks but it's a me thing and I'm on the right track across the board in my life 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I'm replying to this in banter

But yes. This. I try so hard not to rub whatever snow I get in others faces, knowing full well I live in an area that will usually do better than most. 

But snow is very much an IMBY thing and screw everyone else. You and I should know better than to expect others to view it the way that we do. 

It doesn't help a thing to brag about the snow one gets when others miss. Its something we should all root for together because snow for all makes everyone happy.  If people were a lot less IMBY it would help this place so much more.  The few that look at it all as a group effort lead by example just as you say.  From the dry dessert of NPZ land to Cape's area it can be feast or famine and making others feel like shit for getting more than some places is just bad behavior.  

I was blessed to get that 10" snow and didn't want others to feel bad about it.  I didn't get as much Friday and it didn't bother me one bit.  Not because I got the snow I did that Monday but because if everyone gets to see snow it makes for a more fun shared experience.  THAT should be the goal.  

• Like 5

• mappy unpinned this topic