• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

Seriously. We have a handful of friends who live in the Lorton area, who have been without power ALL THIS WEEK. That's rough...and with colder temps incoming, they're getting concerned about keeping pipes warm, etc.
I'm in Stafford and still without power since 11am Monday. Luckily I have a generac generator hooked to my main propane source. Hope your friend gets power.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Being without power sucks.  We have livestock and cannot "bug out" like our friends do.

Interestingly enough, many don't know better and leave and come home to a LOT of damage when all their pipes freeze solid and burst.

So we have a few gennies.  A large diesel and a few smaller gas portable units including inverter types for the sensitive equipment.  15kW of solar which is grid tie so not doing any good during an outage but that can be rectified in an emergency situation.

It costs a LOT to keep the power on in an extended outage.  But out of necessity it's worth it as well.

The last time we had a multi day outage was the wind storm of 03/02/2018.  It was cold but nothing like the cold this week.

In 2011 with Irene the electrical distribution system up here took a huge hit and we were on genny power for nearly a week.  For internet we used a cradle point router with a Verizon card (EVDO back in the day) got about a megabit down and 300-500kbps up which was fine for email and stuff.  Until day two!  The cell sites around here back then only used battery banks that could run 48 hours tops.  The larger sites with onsite gennies were far enough away that the signal dropped.  I had to climb a tower to mount a directional antenna to get a better signal and stay connected.

But if the unthinkable happens, I can bring out the retired HAM gear from my FIL to see what's happening.  Hopefully that day never comes.

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey it's nice to be seeing snow and also looking just over a week ahead at potential! I tried to stop it, but...my brain was already getting sucked into next weekend even as last night's fun was going on. But I made sure to enjoy that as it happened...progress :lol:

Im glad you found a way to enjoy today's snow! :D On to the next! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Seriously. We have a handful of friends who live in the Lorton area, who have been without power ALL THIS WEEK. That's rough...and with colder temps incoming, they're getting concerned about keeping pipes warm, etc.

That is what happened to my team in Austin last February, but it was in the teens for at least 5 days.  A ton of them had frozen pipes burst since those houses weren't built to a code with much insulation.   It was a mess. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

:o:o:o

Jebman, wishing for warmer temperatures and higher dewpoints?!?!  What is the world coming to?  Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria! @WxWatcher007, we may need an anti-Panic Room, or an inverse Panic Room, or something like that for Jeb, stat!! :lol:

But more seriously, hope you are doing well, Jebman!  And hope it was fun to live our snowy week vicariously while there in TX!

It was very very fun living your snowstorm vicariously! I am hoping you guys keep getting demolished by heavy snow! I am doing very well, I have adapted to living here in south central Texas. Because I spent so much time in hot very humid weather in the summer, its amazing how cold 50 degree weather starts to feel. I still like snow though, and will always be pulling for the Mid Atlantic Region to get buried ALIVE by Parrs Ridge Powder!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

That is what happened to my team in Austin last February, but it was in the teens for at least 5 days.  A ton of them had frozen pipes burst since those houses weren't built to a code with much insulation.   It was a mess. 

Yeah south Texas homes are not built for lows in the single digits or HIGHS barely reaching 20 lol. Lots of burst pipes last Feb down here. We were so fortunate. No pipes burst, though the outdoor water lines froze. The donkey water containers had three inches of ice on them, had to resort to using a sledge on then to break thru the ice lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Without a doubt.

Was supposed to leave that Sun for my final semester of undergrad in NC. Being a wx nerd, left NOVA on Sat trying to beat the storm. Didn’t even make it to RIC before I turned around, 95 was a mess. Even then.

Back in NOVA that night, stopped by the bar my brother was working at to let him know we were about to get shellacked. Then proceeded to the ABC store to buy a bottle of Citron and Aftershock for storm prep. Disgusting.

Snowed in for a solid week. Dad was in Egypt and Mom was trapped at the hospital. Sister started a fire in the basement and I got to use a fire extinguisher for the first time. As a reward, she got to go to Disney World with my parents a few weeks later because they didn’t trust her home alone. Still bitter about that…

Watched the mailman get stuck in our cul-de-sac. Watched the tow truck get stuck trying to tow the mailman. And then watched the flatbed take them both away. But not the asshat neighbor who took my parking spot after I spent two days digging my car out. Still bitter about that too…

Good times for sure, thanks for posting!

Good times. I used to LOVE the wonderful sound of tires spinning so hard in wonderful deep snow! I would laugh at it til I had tears runnin out of my eyes and my friends would shake their heads. The '96 bliz was hardship for lots of folks and I thought the entire thing was so hilarious! I was blasting my music per usual, played one particular song, Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin' so damned many times because it reminded me of people getting stuck in snow, fighting for parking spaces, it drove my neighbors CRAZY as sh!t. I was happily digging people out like Clark Kent while blasting that damn song so loud! It drove so many people nuts that a few of my church friends had nothing to do with me EVER again! Not everyone comprehends our crazy hobby, and I am SOOOOOO obsessed with the weather in general lol.

• Haha 2

Speaking of sound nothing tops the sound of snowflakes hitting the leaf covered forest floor.  If you're in the middle of nowhere and the only sound is from nature, it's simply amazing!  The only thing that could top that is it were thundersnow and a really close one (<1 sec) strikes taking you totally by surprise!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jnis said:

Hey, 

Good to hear from you. We were fortunate to be able to perform all of our regular venues outdoors with the tent set-ups. We squeezed a gig in last night :)

I just finished clearing 4” of powder from my driveway- so much easier from the slop we dealt with last year.

Well done! Glad you've been able to continue. Felt great to get back last spring, summer, and fall :)

10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

There is nothing quite as beautiful to behold as fresh snow cover, especially on prior snow cover that's half-melted, compacted, muddy, or...other colors from pets passing by. Wish I could get some video snippets of the blowing snow this morning...that's pretty, too.

You all know this. But I'm like an eight-year old all over again staring out the window this morning.  :) 

It will never get old. NEVER. I (all of us) didn't ask to be born like this so the best thing to do is embrace it. I'm not sure which chromosome is responsible for weenieism but there definitely is one. It's a wiring thing for sure 

• Like 9

Wow, all the old time comments in the LR thread about the good ole days brought back memories.  Built my first weather station in 1976, when I was 15.  Was a Heathkit with base station and hard wired outdoor unit.  Had indoor and outdoor temp, wind speed and direction and barometer.  Soldered all the components on the board myself.  Was so proud when it actually worked.  

The weather station performed well until I left Ohio in 1985.  It even recorded a max wind gust of 73mph during the blizzard of 78 at our home just north of Dayton.  We had it mounted 40 feet above the ground on our antenna tower so it got the full force of the wind.  Wow... that wind in 78.  Will never forget the howl.  

Great memories...   Our dad actually made our first color TV in 1969.  Also from Heathkit.  He finished it just a couple months before the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.  Had a remote control too, which was unheard of back then.  Was a mechanical/audible remote that used small running forks that clicked with each function.  Was one of the first in town with a TV with a remote.  I especially loved it because before dad finished that TV, I was the remote (being the youngest in the family, it was easiest for me to crawl to the tv to change the channel)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

It will never get old. NEVER. I (all of us) didn't ask to be born like this so the best thing to do is embrace it. I'm not sure which chromosome is responsible for weenieism but there definitely is one. It's a wiring thing for sure 

Indeed.  I just turned 60 and still get as excited about snow now as I did when a youngster in elementary hoping for a day off from school.  Of course, back int the 60's in Ohio it took a LOT more snow, ice and/or extreme cold to close school than it does today - especially around here.  

My wife of 25+ years doesn't understand me nor our collective obsession with snow and weather as a whole.  She doesn't understand how I can go out on the Kubota and plow for 8+ hours, come home exhausted and then want to plow more after dinner.  

If the genetic scientists ever do figure out what the gene is responsible for our affliction, I hope and pray they don't engineer it out of future generations.  There's something about the hope for snow, the challenge of seeing what mother nature  can muster, and yes, even the occasional failure that makes the adrenaline rush when it does work out for us worth the despair when we fail.  God I love it!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Weenieism is absolutely genetic. My mother is the biggest tropical weenie you will ever meet, and my sons are all snow weenies (one of them has been obsessed with tornadoes since he was three). My wife doesn’t get it (which is another common thing I’ve noticed on this forum- the spouses never understand) :lol:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RDM said:

Indeed.  I just turned 60 and still get as excited about snow now as I did when a youngster in elementary hoping for a day off from school.  Of course, back int the 60's in Ohio it took a LOT more snow, ice and/or extreme cold to close school than it does today - especially around here.  

My wife of 25+ years doesn't understand me nor our collective obsession with snow and weather as a whole.  She doesn't understand how I can go out on the Kubota and plow for 8+ hours, come home exhausted and then want to plow more after dinner.  

If the genetic scientists ever do figure out what the gene is responsible for our affliction, I hope and pray they don't engineer it out of future generations.  There's something about the hope for snow, the challenge of seeing what mother nature  can muster, and yes, even the occasional failure that makes the adrenaline rush when it does work out for us worth the despair when we fail.  God I love it!!!

I love weather to death. First my late dad was upset about my snow obsession, now I live with my brother, I get the line about Dont make an IDOL out of weather geeze. I love weather so much, I wanna obsess all my life then happily burn in hell for eternity. It would be worth it. I dont like God, I love The WEATHER! I have so many obsessions, I have an obsession about obsessions. Now its Gardening, love tomatoes. Workin in the Texas sun in August down here. Now delivery. I tried out Doordash, totally obsessed. I'll NEVER grow up. I will obsess and obsess and obsess. I wasted all our family money on therapy. I am a total waste of money and I am PROUD of this, in the end, I still obsess about the snow and floods and will never EVER listen! I am totally terminal and rebellious. I'll proclaim to God's Face that I love snow forever, then proudly march straight into my very own Judgment for ever. I will NEVER learn! I will set the Record straight forever: I love snow, I love floods like Harvey, I got off on the water rising so damn much it was unbelievable. I jumped for JOY over Harvey, and Hurricane Matthew in Florida! Those YouTube videos were the joy of my disaster loving life! I was absolutely obsessed over EVER weather disaster known to man, all my life! I love severe ice storms too! Man those tires spinning on the ice, all the acrid smoke! There's nothing like watching a car spin on an icy road! One thing that I find extremely fulfilling personally, is people stuck on I-95 during a major blizzard replete with high winds, record amounts of snow and severe wind chills! No one in this world is nearly as happily obsessed especially with challenging winter weather, as I! I turn 58 this year! I'll NEVER ever learn! I will NEVER get even the smallest of clues! I wish million year blizzards on Northern Virginia! I love you guys in the Mid Atlantic to get demolished by snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm!!!!! I'd like to see people in Dale City have to crawl out their 2nd floor windows just to get out of the house! I hope you guys end up with one of the baddest winters on record! A Pattern is developing that will set records potentially, for cold and for snow all over the Eastern Seaboard! Every time it snows in Northern Virginia, I dance around as though I just won 2.6 Billion dollars in the D.C. Lottery!

You all get the picture. I am crazy obsessed with Weather, and everything else I like.

No one on this planet is nearly as crazy obsessed with snow and all weather, as The Jebman.

Beautiful Hurricane Michael coverage

Wow another one

14 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a recessive gene, and so far the medical community doesn't have a cure.  In fact, there may never be one!  Or at least, I sure hope there never will be!!

12 hours ago, RDM said:

Wow, all the old time comments in the LR thread about the good ole days brought back memories.  Built my first weather station in 1976, when I was 15.  Was a Heathkit with base station and hard wired outdoor unit.  Had indoor and outdoor temp, wind speed and direction and barometer.  Soldered all the components on the board myself.  Was so proud when it actually worked.  

The weather station performed well until I left Ohio in 1985.  It even recorded a max wind gust of 73mph during the blizzard of 78 at our home just north of Dayton.  We had it mounted 40 feet above the ground on our antenna tower so it got the full force of the wind.  Wow... that wind in 78.  Will never forget the howl.  

Great memories...   Our dad actually made our first color TV in 1969.  Also from Heathkit.  He finished it just a couple months before the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.  Had a remote control too, which was unheard of back then.  Was a mechanical/audible remote that used small running forks that clicked with each function.  Was one of the first in town with a TV with a remote.  I especially loved it because before dad finished that TV, I was the remote (being the youngest in the family, it was easiest for me to crawl to the tv to change the channel)

Heathits were awesome!

My first was the ID-1890 "wind computer" circa 1981.  It was less than half the price of the amazing ID-4000 and had the same wind sensor.  The bearings for the anemometer and large cups meant this was spinning practically all the time.  My Downeast and Weather Helm anemometers needed enough wind to feel on your face to start turning.  Kind of like that Accurite AIO that's still holding up (I don't know how!) on the tower today.

In 1985 we had severe storms with two trees struck on the property and I lost the CPU on the barometer and a few photo transistors on the wind sensors of the 1890.  Finding parts today, particularly the custom Z80 CPU, is extraordinarily difficult.  But if you happen across a 1890 or 4000 without the boom and when plugged in the clock is working and wind speed shows 0 out of the southeast, it's worth buying because it has a good cpu.

The ID-5000 was the last console they released and added even more functions.  The gold foil humidity sensors were quite frail on these and if not properly installed (outdoors) would often fail.  There are substitute transducers available and if one is capable of building the kit surely has the electronics knowledge to repair them! ;)

What I like about them, particularly wind sensors is you actually see the wind speed and direction in real time.  The display update rate is 2Hz (two times/sec) and is like watching a digital speedometer in a car which is fun during a bout of severe weather.  Everything today being wireless is delayed and even worse many don't have a sample buffer meaning peak gusts are never displayed or (ultimately worse) recorded.

If I installed the (Heathkit) boom today, I'd use shielded CAT6 for the cable and make sure the boom is connected to the drain wire along with the back panel of the display unit.  The original 8 conductor wire was not even using twisted pairs and susceptible to damaging voltage spikes from poorly grounded masts or nearby lightning strikes.

• Like 1

My first year on the forums (Wright-Weather) was winter of 2000-01, what a crazy winter to get the hobby started. I was 14 at the time, I remember watching a segment on the 6PM news from Hurricane Schwartz down here in Philly. It was early to mid December at the time. He was talking about an upcoming pattern change and something called a NAO. I did a google, uh, maybe askjeeves search and the test was history...

That winter started off with a major cold front in mid to late December which lead to the block forming in the Atlantic. This eventually lead to the dec 30 2000 event. A week or so before that event the models were showing a HECS Miller A. It eventually turned into a purely Miller B ULL.

@Jiprobably doesnt remember this, but I was up all night watching the radar during that dec 30 event. We spoke on AIM and he told me how he could see still see the stars outside which was a terrible sign. DC was supposed to get like 6-10" and instead got partly sunny. 

That season also had the infamous March 2001 bust. All in all it was actually a decent winter in philly. 

I understand @Bob Chill not getting invested on LR op runs. Personally, I still cant help it. During Nov-April I check each model run during the day. I will stay up late for euro during if theres a big one approaching. I can't help it. The lows way out weigh the highs, but that's the beauty if this hobby. The big ones are rare, but when they happen theres no better feeling as a snow enthusiast. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I see that, as usual, I’ve missed something.

It's just gets SO old w/ vice-regent. Legit good disco to learn from, from Bob Chill, and immediately that vice ****nut has to just shit on things.  God forbid we get a chance to read and learn without his trolling. it is infuriating. He not only adds nothing, he detracts from the forum. He should be gone. 

7 hours ago, Jebman said:

I love weather to death. First my late dad was upset about my snow obsession, now I live with my brother, I get the line about Dont make an IDOL out of weather geeze. I love weather so much, I wanna obsess all my life then happily burn in hell for eternity. It would be worth it. I dont like God, I love The WEATHER! I have so many obsessions, I have an obsession about obsessions. Now its Gardening, love tomatoes. Workin in the Texas sun in August down here. Now delivery. I tried out Doordash, totally obsessed. I'll NEVER grow up. I will obsess and obsess and obsess. I wasted all our family money on therapy. I am a total waste of money and I am PROUD of this, in the end, I still obsess about the snow and floods and will never EVER listen! I am totally terminal and rebellious. I'll proclaim to God's Face that I love snow forever, then proudly march straight into my very own Judgment for ever. I will NEVER learn! I will set the Record straight forever: I love snow, I love floods like Harvey, I got off on the water rising so damn much it was unbelievable. I jumped for JOY over Harvey, and Hurricane Matthew in Florida! Those YouTube videos were the joy of my disaster loving life! I was absolutely obsessed over EVER weather disaster known to man, all my life! I love severe ice storms too! Man those tires spinning on the ice, all the acrid smoke! There's nothing like watching a car spin on an icy road! One thing that I find extremely fulfilling personally, is people stuck on I-95 during a major blizzard replete with high winds, record amounts of snow and severe wind chills! No one in this world is nearly as happily obsessed especially with challenging winter weather, as I! I turn 58 this year! I'll NEVER ever learn! I will NEVER get even the smallest of clues! I wish million year blizzards on Northern Virginia! I love you guys in the Mid Atlantic to get demolished by snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm!!!!! I'd like to see people in Dale City have to crawl out their 2nd floor windows just to get out of the house! I hope you guys end up with one of the baddest winters on record! A Pattern is developing that will set records potentially, for cold and for snow all over the Eastern Seaboard! Every time it snows in Northern Virginia, I dance around as though I just won 2.6 Billion dollars in the D.C. Lottery!

You all get the picture. I am crazy obsessed with Weather, and everything else I like.

No one on this planet is nearly as crazy obsessed with snow and all weather, as The Jebman.

Beautiful Hurricane Michael coverage

Wow another one

It sounds like you need to move back up north!! But I’m so glad you are still part of this forum.  I love your optimistic posts. You help to balance out Ji’s pessimism. This year it has really worked out for us!   I took a bunch of Jebwalks this week. We just moved to a new neighborhood that has a gorgeous trail behind it. I felt like I stepped into a winter fairytale land when I walked through there on Monday. If I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I would!  Waiting for our next big one… 

That GFS run gave me fond recollections of 2/5/10. The most surreal two days of my life, trudging knee-deep through the dark streets the first night after the power had gone out, with only the sound of the howling wind and snow interrupting the beautiful silence. Its fun to dream 

2 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Heathits were awesome!

My first was the ID-1890 "wind computer" circa 1981.  It was less than half the price of the amazing ID-4000 and had the same wind sensor.  The bearings for the anemometer and large cups meant this was spinning practically all the time.  My Downeast and Weather Helm anemometers needed enough wind to feel on your face to start turning.  Kind of like that Accurite AIO that's still holding up (I don't know how!) on the tower today.

In 1985 we had severe storms with two trees struck on the property and I lost the CPU on the barometer and a few photo transistors on the wind sensors of the 1890.  Finding parts today, particularly the custom Z80 CPU, is extraordinarily difficult.  But if you happen across a 1890 or 4000 without the boom and when plugged in the clock is working and wind speed shows 0 out of the southeast, it's worth buying because it has a good cpu.

The ID-5000 was the last console they released and added even more functions.  The gold foil humidity sensors were quite frail on these and if not properly installed (outdoors) would often fail.  There are substitute transducers available and if one is capable of building the kit surely has the electronics knowledge to repair them! ;)

What I like about them, particularly wind sensors is you actually see the wind speed and direction in real time.  The display update rate is 2Hz (two times/sec) and is like watching a digital speedometer in a car which is fun during a bout of severe weather.  Everything today being wireless is delayed and even worse many don't have a sample buffer meaning peak gusts are never displayed or (ultimately worse) recorded.

If I installed the (Heathkit) boom today, I'd use shielded CAT6 for the cable and make sure the boom is connected to the drain wire along with the back panel of the display unit.  The original 8 conductor wire was not even using twisted pairs and susceptible to damaging voltage spikes from poorly grounded masts or nearby lightning strikes.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  You are far more versed on Heathkits than I.  Regret I don't remember which model I have.  Had 4 dials housed in a dark brown faux wood plastic case.  

For a teenager, I was very proud of my first Heathkit project.  It set the course for a sequence of events that lead to a fun career...  After the weather station, my parents bought me a Heathkit lab, but it didn't have the same impact as the weather station. A few years later, I learned to weld in high school (TIG, MIG and Stick) and used that to build the roll up door on our dad's airplane hanger and then the log splitter I built for my senior engineering project in college (it splits wood going both directions - still have the splitter now).  

It's too bad Heathkit no longer makes kits.  As a motivational/educational tool, Heathkit was instrumental in encouraging an untold number of youth and adults in how to develop real-world hands-on skills which are lacking these days.  

• Like 2

It seems like we as a board (probably all people) would do well to internalize that there aren’t really instances of a single factor determining outcomes with universal certainty. Case in point, the ENSO state is not the sole deterministic factor of our sensible weather for met winter—it contributes, for sure, but you can’t say La Niña means our weather will be “x” or will not be “y” with 100% certainty. @Maestrobjwa, you’re  not the only one doing this, but I feel like you’ve spent the last few years trying to find the “one thing” to hang your hat on to know the weather…but there isn’t “one thing.” There’s no period of return, no macro scale weather pattern that is going to be entirely deterministic and tell us that we are or aren’t getting a big snowstorm. There are so many fine chaotic details that you can’t see or define, certainly not on a seasonal scale, and for me, that’s what makes this hobby fun! But you have to be comfortable with uncertainty (which is probably a good life lesson for a very broad swath of the population). 

Anyway just my 2 cents as someone whose been lurking here since 2008 :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.  You are far more versed on Heathkits than I.  Regret I don't remember which model I have.  Had 4 dials housed in a dark brown faux wood plastic case.  

For a teenager, I was very proud of my first Heathkit project.  It set the course for a sequence of events that lead to a fun career...  After the weather station, my parents bought me a Heathkit lab, but it didn't have the same impact as the weather station. A few years later, I learned to weld in high school (TIG, MIG and Stick) and used that to build the roll up door on our dad's airplane hanger and then the log splitter I built for my senior engineering project in college (it splits wood going both directions - still have the splitter now).  

It's too bad Heathkit no longer makes kits.  As a motivational/educational tool, Heathkit was instrumental in encouraging an untold number of youth and adults in how to develop real-world hands-on skills which are lacking these days.  

That would be the ID-1290:

Very popular due to providing temp/pressure/windspeed and direction for under $150.  Very reliable unit.

ID-1290.png

• mappy unpinned this topic