Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Today is one of my favorite anniversaries in weather history. Top 3 favorite for me all time . Over 36 hours duration.  30-34" . Temps in the teens . And we got another 8-12" later in the week . Plus a clipper I believe. :weenie::weenie:

20220106_161611.jpg

20220106_161628.jpg

that one is still top 3 for me.  i might have to put 2016 above it because it was pure snow start to finish, but those are top 2.  3rd might be feb '10 and 4th pd2.  too young for '83, but i'm sure that would make top 5.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Today is one of my favorite anniversaries in weather history. Top 3 favorite for me all time . Over 36 hours duration.  30-34" . Temps in the teens . And we got another 8-12" later in the week . Plus a clipper I believe. :weenie::weenie:

20220106_161611.jpg

20220106_161628.jpg

You brought back some interesting memories of this timeframe, @losetoa6 -- my oldest son was only about six months old when this hit, and we were trapped inside with him for a couple weeks.  :D  Also, it's great to see/read you here again.  :) 

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

@WeatherShak -- or was it @GATECH? -- put up a post last year that one of them mounted a new all-in-one wx station in their backyard, which they were pretty pleased with. I'll be damned if I can remember the brand name that they mentioned...I wrote it down on a sticky at the time and (of course) have since lost that -- but I tagged 'em here and maybe one/both will chime in with the name.

@clskinsfan I got the tempest weatherflow.  Great device, haptic rain gauge, sonic wind sensor, lightening detector, solar powered.   Very happy with it…until it broke.  I probably mounted it bad, big gust of wind around thanksgiving and it fell on my drive way! 

The great news is that I called customer service, they tried to help me fix it, but it was beyond repair.  After repairs failed, they sent me a new unit, for free!!!   Talk about great customer service!  Extremely happy with the unit and the company.   I think the unit cost Is around $350.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

THANK YOU, @GATECH, for chiming in! I remember reading your initial impression of the Tempest Weatherflow last year, and did some of my own research shortly thereafter...reading a fair amount of good reviews. I wanted to pull the trigger....but I need to convince Mrs. V that it's worth it.  :)  In any event, something to add to your list of considerations, @clskinsfan -- and the unit certainly remains on my list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

20220106_161611.jpg

20220106_161628.jpg

Number 2 to me to 2016. I dont think we will ever see a stall and 40 inch dump like 2016 out here again. It was literally the perfect storm for my yard. 03 would be number 3 for me. Honorable mention to Veterans Day 87 and the incredible fail from meteorologists with it. 

27 minutes ago, GATECH said:

@clskinsfan I got the tempest weatherflow.  Great device, haptic rain gauge, sonic wind sensor, lightening detector, solar powered.   Very happy with it…until it broke.  I probably mounted it bad, big gust of wind around thanksgiving and it fell on my drive way! 

The great news is that I called customer service, they tried to help me fix it, but it was beyond repair.  After repairs failed, they sent me a new unit, for free!!!   Talk about great customer service!  Extremely happy with the unit and the company.   I think the unit cost Is around $350.

That is a little more than I want to spend. But I might just bite the bullet. This hobby is something else. Every time I am ready to walk away I sucked right back in. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, GATECH said:

I’ve got a Davis VP2 at Deep Creek but I think I’m going to get the tempest for here after reading your post — I wanted to get something cheaper than the Davis for here since…let’s be honest….it’s usually 35/rain in winter anyways. ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

As much as it sucks missing your first snow there, it was definitely the right call.  You’ll have plenty more chances to see snow (and get there safely).  And as least you’ll get snow here tonight.  I’ve missed a few trips to Deep Creek for a storm and it was 36 and rain here.  :) 

Just curious, but how long does it take you drive out to your spot in Garrett county? I’m finally in a position to start thinking about a little spot out in Canaan but I worry whether I’d get out there enough.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just curious, but how long does it take you drive out to your spot in Garrett county? I’m finally in a position to start thinking about a little spot out in Canaan but I worry whether I’d get out there enough.

Without traffic - door to door its a bit under 2 hrs 50 mins.  Worst part of the drive is the few minutes on the Beltway to get into MD and 270.  After that, its usually smooth sailing, especially 68 which never has traffic unless there’s an accident.  

When we bought the house five years ago, we got it to rent out.  But we quickly realized how much we enjoy being there (and get out there ~2 weekends/month plus longer trips around the holidays/summer) - so we’ve never rented it out since the thought of renting it to randoms and then using it a week later skeeves me out (YMMV).   My stress level immediately declines the second we get there which is another reason why I love to get there.

I think you’d really like a place in Canaan since I know you enjoy hiking/snow/breweries/etc - I’d imagine its probably under 3 hours from you too.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i was at a conference in Atlanta in January 1996. I saw that a big storm was coming on Sunday night and knew i needed to get back to DC before then. I tried to convince the friend I was sharing my hotel room with (we were grad students so on a budget) to change her plans, but she didn't. I had already given my paper and had my committee meetings, and since a lot of people from the department were at the convention the chair was going to take us all to dinner on Sunday night. I passed him as I was leaving the hotel with my luggage and I told him that if he didn't get out now, he wouldn't be back in DC until Thursday. he said he'd take his chances.

my plane was one of the last to land at DCA that night before it had to close because of the snow. DC was a mess and of course it snowed again a few days later. I had to register for the spring semester (in person back then) and when I finally got down to the university on that Thursday, the department chair was just walking in. I asked him when he got back, and he said "just now. you were right." then it snowed again the next day.

what a week.

Wow, in-person course registration...that brings back some memories. What a nail-biting time THAT used to be...jostling for a view with dozens of other students of the constantly-updated course lists (and 11th hour cross-outs) posted in the long main hallway of my college's main admin building. Younger generations may (or may not) have it easier with digital registrations now, but the old manual methods made life...interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Unrelated -- apparently my wife and I are probably one of only a few folks around the globe who haven't seen all six seasons of "The Sopranos." We watched the prequel movie (Many Saints of Newark) back in late fall on HBOMax, and just binge-watched all Sopranos episodes since then, with exception of the final three which we'll finish tonight and tomorrow.

It's always a little sad when you reach the end of a binged series and approach "show hole" status once more...but I've already decided I'm going to re-watch Sopranos again. Plus, last season of Ozark will land next week, AND we've the final season of Lost In Space to catch up on, too....  :D 

*Raises hand*

I have seen episodes of the Sopranos, both in their original form and the clean-and-sanitized versions that they would show on TNT or Bravo or some channel like that (ie. they took out the swearing), but I've never seen the entire 6 seasons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jebman said:

Its been damned COLD in south central Texas, problem is, we have been SO spoiled utterly rotten for so long with 82/68 dewpoints!!!!!!!!! I actually thought it was chilly with a south wind comin in off the GoM, with 72/67 conditions late at night at midnight in late December!

I realize this is heresy, coming from me...........But I want those 68 degree dewpoints BACK in Buda for a couple of days, along with 83 degree ambient temps.

This is what happens when you work outside in south Texas summers for three years running. I'm used to it, I work out there in mid August heat like I grew up down here lol

:o:o:o

Jebman, wishing for warmer temperatures and higher dewpoints?!?!  What is the world coming to?  Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria! @WxWatcher007, we may need an anti-Panic Room, or an inverse Panic Room, or something like that for Jeb, stat!! :lol:

But more seriously, hope you are doing well, Jebman!  And hope it was fun to live our snowy week vicariously while there in TX!

• Haha 2

There is nothing quite as beautiful to behold as fresh snow cover, especially on prior snow cover that's half-melted, compacted, muddy, or...other colors from pets passing by. Wish I could get some video snippets of the blowing snow this morning...that's pretty, too.

You all know this. But I'm like an eight-year old all over again staring out the window this morning.  :) 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

There is nothing quite as beautiful to behold as fresh snow cover, especially on prior snow cover that's half-melted, compacted, muddy, or...other colors from pets passing by. Wish I could get some video snippets of the blowing snow this morning...that's pretty, too.

You all know this. But I'm like an eight-year old all over again staring out the window this morning.  :) 

I totally agree!  Something about waking up with a completely fresh pack of snow.  As if magic happened overnight.  I also of course like observing it while awake too, during the day, etc.

Just don't eat yellow snow!!  And especially not brown snow!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CentralVaNATS said:

I-95 corridor folk0decadec66b4a0b2fceffa20e57a07c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Seriously. We have a handful of friends who live in the Lorton area, who have been without power ALL THIS WEEK. That's rough...and with colder temps incoming, they're getting concerned about keeping pipes warm, etc.

• mappy unpinned this topic