Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Don't make me post a meme about how we used to ride in cars without seat belts and in the bed of the pickup truck barefoot on the highway and smoking cigarettes on airplanes and I turned out fine...cuddle up with some bubble wrap ya pansies

And hitchhiking.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jonjon said:

As mentioned, other than the two western slopes, most of Snowshoe's vertical is less than 800'.  If you're looking for a "resort" feel its better than most other options (lots of condos, restaurants, shops, etc. in the Village).

Another option that is an easier/shorter drive with as much (if not more) snow is the Canaan Valley area.  Timberline's vertical is 1000' and is a true skier's mountain with interesting slopes.  Canaan Valley Resort has an 850' vertical, I believe, and is nice as well.  If you like to free heel, in between these two resorts is the mid-atlantic's premier cross country ski area, White Grass.  So, three ski areas all right next to each other.  Not as much resort style, most restaurants/shops are in nearby Davis and Thomas.

Thanks for the info.  I've skied Wisp, White Tail and 7-Springs -   and heard of Cannan, Davis and the others you mentioned.  Just not into cross-country skiing.  

Skied the Springs a LOT years ago and had a big crew of telemark friends there.  I haven't used alpine gear since 1990 when I converted over to telemark/free heal while living in Germany.  Prefer extreme steep stuff with bumps - hard to find around here.  I've got beacons, probe poles etc and did a lot of off-piste excursions in the Alps where you can go anywhere you want (unlike out west where they punch your ticket and/or arrest you for going off-piste).  

But, I'm getting older too and tele skis are hard on the knees, but too much fun compared to alpine gear.  None the less, age may force me to return to the hard shell boot and fat skis at some point.  Thanks again

5 minutes ago, RDM said:

Thanks for the info.  I've skied Wisp, White Tail and 7-Springs -   and heard of Cannan, Davis and the others you mentioned.  Just not into cross-country skiing.  

Skied the Springs a LOT years ago and had a big crew of telemark friends there.  I haven't used alpine gear since 1990 when I converted over to telemark/free heal while living in Germany.  Prefer extreme steep stuff with bumps - hard to find around here.  I've got beacons, probe poles etc and did a lot of off-piste excursions in the Alps where you can go anywhere you want (unlike out west where they punch your ticket and/or arrest you for going off-piste).  

But, I'm getting older too and tele skis are hard on the knees, but too much fun compared to alpine gear.  None the less, age may force me to return to the hard shell boot and fat skis at some point.  Thanks again

I think Whitegrass is more than just cross country (maybe I'm not as familiar with the semantics of cross country vs. telemark).  But they've got a 1200' vertical, and the locals not only free heel on their wonderful array of slopes, but also use the slopes of the two downhill resorts in the area.  I believe that area will have the most "free heelers" in the mid atlantic.

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I need to replace my weather station. Its all busted up and just worn out. Can anyone recommend a decent one for around $200? 

@WeatherShak -- or was it @GATECH? -- put up a post last year that one of them mounted a new all-in-one wx station in their backyard, which they were pretty pleased with. I'll be damned if I can remember the brand name that they mentioned...I wrote it down on a sticky at the time and (of course) have since lost that -- but I tagged 'em here and maybe one/both will chime in with the name.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I think Whitegrass is more than just cross country (maybe I'm not as familiar with the semantics of cross country vs. telemark).  But they've got a 1200' vertical, and the locals not only free heel on their wonderful array of slopes, but also use the slopes of the two downhill resorts in the area.  I believe that area will have the most "free heelers" in the mid atlantic.

Cross-country and Telemark equipment looks similar and are often confused as being the same.  In the Alps the locals would often say "kook mal dar its langlauf skifaher"  (look, there is a cross-country skier - because telemark is not very popular in the Alps, but rules in Scandinavia).  

The equipment is very different, especially the skis.  Cross country skis typically have scales on the bottom and a double camber and no metal edge, (skating skis are different).  Telemark skis are narrower than downhill/skis (much narrower than carving skis) and have metal edges.  Can't use telemark skis to push forward like you can with cross-country skis as there's no scales to grip the snow.  However, you can put removable skins on the bottom of telemark skis and use the one-way grip of the skins to climb uphill off-piste to go backcountry.  

Telemark skis are also much thinner in cross-section than alpine/downhill skis and flex much more.  As a result, it's more difficult to get a good edge on hard pack with telemark skis; which is compounded by the binding only being on the front of the boot.  Compared to alpine skis with an essentially rigid core around and in between the front and back bindings, you get about half the useful edge with telemark skis.  

An added plus (for me) is the comfort of telemark boots.  My telemark boots are leather with a Vibram sole.  They are very comfortable to walk in - almost as comfortable as hiking boots.  You can put crampons on them and walk/hike/climb up very steep terrain and ice, take off the crampons and then ski down (hopefully on snow and not the same ice you just climbed up).  

4 hours ago, RDM said:

How is Snowshoe?  Never skied it be before.  I telemark ski, or used to.  Haven't skied for a few years and want to get back into it.  

Always heard Snowshoe has about a 1500' drop, but Google Earth only shows about half that.  One advantage they have is altitude, but if they only have 7-800 feet of vertical, is it worth the drive?  

I'm spoiled having spent most of my ski days in the Alps (incredible vertical) or in Japan (fantastic snow), but have always been intrigued by Snowshoe.  How long does it take you to driver there?  Do you go 81 to Stauton and then west via SR-250?  Thanks

I spent several years heading out west, after I originally learned in the east, for 1 or 2 trips a year instead of skiing the east, really love Revelstoke and Jackson Hole.  I like to ski off piste a lot so grooming isn't a big concern of mine.   Obviously nothing in the east compares to most of the resorts out west or in Europe but if you time your trips right and hit up mtns after a snowstorm it can be good skiing.  

Snowshoe is the best of the mid atlantic mountains and its not even close imo.  Now I will say I have not tried Timberline since its ownership change and reopening.  I've heard good things.  And that mountain has a ton of potential.  But under previous management it was a mess.  Awful slow lift, boring trails with similar terrain, no moguls or natural terrain, and just run down feel to it.  If they are running it right, have some nice bumps and variety and I know they have a new fast lift...maybe that can compete now.  

You are right the front side of snowshoe only has about 800 ft vertical.  But there is a backside with 2 trails that have 1500.  It is only 2 trails but they also have some glades in between the trails.  The front side isn't so bad though, there are 2 nice gladed runs, a couple of nice mogul runs, and the lifts are fast enough it doesn't feel too awful with the lack of vertical.  Snowshoe gets dumped from upslope events from the west.  Additionally I have always been impressed by their conditions despite challenging weather.  They recover from a hard freeze pretty quickly and make a ton of snow fast.  All in all for this area its the best.  

For the east coast though nothing beats northern Vermont after an upslope event where Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggs, or Jay get crushed with feet of powder.  They all have some decent tree skiing and natural terrain and get enough snow that if you time it after a dump its worth it.  In the spring Sugarloaf in Maine is awesome, they don't get nearly as much snow but hold their snowpack very well into April and May, but its a freaking grail quest to get there.  Also look out for cold and wind in New England.  You don't want to go up there if its the middle of a brutal cold period.  They lifts might be shut down due to wind anyways and it can be -20 with a 30 mph wind and frankly no matter how tough you are and how well you dress its not going to be a fun experience.  I've skied out west in colorado when it was -20 and it just didnt' feel nearly as awful as a couple times I made the mistake of skiing in Vermont in -20.  Just don't do it!   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I spent several years heading out west, after I originally learned in the east, for 1 or 2 trips a year instead of skiing the east, really love Revelstoke and Jackson Hole.  I like to ski off piste a lot so grooming isn't a big concern of mine.   Obviously nothing in the east compares to most of the resorts out west or in Europe but if you time your trips right and hit up mtns after a snowstorm it can be good skiing.  

Snowshoe is the best of the mid atlantic mountains and its not even close imo.  Now I will say I have not tried Timberline since its ownership change and reopening.  I've heard good things.  And that mountain has a ton of potential.  But under previous management it was a mess.  Awful slow lift, boring trails with similar terrain, no moguls or natural terrain, and just run down feel to it.  If they are running it right, have some nice bumps and variety and I know they have a new fast lift...maybe that can compete now.  

You are right the front side of snowshoe only has about 800 ft vertical.  But there is a backside with 2 trails that have 1500.  It is only 2 trails but they also have some glades in between the trails.  The front side isn't so bad though, there are 2 nice gladed runs, a couple of nice mogul runs, and the lifts are fast enough it doesn't feel too awful with the lack of vertical.  Snowshoe gets dumped from upslope events from the west.  Additionally I have always been impressed by their conditions despite challenging weather.  They recover from a hard freeze pretty quickly and make a ton of snow fast.  All in all for this area its the best.  

For the east coast though nothing beats northern Vermont after an upslope event where Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggs, or Jay get crushed with feet of powder.  They all have some decent tree skiing and natural terrain and get enough snow that if you time it after a dump its worth it.  In the spring Sugarloaf in Maine is awesome, they don't get nearly as much snow but hold their snowpack very well into April and May, but its a freaking grail quest to get there.  Also look out for cold and wind in New England.  You don't want to go up there if its the middle of a brutal cold period.  They lifts might be shut down due to wind anyways and it can be -20 with a 30 mph wind and frankly no matter how tough you are and how well you dress its not going to be a fun experience.  I've skied out west in colorado when it was -20 and it just didnt' feel nearly as awful as a couple times I made the mistake of skiing in Vermont in -20.  Just don't do it!   

Thanks much for the info.  Think you and I exchanged some notes a couple years ago about skiing.  I'm thinking of trying to hit the slopes again while I still can (maybe).  Just turned 60 and may not be able to do it much longer.  Actually, it may be ugly again to try now.  There's a lot more coordination required to telemark and it may require some rebuilding of muscle memory.  haha.   

On a serious note, thanks for everything you bring to the forum.  You are one of the main contributors that still make it interesting despite all the trolling that threatens to bring things down...   Really appreciate all the time you put into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RDM said:

Thanks much for the info.  Think you and I exchanged some notes a couple years ago about skiing.  I'm thinking of trying to hit the slopes again while I still can (maybe).  Just turned 60 and may not be able to do it much longer.  Actually, it may be ugly again to try now.  There's a lot more coordination required to telemark and it may require some rebuilding of muscle memory.  haha.   

On a serious note, thanks for everything you bring to the forum.  You are one of the main contributors that still make it interesting despite all the trolling that threatens to bring things down...   Really appreciate all the time you put into it.

Thanks for the kind words.  One of the times I went to Revelstoke BC I ran into an older gentlemen in his late 60's looking for someone to hit the backcountry with.  He showed me some great terrain and then we had a few beers.  He was still able to do all the terrain I could handle and made it look easy!  lol.  There is hope for us all!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks for the kind words.  One of the times I went to Revelstoke BC I ran into an older gentlemen in his late 60's looking for someone to hit the backcountry with.  He showed me some great terrain and then we had a few beers.  He was still able to do all the terrain I could handle and made it look easy!  lol.  There is hope for us all!  

haha - I can still drink beer!   Man, some of the apree ski options in the Alps are incredible.  Lots of great memories from my younger days there.   Same for the Foggy Goggle Bar at Seven Springs.  That place was a blast back in the day.  Hung out with some great folks there.  

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Today is one of my favorite anniversaries in weather history. Top 3 favorite for me all time . Over 36 hours duration.  30-34" . Temps in the teens . And we got another 8-12" later in the week . Plus a clipper I believe. :weenie::weenie:

20220106_161611.jpg

20220106_161628.jpg

Missed that one sadly but heard about it.  Was living in Japan at the time.  Missed many of the big ones around here over the last 35 years except those that took place from 2009 on.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

No, it's licking a metal pole to see if its below freezing outside or not

Ahhh, "The Christmas Story." Took in my requisite 27 viewings of it over the last four weeks. And it never gets old.  :) 

Unrelated -- apparently my wife and I are probably one of only a few folks around the globe who haven't seen all six seasons of "The Sopranos." We watched the prequel movie (Many Saints of Newark) back in late fall on HBOMax, and just binge-watched all Sopranos episodes since then, with exception of the final three which we'll finish tonight and tomorrow.

It's always a little sad when you reach the end of a binged series and approach "show hole" status once more...but I've already decided I'm going to re-watch Sopranos again. Plus, last season of Ozark will land next week, AND we've the final season of Lost In Space to catch up on, too....  :D 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Today is one of my favorite anniversaries in weather history. Top 3 favorite for me all time . Over 36 hours duration.  30-34" . Temps in the teens . And we got another 8-12" later in the week . Plus a clipper I believe. :weenie::weenie:

20220106_161611.jpg

20220106_161628.jpg

Without a doubt.

Was supposed to leave that Sun for my final semester of undergrad in NC. Being a wx nerd, left NOVA on Sat trying to beat the storm. Didn’t even make it to RIC before I turned around, 95 was a mess. Even then.

Back in NOVA that night, stopped by the bar my brother was working at to let him know we were about to get shellacked. Then proceeded to the ABC store to buy a bottle of Citron and Aftershock for storm prep. Disgusting.

Snowed in for a solid week. Dad was in Egypt and Mom was trapped at the hospital. Sister started a fire in the basement and I got to use a fire extinguisher for the first time. As a reward, she got to go to Disney World with my parents a few weeks later because they didn’t trust her home alone. Still bitter about that…

Watched the mailman get stuck in our cul-de-sac. Watched the tow truck get stuck trying to tow the mailman. And then watched the flatbed take them both away. But not the asshat neighbor who took my parking spot after I spent two days digging my car out. Still bitter about that too…

Good times for sure, thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

• mappy unpinned this topic