Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If this is even close I’m heading to snowshoe this weekend. 552EAF5B-5308-4E8A-BA93-7EBEF1C83444.thumb.jpeg.297bddbf93098e7196a5bda72f22d6b4.jpeg

How is Snowshoe?  Never skied it be before.  I telemark ski, or used to.  Haven't skied for a few years and want to get back into it.  

Always heard Snowshoe has about a 1500' drop, but Google Earth only shows about half that.  One advantage they have is altitude, but if they only have 7-800 feet of vertical, is it worth the drive?  

I'm spoiled having spent most of my ski days in the Alps (incredible vertical) or in Japan (fantastic snow), but have always been intrigued by Snowshoe.  How long does it take you to driver there?  Do you go 81 to Stauton and then west via SR-250?  Thanks

Taking this to banter, but can anyone explain or justify this man’s maps? Why are they habitually very bullish and (perhaps more importantly) why does his constituency not skewer him for constantly busting? Maybe it’s just MBY, but I usually see 2” less than is on these things. I just don’t get it. 

540A60F1-A9CC-4AB8-B1BF-FDA0ECE95BF3.jpeg

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

Taking this to banter, but can anyone explain or justify this man’s maps? Why are they habitually very bullish and (perhaps more importantly) why does his constituency not skewer him for constantly busting? Maybe it’s just MBY, but I usually see 2” less than is on these things. I just don’t get it. 

answer is as old as time:  SECS sells

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SnowDreamer said:

That storm really was fast.. when did it end?

1 hour ago, RDM said:

How is Snowshoe?  Never skied it be before.  I telemark ski, or used to.  Haven't skied for a few years and want to get back into it.  

Always heard Snowshoe has about a 1500' drop, but Google Earth only shows about half that.  One advantage they have is altitude, but if they only have 7-800 feet of vertical, is it worth the drive?  

I'm spoiled having spent most of my ski days in the Alps (incredible vertical) or in Japan (fantastic snow), but have always been intrigued by Snowshoe.  How long does it take you to driver there?  Do you go 81 to Stauton and then west via SR-250?  Thanks

That 800’ might be about right for the main area, but their 1500’ is the Western Territory which is across the street from the main area, it’s about a mile and a half long I think? There’s also silvercreek for night skiing until 9, as the main area closes at 4.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

People act like it has only recently become an “issue”. Snow produces exactly the same problems as it did 30 years ago.

No, its actually become a more serious issue in the past 10 years or so because some millennials are now old enough to creep into the public school bus driving profession.

1 minute ago, grhqofb5 said:

Well, they are re-writing the rules of civilization, which makes sense because they are more intelligent and worldly than anyone born before 1982.

Well considering what the boomers left us, there’s a lot of editing that needs to be done.

Unironically agree that our cohort is more intelligent and worldly than anyone born before 1982, thanks :D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kevin Reilly said:

News is good with creating fear and ratings.

Oh, I don't think the concept of news organizations knowing that coverage of big weather events gooses the ratings is anything new. I remember local stations being all over big weather events in the 1970s.

As for the current storm, I'm starting to hope for the "atmospheric memory" or whatever we call it that seems to target a specific area repeatedly throughout the season. And so far this season it would be me. :) 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This hobby is the anti-thesis of free time efficiency. That's the core reason I backed off. I was spending a disproportionate amount of time doing something pretty much unproductive. My time has become more valuable than a d5+ storm on an op. I only start doing the analysis thing inside of 72 hours. I barely looked at models yesterday too. I just popped in here from time to time to make sure it was still on the table. Yesterday's model runs don't mean jack squat today anyways 

probably better to talk about weather than the wizards, though.  i had to cut back on that a few years ago.  there's only so many times i can have an argument about busted draft picks and the need to have a stretch, playmaking 4/5 in the lineup.

Don't make me post a meme about how we used to ride in cars without seat belts and in the bed of the pickup truck barefoot on the highway and smoking cigarettes on airplanes and I turned out fine...cuddle up with some bubble wrap ya pansies

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RDM said:

As mentioned, other than the two western slopes, most of Snowshoe's vertical is less than 800'.  If you're looking for a "resort" feel its better than most other options (lots of condos, restaurants, shops, etc. in the Village).

Another option that is an easier/shorter drive with as much (if not more) snow is the Canaan Valley area.  Timberline's vertical is 1000' and is a true skier's mountain with interesting slopes.  Canaan Valley Resort has an 850' vertical, I believe, and is nice as well.  If you like to free heel, in between these two resorts is the mid-atlantic's premier cross country ski area, White Grass.  So, three ski areas all right next to each other.  Not as much resort style, most restaurants/shops are in nearby Davis and Thomas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Well considering what the boomers left us, there’s a lot of editing that needs to be done.

Unironically agree that our cohort is more intelligent and worldly than anyone born before 1982, thanks :D

Luckily I was born in 1980 so I'm not a millennial, and also can't be easily pigeon holed into Generation X.  So I can offend both generations with mean jokes.

BTW--  45 in Annapolis, Dew Point 24, Barometer 29.97, and mostly sunny.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

probably better to talk about weather than the wizards, though.  i had to cut back on that a few years ago.  there's only so many times i can have an argument about busted draft picks and the need to have a stretch, playmaking 4/5 in the lineup.

We are getting Thomas and Rui back very soon. I think the Wiz are in a good spot. The hot start was a bit of a fluke but if we can get mostly healthy for the second half of the season good things will happen. High clouds streaming into Montclair.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic