Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Banter 2022

George BM

7 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

A lot of people could not wrap their heads around it being 60 degrees Sunday and snowing Monday. Saw tons of Facebook comments assuring people there would be no accumulation because it would all melt. Probably some of the people stuck on 95 today.

I hate to say this but some of the blame falls on certain local forecasters, including Tommy T. He called for no more than 3-5" anywhere west of the bay. Most people probably assume that is manageable to drive. It certainly is a far cry from getting a 8-12" in 5 hours, which is what actually happened.

I've also heard of someone with a relative in Dover who was told 4-6". Ended up with 11".

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

To add, holiday traffic with everyone traveling home from wherever they were plus the simple fact that the stretch of 95 that is impacted has the most horrendous traffic on a daily basis regardless of the day or time of day. You could easily say 95 south through Stafford is at a standstill any day of the week and be right...add in a foot or more of snow in 6 hours and there you have it.

BINGO. There would've been an accident(s) AND slowdowns/stoppages yesterday in both directions on I-95 yesterday, even if it had been clear, full sun and seasonal temps...and not just due to the residual holiday-related traffic.

I despise relying on the Richmond-DC stretch of 95 for ANY travel....but when we must (especially for longer trips), we try to time it to timeframes with presumably lesser volume, like predawn or very late evening. Even that trick doesn't work as well anymore. The level of 95 suckage is increasingly and consistently high, 24/7/365.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

A lot of people could not wrap their heads around it being 60 degrees Sunday and snowing Monday. Saw tons of Facebook comments assuring people there would be no accumulation because it would all melt. Probably some of the people stuck on 95 today.

Yet we as a society have to solve climate change and people cannot understand snow can accumulate after it was 60. Scares me

After one too many whiskeys, I woke up this morning so happy to discover that I didn’t drunk post. And then I checked my fantasy football team score to be sure I locked up 3rd place, and Boswell scored 17 points! Wth? I lost by three! 

If I had seen that last night, I would have been dragged out of here by a bouncer!

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

After one too many whiskeys, I woke up this morning so happy to discover that I didn’t drunk post. And then I checked my fantasy football team score to be sure I locked up 3rd place, and Boswell scored 17 points! Wth? I lost by three! 

If I had seen that last night, I would have been dragged out of here by a bouncer!

Fantasy is more serious than snow.  No one EVER acts crazy over snow as much as people do about fantasy football.

• Like 2

Fantasy is more serious than snow.  No one EVER acts crazy over snow as much as people do about fantasy football.

I rarely go to bed truly frustrated. Snow, grades, fantasy football… those would be about the only reasons.

Needed a long shot to win (Najee/Chubb/Diontae > 70), but got 2nd place. If I played Cooks over AB, it would’ve happened. Oh well.

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is the first time playing fantasy football and I’ll admit that I had fun, but I don’t take it very seriously. How can you? I have almost as little control over what happens to my team as I do controlling the weather. Crap like AB is a crazy example. My gf lost the championship of one of her leagues by one point because she played him. Ironic that it cost her $333 too. 

This is the first time playing fantasy football and I’ll admit that I had fun, but I don’t take it very seriously. How can you? I have almost as little control over what happens to my team as I do controlling the weather. Crap like AB is a crazy example. My gf lost the championship of one of her leagues by one point. Ironic that it cost her $333 too. 

It’s the illusion of control and predictability. Maybe speaking for myself, you think you must be smart enough to draft well, win on the waiver wire, look at the data and make good start/sits, trade by selling high and buying low… and then your first round pick is out for the season after the 2nd game. It’s at least 60% luck, just tough to realize it.

also, when your league takes it very seriously, you get caught up in it.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It’s the illusion of control and predictability. Maybe speaking for myself, you think you must be smart enough to draft well, win on the waiver wire, look at the data and make good start/sits, trade by selling high and buying low… and then your first round pick is out for the season after the 2nd game. It’s at least 60% luck, just tough to realize it.

also, when your league takes it very seriously, you get caught up in it.

FF was an outright obsession and time-suck for me in my mid-20s (i.e., PRE-marriage). It was a love/hate thing that I could barely pull myself away from at times...and yeah, I thought I could beat most of the odds with all of my worldly drafting, starting/benching and trading, but I couldn't bring myself to admit how luck IS involved.

I got re-involved with FF again several years ago with my now-adult sons -- "What could it hurt," I thought, "I'm more mature and can HANDLE it now!" -- and got sucked RIGHT back into the obsessing and trash-talking. Had to quit (again) after just two years, because I can't invest that amount of time and emotion into it anymore...plus, I can't trust myself to behave.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

See how kind the northern and western crew have been to the southern crew on their big storm? See if it continues if it happens twice :lol:;):hurrbear:

Always happy for folks to get snow regardless of what falls in my backyard. 

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I  lost both of my Championship games, but 2nd place in 2 of 3 leagues is good for me. :-)

• Like 1

Clearly, bad decisions were made, but literally NO ONE (including everyone on this board) thinks……hey, I shouldn’t drive in the snow because I’ll get stuck for 16 hours. There were clearly a number of compounding factors at play here, including puking snow, the Monday after a huge holiday weekend with folks still traveling and/or returning to work, possible plow shortages due to illness, etc. hindsight is a beautiful thing.

14 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

I was just messing with you. Def not salty. I appreciate you keeping me in check as always. We may need a welfare check on @Maestrobjwasoon tho

I'm good, lol Yes, yesterday absolutely still stings...gonna take a little bit, but it's also an opportunity to reflect on this whole thing.

Meanwhile, I'm not putting too much stock into the Thurs-Fri thing atm (hard to bet against the ns backing off TWICE in one week during a nina). In fact this one not working out will make it easier to take a much-needed break from here for a few days.

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

HEY!! I may be a musician but I ain't THAT broke!! Lol (But seriously thanks be to God. So many are struggling, but I am blessed with what I have)

:lol:

Yeah, was just joking of course, the comment that you might need a "welfare check" made me laugh so I had to make the obvious joke!

And I totally agree with you.  So many in the performing arts (classical and otherwise) have been really hit hard with COVID and venues having to be shut down.  I hope that many of the companies (orchestra, ballet, opera, etc.) are able to survive somehow.

23 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

:lol:

Yeah, was just joking of course, the comment that you might need a "welfare check" made me laugh so I had to make the obvious joke!

And I totally agree with you.  So many in the performing arts (classical and otherwise) have been really hit hard with COVID and venues having to be shut down.  I hope that many of the companies (orchestra, ballet, opera, etc.) are able to survive somehow.

Yeah it has been a rough go...and consequently the gig economy was reduced to a standstill. (At least those stimulus checks did help--I know they made up for what I lost with my seasonal school gigs) 

But ya know, one thing those in the arts are known for is our resilience and creativity in making it work however we can! And it's funny...in some instances, having to be virtual opened up some rather unique opportunities to reach even more people than we would have in person. (For example, a friend of mine was in some kind of virtual opera singing thing!)

And for churches...being virtual also opened up the opportunity to reach more people (I know at my new church we had like 75 in attendance for Christmas Eve but over 100 watching the livestream/Youtube). And while getting into recording and livestreaming was a bit of headache for churches that hadn't done it before (a LOT of trial and error, and some musicians and other members having to turn into amateur videographers, lol), now churches are committed to that format and using it minister further. beyond the walls!

What's that saying about necessity being the mother of invention? :lol:

Hopefully we can get past this surge and continue to return to some kind of new normal--and emerge better than ever!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Anyone else in Arlington/Alexandria with their Xfinity service out since yesterday evening?  

Can't speak to Xfinity -- have you been without service for 24 hours now? If so, that's painful. Admittedly and arguably, a first world problem, but still...painful!

I put in a support ticket with Verizon FiOS 24 hours ago, to have them come out and restring the FiOS cable from the nearest utility pole to our house BACK UP IN THE AIR. It's been laying in my front yard and in the cul de sac on which we live for that entire time, and with numerous cars running over it today, it's only a matter of time before the cable is pulled from A. our house, B. the utility pole, or C. BOTH.

One kind neighbor put out orange cones to mark the wire in the cul de sac, but the snow plowers can't even come in and clear the court until all of the downed wires are fixed. Ours are flat-out down...but two other neighbors have FiOS wires hanging literally 4-6 feet off the cul de sac. I'm sure Verizon is slammed right now, but....geez.

• Sad 1

• mappy unpinned this topic