• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2022

George BM

Please, please always post snow pics. I got quite the thrill today from seeing them. I even scoured the traffic cams so I could see more. I couldn’t be happier that you guys got snow. Shit happens. It didn’t snow here. So what?  If I’m so petty that I can’t be happy for my fellow forum mates then I don’t need to be here and I seriously need to have a talk with myself.

BTW, do we still have the photo thread? I think it would be great to start a winter photo thread and pin it.

Also, BTW, don’t anybody dare start the next long range thread. You see what happens when a pro does it :lol:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, cbmclean said:

@Maestrobjwa

I understand your feelings.  Being a life-long North Carolinian I am used to snowlessness.  But long periods of anomalous warmth like what we just went through really get me down.  I think its OK to feel that way to some extent, but it's also important to try to fight it some as well. 

One big rule I think though is never try to share your displeasure when others are trying to enjoy their happiness.  It's just not fair to them.

Also don't forget that the Panic Room is back up and running.  That thread is meant for venting.

I'm sincerely rooting for you to cash in on Friday!

7 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I just understand how the passion for cold/snow can get very powerful and sometimes unhealthy, like any other passion can sometimes be.  Just one of those things that some people have to deal with.  Sometimes the unhealthy energy can be harnessed for productive purposes.  For example a drive to learn about weather.

I thank you for both of your posts--and for your understanding answer. You are right: I can't dampen somebody else's joy with my own misery. That wasn't right and I do apologize for that.

And you're right--this is a passion that gets VERY unhealthy. It's an emotional force difficult to rein in. Will work on a better way to harness it.

Btw I NEVER said anything about anybody posting snow pics. If I ever implied that I apologize. And I am by no means "petty". Yeah I get jealous (which I'm sure NOBODY here ever does) Many understand the feeling, and I'm thankful for those that actually get it. It is hard to control and takes awhile to master. Not everybody has compassion but some do. Will try to do better.

Also btw: If ya noticed I actually enjoyed some of those pictures!! (especially the coveted Christmas decorations!)

16 hours ago, Rvarookie said:

You did a much better job than me talking him off the ledge. Are you a hostage negotiator? 

Lol Like the other dude said--compassion. A response with nothing more than a blank insult--those usually get nowhere. I know not everybody is wired to respond with understanding--but those that know the feeling know the feeling. If you've never had to deal with it you're blessed. Do I gotta handle it better? Absolutely. We're all learning and growing.

• Like 1

Snow pics are an essential part of the wx board experience when any of us gets a storm. Anyone within the region who wants to share his or her joy should feel free and never hesitate. Even if psuhoffman is the only one who gets a big storm, I’d love to see what he got.

Anyone who feels offended by someone else’s snow pics is probably too much of a snowflake (haha see what I did there) to post here. But I don’t know of any regular who is like that, maybe that weenie tagged DCAlexandria troll? Yeah some people will get jealous, and chances are they are joking, but if not then that’s their damn problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The Today show interviewed a guy who has been on northbound 95 near Stafford since 730pm yesterday. 

I guess my parents are lucky they were able to find a passable exit off of 95S at about 4:30 pm yesterday. They checked into a hotel that doesn't have any power (thus no heat). :yikes:

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I don’t understand how this happens.  It stopped snowing way earlier, plows should be able to clear the path ahead and treat roads.

if it was still snowing, I get it, but this seems crazy. 

You have cars and trucks in the way - no way plows can get through. You also have abandoned cars and jackknifed tractor trailers all over the place that require a ton of support to move...especially with the roads covered in snow and ice.

It's a huge ripple effect - as soon as a few big rigs go down and some entrances and exits get blocked by stuck cars and tucks, it's basically game over.

I'm sure EJ can chime in on this, but I can only imagine that the amount of logistical support to get this going again in massive.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mappy said:

he was moving northbound finally. southbound still a disaster 

Read the reports earlier but couldn't believe how bad it was until took a look for myself....VA 511 cameras currently showing dozens of miles of full-stop traffic on SB I-95 between Richmond and D.C. Looks like a tractor trailer parking lot. It does appear like they're finally funneling folks off of 95 in the Lorton area. Good Lord.

I totally get your thought there but the way I’m reading some of these messages, it seems like the vDOT gave up.  Only 2 hours ago did they send a message that said they’re about to start helping folks.

There has to be a beginning to the stopped line, you’d think they start one by one there.  I guess it’s just a mess of coordination, what a nightmare. 

10 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I totally get your thought there but the way I’m reading some of these messages, it seems like the vDOT gave up.  Only 2 hours ago did they send a message that said their about to start helping folks.

There has to be a beginning to the stopped line, you’d think they start one by one there.  I guess it’s just a mess of coordination, what a nightmare. 

I tend to agree with this. On that road most exits aren’t that far apart. You send emergency workers/police to every exit and start funneling cars off. You may not be able to get it back open, but to have cars just sitting there for that long seems to be entirely avoidable.

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Yeah I'm sure it's that easy and everyone on this weather site could coordinate it better.....seems legit

Haha yeah but I do know this … they focus on clearing the problem and not on clearing the traffic. Happens with all crashes and backups. But you can’t think every single exit is somehow blocked. And clearing an exit would not take that long even if it were blocked. You can get those cars off the road in less than 15 hours. I do know that.

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Haha yeah but I do know this … they focus on clearing the problem and not on clearing the traffic. Happens with all crashes and backups. But you can’t think every single exit is somehow blocked. And clearing an exit would not take that long even if it were blocked. You can get those cars off the road in less than 15 hours. I do know that.

I mean it sounds reasonable but goodness don't you think there is something else going on to block the clearing? I get the frustration and the armchair emergency management but if it's taking this long I for one can't sit here and pin it all on poor planning or incompetence. Something substantial is in the way....it's not like it only snowed a foot on 95 the exits and all of the side roads got that much as well and there could be plenty of knuckleheads out doing a beer run that got stuck on those roads and in the way. There is way more to it than just a Jim Cantore tweet.

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I mean it sounds reasonable but goodness don't you think there is something else going on to block the clearing? I get the frustration and the armchair emergency management but if it's taking this long I for one can't sit here and pin it all on poor planning or incompetence. Something substantial is in the way....it's not like it only snowed a foot on 95 the exits and all of the side roads got that much as well and there could be plenty of knuckleheads out doing a beer run that got stuck on those roads and in the way. There is way more to it than just a Jim Cantore tweet.

To add, holiday traffic with everyone traveling home from wherever they were plus the simple fact that the stretch of 95 that is impacted has the most horrendous traffic on a daily basis regardless of the day or time of day. You could easily say 95 south through Stafford is at a standstill any day of the week and be right...add in a foot or more of snow in 6 hours and there you have it.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can't help but lol at this. At 1pm yesterday Tim Kaine thought, hey, while its puking snow in VA and DC, let me drive 2hrs to the Capitol. So dumb.

Those mushrooms won't be the freshest anymore when they arrive to their destination

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can't help but lol at this. At 1pm yesterday Tim Kaine thought, hey, while its puking snow in VA and DC, let me drive 2hrs to the Capitol. So dumb.

I guess he figured that the snow had basically stopped up here and that it'd be fine. One look at Google maps would have divested him of that idea.

He also could have been making a beer run and wanted to cover his tracks with this tweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• mappy unpinned this topic